PDA

View Full Version : One Legged Squat

Rocket Reidy
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey,

So for some reason ( i think its is from playing baseball for 10 years and always running around the bases)
one of my legs is noticeably bigger (if i pointed it out to you, you would notice it) and stronger. and squatting has been making them both stronger like it should but they haven't been balancing out. i was recommended One Legged Squats and Leg Press doing six sets but alternating legs each set and doing the same weight on my strong leg as i do on my weak leg so that my weak leg can catch up so to speak on my strong leg.

so i did this and i was quite suprised. with my strong leg i could do about 25pounds more then what i could do with my other leg. so i hope to close that gap and make both legs more evened out. (i'm a sprinter and a kick returner in football, its important that my legs are balanced)

now my question is
i did 10reps on each leg for one legged squats with 95pounds on my back
is that roughly equivalent to plain back squatting 190pounds 10 times? or are there other factors that go into play please excuse my ignorance if not...

MihalikPJ
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
now my question is
is that roughly equivalent to plain back squatting 190pounds 10 times? or are there other factors that go into play please excuse my ignorance if not...

Sorry but they are not equivalent. You should be able to squat more with two legs than with each leg combined. With just one leg you rely much more on stabilizing muscles than with two legs on the ground. With just one leg you have to expend so much more energy into balancing that you could not push as much weight.

If you want to bring that other leg up to par prioritize it and maybe even add extra set(s). What I mean by prioritizing is to work it first during your sets when you are fresh that way you can expend to most amount of energy to that leg. Hopefully this helps, Good luck!

Sensei
03-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm curious what you mean by "one legged squat". I'm just assuming it's not pistols...

You can't really compare one-legged to regular squats - the two are totally different and a heavy barbell squat is going to stress your core/posterior chain a lot more than a unilateral exercise.

Xellarz
03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Like they said, it's not the same...like with bench they say your combined DB Bench total should be roughly 80% of your BB Bench total...just cuz of stabilization, etc. Anyways, if you're just wondering what the weight technically would feel like it would be:
if you weigh 146lbs (like your sig. says) and you used 95lbs, then it'd kind of be like squatting 336lbs on 2 legs.

Given that, I also am curious what you were doing cuz I'd assume they weren't pistols.

tomv
03-06-2008, 04:03 AM
Dude i'm **** impressed that you did 10 one legged squats with 95lbs on your back... if they were proper one legged squats.

Guido
03-06-2008, 07:41 AM
^I just want to know how he balanced a 95 lb bar on his back while doing one-legged squats! Either he used a Smith Machine, a leg press machine, or he has pretty freakishly good balance.

tomv
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
How heavy does the XVest go up too?

Rocket Reidy
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
no. i didn't do a Pistol... i do do those though. just not with weight a barebell on my back...

no i did a squats on one leg as in, 95pounds on my back, squat on one leg, with the other leg on a step behind me (but not helping me push up, just there in case i lose balance...)

i think i could regular squat around 300 once (i can do 275 3 and a half times...) right now i weigh 145lbs. i am a sprinter and i have fairly powerfull and coordinated legs for my size. (my upper body is dreafull though)

MihalikPJ
03-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Yea thats called a Bulgarian Split Squat I do them all the time. I do them with a barbell and get up to 135lbs.

kellefson
03-13-2008, 10:24 AM

You must account for your body weight when trying to find the ratio between the two.

Find 80% of your body weight because you have one leg you are resting on a bench behind you (each leg accounts for roughly 20% of your body weight… ROUGHLY) 145 x .8 = 116 lbs.

Add that to the 95 lbs you have on your back: 116+95= 211 lbs.

Multiply by 2 to find a full squat (body weight included): 422 lbs.

Subtract your body weight to find squat poundage: 422-145= 277 lbs.

Therefore, in your case, a 95 lb Bulgarian is roughly the equivalent of doing a 277 lb squat.

This only figures for your legs however. The forces on your back and core are obviously different from a squat to a Bulgarian squat.

And it varies from person to person because of body weight issues, and it is a rough estimate since not everyone’s leg weighs exactly 20 percent of their body weight, but as you can see it is fairly close.

schmitty199
03-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I cant imagine doing them with a barbell on my back, ive always used dumbells.

Sensei
03-13-2008, 05:46 PM
You must account for your body weight when trying to find the ratio between the two.

Find 80% of your body weight because you have one leg you are resting on a bench behind you (each leg accounts for roughly 20% of your body weight… ROUGHLY) 145 x .8 = 116 lbs.

Add that to the 95 lbs you have on your back: 116+95= 211 lbs.

Multiply by 2 to find a full squat (body weight included): 422 lbs.

Subtract your body weight to find squat poundage: 422-145= 277 lbs.

Therefore, in your case, a 95 lb Bulgarian is roughly the equivalent of doing a 277 lb squat.

This only figures for your legs however. The forces on your back and core are obviously different from a squat to a Bulgarian squat.

And it varies from person to person because of body weight issues, and it is a rough estimate since not everyone’s leg weighs exactly 20 percent of their body weight, but as you can see it is fairly close.Those are interesting calculations, but I'm curious how you came up with it. I'm not saying they are way off base for everyone, but me doing BSSQ w. 135 (@200lbs) is nothing like squatting w. 400lbs. JMO.