PDA

View Full Version : My squat needs work

Kiaran
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
So I posted this vid of my squat tonight in my journal along with a very colorful analysis of it. In short, I am not happy with the way it went this evening and have ideas of what went wrong but would love your guys feedback. Here is what I see:

1) My knees cave in at the bottom
2) The weight feels heavy and it's only 225, wtf. I can deadlift 405 for 5 reps, why is 225 a problem on my squat? Perhaps I am being ignorant.
3) I am coming up onto my toes on some reps, why?
4) If I attempt to "sit back" farther, I tend to tilt my trunk forward more. Is this natural or a problem? If I try to stay more upright, I fall backwards.

Also, I feel like my legs are very long in proportion to my torso. Could this create an imbalance in leverage when I attempt to sit back, thus causing my form to fall to pieces or is this strictly flexibility issues?

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Squat Analysis - Problems - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK8nN4O2yKcWK8nN4O2yKc

Travis Bell
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
It looks like you need to turn your feet out a little bit. When you get to the top, don't bounce around like that moving your feet all around. I'd get a box to help you sit back more but normally if someone is comming up on their toes (meaning that the heels are leaving the ground) they are squatting too much over their toes.

The weight doesn't look like its too hard for you so if it feels heavy, just keep squatting and it'll get better but you can't really compare deadlift to squat, one is pushing down on you, the other is pulling on you. One is in front of you, the other is behind you. Overall, not the worst form on earth, just work on pushing your knees out

garjagan
03-05-2008, 05:10 AM
I too have proportionally long thighs. It's an issue I've only just started to notice properly. It means that to keep your shins fairly vertical, you need to lean your torso forward more, which isnt good. The only solution I have found is super wide stance, sumo style. This brings the knees back and allows you to keep your torso more upright, but means that it's practically enitirely a glute/hamstring movement. It really lets you know just how strong your hammies are. In my case - weak as ****!

RedSpikeyThing
03-05-2008, 06:11 AM
1) My knees cave in at the bottom
2) The weight feels heavy and it's only 225, wtf. I can deadlift 405 for 5 reps, why is 225 a problem on my squat? Perhaps I am being ignorant.
3) I am coming up onto my toes on some reps, why?
4) If I attempt to "sit back" farther, I tend to tilt my trunk forward more. Is this natural or a problem? If I try to stay more upright, I fall backwards.

1) "Spread the floor" - Instead of pushing down through the soles of your shoes, try pushing out the sides of your shoes.

2) Who knows. The way it feels is almost completly independent on how you much you can lift. I've set PRs when my warmups felt "heavy" *shrug*

3) I don't know why, but it will probably be fixed by 1). I don't know if this is good or not, but I cured it by lifting my toes up when I squat. It made it impossible to use my toes.

4) Yes, this is natural. Find what is comfortable for you and stick with it.

BPM Osgood
03-05-2008, 07:09 AM
It looks like you need to turn your feet out a little bit. When you get to the top, don't bounce around like that moving your feet all around. I'd get a box to help you sit back more but normally if someone is comming up on their toes (meaning that the heels are leaving the ground) they are squatting too much over their toes.

The weight doesn't look like its too hard for you so if it feels heavy, just keep squatting and it'll get better but you can't really compare deadlift to squat, one is pushing down on you, the other is pulling on you. One is in front of you, the other is behind you. Overall, not the worst form on earth, just work on pushing your knees out

Im with Travis On this! Also get a Belt, this will help your overall strength by keeping you tight. Also it saves the Back!