PDA

View Full Version : I don't eat breakfast or lunch...

HighSchoolGuy
03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
So basically I wake up at 8am, hit snooze 3 times, get up, shower, brush my teeth and go to school. I'm never hungry in the morning so no breakfast. Lunch time comes around and I'm still not hungry, I used to eat lunch but ever since I got braces and I became self conscious about food getting stuck in my teeth. When I come home at 4pm, I ATTACK my refrigerator. I'll eat at 4, 5, 6:30, 7, 9, 10, 12. Then same thing happens the next day. How bad is this? I'm currently on a bulk and I've been gaining weight and increasing my lifts. I read that as long as I get my calorie requirements it doesn't matter if I eat it over 6 meals or one huge meal.

RedSpikeyThing
03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Ideal? No. Will it work? Apprently it does.

Personally, I find it easy to eat nothing all day if I don't have anything in the morning. Having anything in the morning is like priming the engine and I'm hungry for the rest of the day. Try getting up earlier and choke down anything you can.

mickyjune26
03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
it's pretty bad. Your body is breaking down muscle for energy by the time you wake up. When you don't eat, about 50% of energy is from muscle mass and 50% is from fat, depending on your genetics (this is my opinion from observation, not research)

think you could handle making a shake and slam it down in the morning?

we can figure out lunch after you decide on a morning solution.

Slim Schaedle
03-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Plenty of people are successful while employing these methods.

Look up Intermitent Fasting.

Fast all day, gorge at night.

mickyjune26
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Really? man, I have a lot to learn! Do powerlifters and really large people do this too?

Slim Schaedle
03-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Really? man, I have a lot to learn! Do powerlifters and really large people do this too?

The concept is to cut and remain lean while increasing and/or maintaining mass.

I would assume most powerlifters would sway away from bodybuilder-type dietary techniches.

As far as being huge and lean, the drugs help that cause immensly, so more extreme dietary techniques for naturtals (such as UD2) are not needed as much.

bjohnso
03-05-2008, 04:07 PM
How the **** do you get away with waking up at 8am when you're in high school?

TopCat
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Lol! I didn't even think of that.

HighSchoolGuy
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM

hahah what do you mean?
school starts at 9:15am, my bus comes at 8:45am(bus stop is right across my street), takes me straight to the school. I'm in canada, I don't know if they have them in the U.S but there are special route buses that take you to schools in the city.

Edit:
drinking morning shakes before school won't work, protein farts in class are unbearable. I take my shake before I go to sleep so I can let it all out and not notice ;)

RedSpikeyThing
03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Edit:
drinking morning shakes before school won't work, protein farts in class are unbearable. I take my shake before I go to sleep so I can let it all out and not notice ;)
bahahaha I've had that happen on more than one occassion. Seriously, though, just find something you can eat. Get up an hour earlier and try to choke it down. It takes practice.

bjohnso
03-05-2008, 08:09 PM
hahah what do you mean?
school starts at 9:15am, my bus comes at 8:45am(bus stop is right across my street), takes me straight to the school. I'm in canada, I don't know if they have them in the U.S but there are special route buses that take you to schools in the city.

Edit:

WTF? High school started at 7:35am for me. God damn, 9:15 sounds like a ****ing dream. LOL!

Bako Lifter
03-05-2008, 08:25 PM
That's what I do. I don't eat breakfast because I don't have time, and I don't eat lunch either. My first meal is at 3:00 before my workout. Then I go home and feast.

whiteman90909
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
WTF? High school started at 7:35am for me. God damn, 9:15 sounds like a ****ing dream. LOL!

7:20 here :(

Wednesday.
03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Stick a few bananas in your backpack. You dont even have to chew a banana.

Wolverine
03-05-2008, 09:04 PM

I was wondering the same thing! When 8am rolled around I was usually at a desk trying not to get caught napping by the teacher.

getb1g
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
7:20 here :(

7:56 here

and about the protein farts... i rarely get them from nitrean.

Negi
03-06-2008, 05:19 AM
haha!

One thing puzzles me though... I have trouble eating 3500 calories in the whole day, how do you do it in a few hours

:omg:

PelleK
03-06-2008, 06:02 AM
6 bigmacs and a shake? nom nom nom

Commute
03-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm up at 5:30 and usually have some sort of breakfast in me by 6. I've been trying not to eat after 7-8, but that's just what works for me.

325rider
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Dude. If you want to be 10 pounds bigger of pure muscle OR MORE in a few months. GORGE in the morning :shootsyou: I SWEAR. In one month of eating all morning and at noon you will see results. I dont even know how u dont die by 4pm unless u dont lift, are a stick, and dont do sports (like i used to)

mickyjune26
03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
7:56 here

and about the protein farts... i rarely get them from nitrean.

