PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti... yeah, it's simple, but check out what this has!

Keith
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I've been cooking this every 3 days for the past couple of weeks now and still find it very tasty. Here it is:

- 1 kg of extra lean ground beef
- 1 box (375g) of whole wheat pasta
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce ((Don't go cheap on the sauce, trust me, put your money into a good, tasty sauce that you enjoy (with the least amount of sugar, of course))

Yeah, it's very plain and simple, but if you're short for time or simply don't like cooking, this literally takes 15 minutes to make. Feel free to add in any peppers, onions, home-made sauce, olive oil, etc. for added taste/calories.

Boil half the box of pasta (187.5g) then while that's boiling, cook all the ground beef and seperate them into 3, then toss the whole jar of sauce equally onto them.

Split this up into 3 different meals and each meal consists of:

939 calories
83g of protein
69g of carbs
39g of fat

Enjoy!

Keith
03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Bump for the people who've missed this.

Indifference
03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
some companies also make protein enriched speghetti (if thats not what your using here) that will give it even more of a boost.

Keith
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
some companies also make protein enriched speghetti (if thats not what your using here) that will give it even more of a boost.

True. But not all that necessary considering this recipe already contains 83g of protein in it. I assume it's quite a bit more expensive too and not really worth it.

The Bran Man
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I've been cooking this every 3 days for the past couple of weeks now and still find it very tasty. Here it is:

- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce ((Don't go cheap on the sauce, trust me, put your money into a good, tasty sauce that you enjoy (with the least amount of sugar, of course))

Yeah, it's very plain and simple, but if you're short for time or simply don't like cooking, this literally takes 15 minutes to make. Feel free to add in any peppers, onions, home-made sauce, olive oil, etc. for added taste/calories.

Boil half the box of pasta (187.5g) then while that's boiling, cook all the ground beef and seperate them into 3, then toss the whole jar of sauce equally onto them.

939 calories
83g of protein
69g of carbs
39g of fat

Enjoy!

I do it all the time, it's money!

TWINSCREW
03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
2nd that the brand man

ProLogic
03-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Yeah, it's very plain and simple, but if you're short for time or simply don't like cooking, this literally takes 15 minutes to make. Feel free to add in any peppers, onions, home-made sauce, olive oil, etc. for added taste/calories

939 calories
83g of protein
69g of carbs
39g of fat

Enjoy!

What brand of sauce do you use?

Keith
03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Umm...

It's not coming to me. It's "Traditional" something.. I'll check it out when I get home.

IronGrip IV
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Prego!

Stumprrp
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
this is american chop suey pretty much, tastes good and is a balanced meal, add some melted mozzarella cheese and hot peppers.

bjohnso
03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I like about 300g of noodles, 2-3 cups of sauce, 1/2lb of ground italian sausage, and 2 cups of parmesan. I forgot how many calories that is, but it's a lot.

Nosaj
03-12-2008, 05:09 PM
2 cups of parm? Haha, dang! :evillaugh:

Keith
03-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Umm...

It's not coming to me. It's "Traditional" something.. I'll check it out when I get home.

Healthy Choice.

bjohnso
03-14-2008, 09:23 PM
2 cups of parm? Haha, dang! :evillaugh:

I eat that stuff straight sometimes (serious). Occasionally I snort lines of it.

alex0131
03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
what about whole wheat pasta? any better?

Keith
03-26-2008, 08:46 AM
what about whole wheat pasta? any better?

:scratch:

That's what I recommended in the original recipe.

chevrolet02z28
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
3 different meals huh... but how big are the portions... thats my problem... im usually on the run.. so i need something quick and easy to scarf down...

theman
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
The million $ question here is: How do I cook the meat?:micro:

Keith
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM

?

In a frying pan...

Shouse94
04-19-2008, 12:04 AM

My god...

BG5150
04-22-2008, 07:02 AM

You could brown it in the microwave, but I think it's actually quicker in the pan.

If you want some more flavor, try adding a bay leaf or two to the sauce, and cook on low for about an half hour (for those not in a rush). I sometimes add cumin to my sauce, to give it a little bit different flavor.

An alternative to the pasta is rice. Not sure of the nutrition, tho'.

You could try ground turkey or chicken in place of the beef. Or maybe a mix of the two.

But he's right: it's very quick and easy.

Mik
04-22-2008, 08:29 AM

I would put the meat in a container, wire it to my exhaust manifold so that by the time I cam back from the gym it should be browned and ready to mix with the sauce.

ZenMonkey
04-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I would put the meat in a container, wire it to my exhaust manifold so that by the time I cam back from the gym it should be browned and ready to mix with the sauce.

YES!!!

McIrish
04-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Hey Mik, couldn't find that on Fitday... mind typing out the nutrient breakdown of exhaust-cooked beef? Does it differ it the meat is 5% lean versus 9% lean? Kthanks ;)

Mik
04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Mik, couldn't find that on Fitday... mind typing out the nutrient breakdown of exhaust-cooked beef? Does it differ it the meat is 5% lean versus 9% lean? Kthanks ;)

Only difference being with the lower fat content I would add 2 tbsp of olive oil to prevent sticking. The CO2 levels fall below fitday guidelines so I don't count them. :)

ArmandSV
04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
if you use 1/2 jar of vodka marinara and add 1 cup cottage cheese
and 1/4 cup of Parmesan it gets even better!

the cottage cheese melts and makes it super creamy, adds a bunch of protein and the parm keep the flavor kickin