PDA

View Full Version : New squat PR today!

txmike1
03-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Finally got 405 to legal depth, belt only. I had THOUGHT that I hit it before, but after videoing myself I saw I was probably 2 inches high (I work out alone so nobody to judge for me, the camera is a cruel reality check sometimes) so I adjusted and had to work back up (went all the way back down to 275 max at depth, amazing how much more ham/glutes come in to play when you don't stop short!) Took me 2 months to build back up to 4 pps but it felt GREAT!

ME Legs went like this today:

135 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 5
315 x 2
345 x 2
375 x 2 (add belt)
405 x 1

Then I did SLDL 5x5 @ 275 (no straps, been working on grip strength)
and some calf/ab stuff to finish it off.

Been reading the posts here for a while, and am VERY motivated by the numbers/videos some of the guys put up! Keep em comin'!

mickyjune26
03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
nice dude. i really respect that you took a step back and worked up to 405 again, this time in good form. With that mentality you'll really tear it up.

btw - I grew up in Harlan, IA, just 40 miles from omaha. We used to go to "The City" all the time, lol.

Surpised to see your squat is more than your deadlift! :)

Travis Bell
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Great work man!

txmike1
03-04-2008, 04:42 PM
nice dude. i really respect that you took a step back and worked up to 405 again, this time in good form. With that mentality you'll really tear it up.

btw - I grew up in Harlan, IA, just 40 miles from omaha. We used to go to "The City" all the time, lol.

Surpised to see your squat is more than your deadlift! :)

Funny I grew up in Duncanville, Tx about 40 miles from Denton....guess we switched ends! LOL

Yeah I need to do more good mornings and such and lift my DL numbers, I never did them until about 3 months ago, so I'm sure they'll catch up eventually! Thanks for the positive response!

Also thanks Travis, means a lot coming from someone with your experience!

joey54
03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Good stuff. You'll be repping out that weight soon enough.

Ben Moore
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Nice work!!!

bigmoney
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
You're in Omaha? Look up Big Iron Gym. They're one of the strongest powerlifting gyms in the US.

txmike1
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
You're in Omaha? Look up Big Iron Gym. They're one of the strongest powerlifting gyms in the US.

I've heard good things about Big Iron (the owner of "The Fitness Studio" in Elkhorn where I workout is a member there - Jason Groves). He's been giving me good pointers, at some point I'll head over there, but right now I need the 24 hour access and I can't get on a regular schedule because of work. I'd hate to find good partners and not be able to get there on a regular basis.

If all works well, that will change this summer, then I'll hit Big Iron for my ME days and keep the fitness studio for DE - at least that's the plan.

Thanks for the suggestion!:)

BPM Osgood
03-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Awesome Job Bro! Keep up the Hard work! I would put the belt on after the 225, this will help you keep tight allowing you to push more weight! It will also save your back! Once again Awesome Job Bro!

txmike1
03-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Awesome Job Bro! Keep up the Hard work! I would put the belt on after the 225, this will help you keep tight allowing you to push more weight! It will also save your back! Once again Awesome Job Bro!

Most of the things I've read recommend adding the belt when you get to 90%+ of your max, which is what I've been going by. You're suggesting around 65% - would you do this all the time, or only on ME days? I don't want to become dependent on the belt, but then again I want to get the most benefit out of it as well. (right now I don't wear the belt at all on DE/RE days is why I ask)

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Travis Bell
03-07-2008, 06:19 AM
you won't be come dependant on a belt, but it'll reduce the risk of a lower back injury, while helping you to tighten up your core

BPM Osgood
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
you won't be come dependant on a belt, but it'll reduce the risk of a lower back injury, while helping you to tighten up your core

Thanks TB!

I find it also makes the warm-ups easier, saving your strength for the Big Numbers!

txmike1
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks TB!

I find it also makes the warm-ups easier, saving your strength for the Big Numbers!

Thanks guys! I definitely want to save as much strength for the "big numbers" as I can......I'll try adding the belt earlier, and work on pressing out on it (man my sides hurt so much the next day after I did that the first time).

chris mason
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Good lift! Four plates is a nice milestone!

BPM Osgood
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys! I definitely want to save as much strength for the "big numbers" as I can......I'll try adding the belt earlier, and work on pressing out on it (man my sides hurt so much the next day after I did that the first time).

No Pro Bro, Thats what where here for! I found that my sides got used to it over time! Just stick with it and your Squat will continue to Go Up!

frank
03-08-2008, 05:30 PM
i would put on the belt after you do a warmup set aswell, good work