Marching band started at 7:15. Man, I hated marching band. I was always late.

Same here, Nitrean never gave me the farts. Raw oats on the other hand.... :fart:

garjagan
03-06-2008, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=HighSchoolGuy;1885149]So basically I wake up at 8am, hit snooze 3 times, get up, shower, brush my teeth and go to school. I'm never hungry in the morning so no breakfast.QUOTE]

Well I'd just say that if you're serious about bulking, hunger has nothing to do with whether you eat or not. You should just eat. All the experts say get a good breakfast, so I'd go along with that and make sure you eat as much as you can before school.

325rider
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Well I'd just say that if you're serious about bulking, hunger has nothing to do with whether you eat or not. You should just eat. All the experts say get a good breakfast, so I'd go along with that and make sure you eat as much as you can before school.

^^^Im with stupid^^^

325rider
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM

^^^Im with ya^^^

Torrok
03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
well your basically screwing up your metabolism. try not eating at night and see if your hungry in the morning, if not, make a shake and chug it. if you HAVE to skip somthing, make it dinner never breakfast. dont risk damaging your metabolism and screwing alot of things up for yourself

bjohnso
03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
well your basically screwing up your metabolism. try not eating at night and see if your hungry in the morning, if not, make a shake and chug it. if you HAVE to skip somthing, make it dinner never breakfast. dont risk damaging your metabolism and screwing alot of things up for yourself

Why would skipping breakfast be better than skipping dinner, and why would it damage your metabolism?

Slim Schaedle
03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
well your basically screwing up your metabolism.

Sorry, FALSE

ddegroff
03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Plenty of people are successful while employing these methods.

Look up Intermitent Fasting.

Fast all day, gorge at night.

Yup, been doing this for the last few months.

It's actually easier than all of you think.

Slim Schaedle
03-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Yup, been doing this for the last few months.

It's actually easier than all of you think.

I have been kind of accidently doing it, in conjunction with UD2.

So weekly depletions combined with internittent fasting...haha.

All it takes is a but of ephedrine to knock out appetite.

ddegroff
03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I have been kind of accidently doing it, in conjunction with UD2.

So weekly depletions combined with internittent fasting...haha.

All it takes is a but of ephedrine to knock out appetite.

Yeah that works. Usually for me I'm fasting during work so I don't have time to think about it. Just knowing I can stuff my face after the workout is all it takes.

bjohnso
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
What does fasting do for you, exactly? I find myself accidentally doing it too.

Torrok
03-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Why would skipping breakfast be better than skipping dinner, and why would it damage your metabolism?

you skip breakfast, lets say. then you awaken. you wait maybe another 10-12 hours before you eat, your body hits "survival" mode in which it holds on dearly to fat, because it thinks there is a famine. it SLOWS down, and slows all your the least important processes in your body to preserve energy. if you eat first, your body knows it has food and somthing to live off of.

skipping dinner would just be like finishing off your day, you finish burning the energy you got left, then sleep.

ddegroff
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
What does fasting do for you, exactly? I find myself accidentally doing it too.

Increases insulin sensitivity. Uses the cals you eat for muscle building and nothing else. Or that's what's claimed. There was a good thread on here a little while ago.

bjohnso
03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
you skip breakfast, lets say. then you awaken. you wait maybe another 10-12 hours before you eat, your body hits "survival" mode in which it holds on dearly to fat, because it thinks there is a famine. it SLOWS down, and slows all your the least important processes in your body to preserve energy. if you eat first, your body knows it has food and somthing to live off of.

skipping dinner would just be like finishing off your day, you finish burning the energy you got left, then sleep.

According to several people in the know, this is not true.

Increases insulin sensitivity. Uses the cals you eat for muscle building and nothing else. Or that's what's claimed. There was a good thread on here a little while ago.

I'll do a search.

RedSpikeyThing
03-06-2008, 05:35 PM

please listen to slim. He knows what he's talking about.

Slim Schaedle
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM

You are sort of on track with some of this, but alot of it you do not have a clear understanding of....but with popular media, most people don't.

Survival mode? Yeah, sort of. But that is used to an advantage.

I am not going to go into the numerous hormonal responses, etc and reasons why this is utilized b/c then we would just have another book called UD 2.142637
written by Jeff Schaedle. So spend money on Lyle's site if you want the nitty gritty.

Intentional short-term controlled starvation causing you to hold onto fat?

NO ...... Again, refer to UD2 or IF.

