PDA

View Full Version : Bulking with a full time job..

Altephor
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I got accepted to a fulltime internship for the summer, which I'm worried will effect my bulk. It's a normal 9-5, so obviously I'll be trying to eat a large breakfast, but during work I need suggestions on how to make a fairly balanced but calorie/protein dense lunch.

Snacking during the day is also out.

HP666
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Do you get breaks during the day? Even 15 minutes is enough time to scarf down some sort of protein bar or something.

reisrocks
03-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Full time jobs help with bulking! :

- Sedentary jobs bring your calorie expenditure closer to your basal metabolic rate since you do so much sitting down... your daily expended calories will likely go down, so your excess calories are likely to go up.

- all that sitting will provide you with plenty of rest.. which is when muscle grows, right?!

By the way no reasonable employer will stop you from eating. :tuttut:

In fact even some companies I've worked for which I would classify as "bad" and "overworking" would provide their employees with fruit and mineral water.

Have a good breakfast.. my personal favourite for a feeling of fullness in the morning is 'Shredded Wheat', anything which isn't naturally coloured 'brown' will probably leave you hungry before lunch. Same goes for pasta, rice and bread, go brown. Obviously I'm talking about what to have along with your meat/fish or whatever form your protein comes in.

Then if they really frown upon snacking, eat your bar during your toilet break.. (i'm assuming they let you pee... right?!?!?!?).

All the best.

Altephor
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
By the way no reasonable employer will stop you from eating. :tuttut:

I work in a lab, eating is not allowed.

mickyjune26
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM

good point.

The easiest way to get some cals in is to learn how to swallow a tablespoon of PB at a time. I've learned it and after 12 TB, I've got 1200 extra cals in me. I've also switched to almost just protein and fats during the workday to keep my energy up (that could be just for me).

If you can't swallow PB, make shakes and store them in the break room fridge.

Many people have asked if you get breaks...
...do you?

Brad263
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
i make myself shakes in the morning from the recipes I found in the recipe section. You can get over 1000 calories from just one drink and you can chugg it in ten minutes. I know a lab complicates it a little more but you are probabably enttitled to at least a 15 minute break.

mickyjune26
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
as far as I know, it is the law to get 1 lunch break and two 15 minute breaks if you work 8 hours in the US.

Altephor
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know what I get for breaks I haven't started yet.. I can't do shakes they give me terrible stomach cramps and the runs.

Bupp
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Working 40 hours a week leaves you 128 hours a week in which to eat food. You will be fine.

HahnB
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
9-5? Eat when u get home.

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

So do I.

In a few minutes I am going to leave for a pee pee break and down 2 cans of tuna mixed in fat free mayo in about 5 seconds.

You just have to work around things.

If that means eating larger portions and going longer without food, then that's what you will have to do.

Plus, there is abosoultely no way the entrie building that houses the lab is designated as a clean area. Where do people store their belongings, coats, etc?

Altephor
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
It's true, it's probably not I haven't been given the full tour of the facilities yet. The problem is finding something that is decent to eat yet high in calories and protein that I can make for lunch.

Invain
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I work 10 hour days during the summer and have never had a problem getting food in.

For lunch, I'd generally make some sort of bit meat sandwich, don't skimp on cheese as well. Get some of the bigger 8 ounce flavored yogurts, those are about 250 cals each and taste like dessert. Throw in a banana and maybe a small bag of some mixed nuts. I also use a big tupperware cup with a lid and take a couple cups of milk. You can easily get 1000 to even 1500 calories in a sack lunch if you take the right stuff.

whiteman90909
03-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Almonds-- just leave a tub in your locker and grab a couple handfuls on your breaks.

Maybe whole milk in a water bottle? Can you have drinks?

I'd also make some of the homemade protein bars in the recipe section. Easy cals.

HP666
03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't know what I get for breaks I haven't started yet.. I can't do shakes they give me terrible stomach cramps and the runs.

:whiner:

Altephor
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
:whiner:

Um.. I fail to see how that's whining. I don't drink shakes they upset my stomach pretty badly. All my protein is in some sort of solid form, except for the shake I take before bed because it doesn't bother me when I'm sleeping.

Brad263
03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Um.. I fail to see how that's whining. I don't drink shakes they upset my stomach pretty badly. All my protein is in some sort of solid form, except for the shake I take before bed because it doesn't bother me when I'm sleeping.

Do what I do and set up a fitday account. Go into the goals section and set a goal for dietary fiber intake. That way it will start tracking your fiber. I bet the reason you get stomach aches is because of the lack of fiber. Thats why I get mine. Fiber is never in those shakes because fiber does not dissolve well. So make sure you are eating enough fiber in your diet and you will be fine. Unless you want to add fiber in your shakes but I have tried it both Fiber one cereal and oalmeal when blended gives you a texture that just makes me want to puke instantly.

Negi
03-06-2008, 05:30 AM
It's easy! Have a good sized breakfast, a good sized sandwich which chicken and bacon salad thing (wholemeal bread), good healthy meal in the evening with about 2 pints of whole milk through out the day instead of tea or juice. Once you get used to it, it becomes a way of life not a hobby.

RhodeHouse
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
If you want to get bigger, you'll stop with the excuses and find a way to get it done. DOn't cry about your situation, think, be creative, and come up with ways to eat. It's not that hard. If you're working in a lab, my guess is, you're probably pretty smart. Use your brain for solutions not excuses.

Bupp
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
If you want to get bigger, you'll stop with the excuses and find a way to get it done. DOn't cry about your situation, think, be creative, and come up with ways to eat. It's not that hard. If you're working in a lab, my guess is, you're probably pretty smart. Use your brain for solutions not excuses.

Quoted for truth

themidnighter
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM

You're probably lactose intolerant. Get some Lactaid pills (or an off-brand version). It totally stopped my... "issues." Shakes are the only way I, a hardgainer like you, can manage to get enough calories without feeling like I'm going to die.