PDA

View Full Version : Incoporating Oly Lifts

Runty
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
So I've been doing BGB a few months now and have seen great progress. Gains are still coming but I want to try to incorporate more Olympic lifts into my routine. I am basically doing the example routine Built used. My question is where and what are the best substitutions. I want to ease into the Oly lifting a bit so I figure power cleans would be a good start.

Was going to either my rack pulls or rows with power cleans. Probably leaning toward rack pulls.

Probably replace shrugs with hang jump shrugs.
Already started doing back/front squats with closer stance and deeper.
Only other thing I could think of is replacing military presses with snatch grip BTN press.

I know that more of the people who use Oly lifts check this section so anyone that has any advice about hybrid workouts (PL/OL) would be great. Thanks all.

garjagan
03-04-2008, 05:59 AM
I've just started really working on my Power Cleans and enjoy them a lot. I cant really help with any routine advice, but perhaps the push-press would be a good substitue for a military press, as opposed to the BTN wide grip press. BTN pressing gets a lot of bad-press (excuse the unintended pun). I avoid them along with upright rows.

Notorious
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I've just started really working on my Power Cleans and enjoy them a lot. I cant really help with any routine advice, but perhaps the push-press would be a good substitue for a military press, as opposed to the BTN wide grip press. BTN pressing gets a lot of bad-press (excuse the unintended pun). I avoid them along with upright rows.

Yeah, I was gonna say Push Presses. I don't think they're technically an Oly lift, but they do require some explosiveness.

Travis Bell
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
So I've been doing BGB a few months now and have seen great progress. Gains are still coming but I want to try to incorporate more Olympic lifts into my routine. I am basically doing the example routine Built used. My question is where and what are the best substitutions. I want to ease into the Oly lifting a bit so I figure power cleans would be a good start.

Was going to either my rack pulls or rows with power cleans. Probably leaning toward rack pulls.

Probably replace shrugs with hang jump shrugs.
Already started doing back/front squats with closer stance and deeper.
Only other thing I could think of is replacing military presses with snatch grip BTN press.

I know that more of the people who use Oly lifts check this section so anyone that has any advice about hybrid workouts (PL/OL) would be great. Thanks all.

are you wanting to shift over to Oly lifting completly?

Runty
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I might shift over to just Oly lifting eventually. Haven't really done much of it so I don't know how much I'll like it vs regular lifts. I do want to become much more explosive than I am right now though and it should help tremendously. After looking on the internet for a Oly gym in my area, haven't had much luck but a high school that is certified. Gonna give em a call and see what's the deal.

I might just switch for a bit to get a little change of pace in the routine though. We'll see.

Travis Bell
03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
there are ways to become more explosive in your powerlifitng if thats what you want. I usually recommend that a person choose one or the other as far as powerlifting vs. Oly lifting goes. Mixing the two usually tends to make progress slow in both instead of accelerating progress. Oly lifting requires alot of technique and coordination.

Runty
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm really trying to become more explosive as an all around athlete. Basketball is the sport I play most. Usually just pick up games and such but I play a few times a week, even more in summer. One of my BIGGEST goals is to be able to dunk. I've been about 1-2'' away for some time now. I stopped lifting weights and did plyo and was able to dunk every now and then. Then I stopped plyo and started lifting and can dunk like 1 in 25 tries. But I have put on 30+ pounds from the weights. I feel like I should be able to dunk just about every time I want, especially in a no defense situation. I think I'll just start doing some accessory Oly lifting to see how I like it. Most of the recommendations have been like the ones you guys mentioned. Power cleans, hang cleans, push press, jump shrugs, etc. Don't have bumpers so I'll have to weight to mess around with snatches for a while.