Do you realize what you actually have to do to slow down your entire metabolism as a whole?

Read up on what happens when you sleep as far as energy and biosynthetic processes......I am not exactly sure what you are saying in that last sentence.

HighSchoolGuy
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
So uhh, i'm getting 50-50 answers haha. People always tell me, "if it ain't broke don't fix it," but I'm scared of long term results like maybe my stomach acid will eat my insides and I'll get an ulcer or something from fasting every morning.

themidnighter
03-07-2008, 11:55 AM
So uhh, i'm getting 50-50 answers haha. People always tell me, "if it ain't broke don't fix it," but I'm scared of long term results like maybe my stomach acid will eat my insides and I'll get an ulcer or something from fasting every morning.

You're in high school. You're still a kid, you'll grow no matter what. Don't worry about this. As long as you eat a lot, it won't matter when or how.

Also: stop being a chick and worrying about food getting caught in your braces. :rolleyes: If it bothers you that much, bring a toothbrush and brush after you eat in the bathroom. ;)

Torrok
03-07-2008, 02:40 PM
please listen to slim. He knows what he's talking about.

and Tom Venuto doesnt? look him up sometime mate..

Slim Schaedle
03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
and Tom Venuto doesnt? look him up sometime mate..

Link us or copy-and-paste where he said specifically what you said about going several hours without food impairing your metabolism.

Torrok
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Link us or copy-and-paste where he said specifically what you said about going several hours without food impairing your metabolism.

its all covered in a huge chapter in his book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

its a "E-book" basically its ran through a program on the computer, unfortunatly i cant copy it. program wont let me/ copywright issues.

tho you know who he is? natural bodybuilder, he's pretty much amazing.

Slim Schaedle
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
its all covered in a huge chapter in his book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

its a "E-book" basically its ran through a program on the computer, unfortunatly i cant copy it. program wont let me/ copywright issues.

tho you know who he is? natural bodybuilder, he's pretty much amazing.

Honestly, I don't care who he is.

There is alot of well known successful people who look great and make tons of money.

Unfortunately that does not automatically give them a free card for being right.

Lyle McDOnald is very smart and respected, but the reason people listen to him is not b/c he deadlifts 900lbs, is 280 pounds at 5% BF, and has won a ton of compeitions.......b/c he hasn't

Torrok
03-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Honestly, I don't care who he is.

There is alot of well known successful people who look great and make tons of money.

Unfortunately that does not automatically give them a free card for being right.

Lyle McDOnald is very smart and respected, but the reason people listen to him is not b/c he deadlifts 900lbs, is 280 pounds at 5% BF, and has won a ton of compeitions.......b/c he hasn't

sure there are, but if what he says turned him into a Ton of muscle at *3% bodyfat, then why should we or anybody else do the opposite?

you might say that everybody is different and that one persons ideas doesnt fit all, which is extremely true. but this guy had somthing to prove, he's esperimented on himself with just about every possible food, he knows how to seriously cut bodyfat. so why not listen?

RhodeHouse
03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Lots of drugs got that guy to 5%

CrazyK
03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Try getting in a shake in the morning. While there might not be a negative effect on your metabolism, I do believe not eating breakfast/lunch would have a negative effect on one's energy levels, and mood.

Slim Schaedle
03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
sure there are, but if what he says turned him into a Ton of muscle at *3% bodyfat, then why should we or anybody else do the opposite?

you might say that everybody is different and that one persons ideas doesnt fit all, which is extremely true. but this guy had somthing to prove, he's esperimented on himself with just about every possible food, he knows how to seriously cut bodyfat. so why not listen?

I'm not getting into all the stuff about metabloic differnces bewteen people, etc etc., or why we should listen to some and not others.

All I am telling you, and whoever else, is that you will not impair your metabolism by skipping breakfast, lunch, dinner, and pigging out at night.

Imparing your metabolism takes a great big donkey-sized caloric deficit over and extended period of time.

In your words, you said the OP is screwing up his metabolism. I am saying you are incorrect.

If you want to somehow provide us with Venuto's exact words, maybe we can talk about it.

Torrok
03-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not getting into all the stuff about metabloic differnces bewteen people, etc etc., or why we should listen to some and not others.

All I am telling you, and whoever else, is that you will not impair your metabolism by skipping breakfast, lunch, dinner, and pigging out at night.

Imparing your metabolism takes a great big donkey-sized caloric deficit over and extended period of time.

In your words, you said the OP is screwing up his metabolism. I am saying you are incorrect.

If you want to somehow provide us with Venuto's exact words, maybe we can talk about it.

Direct Quote from the book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

"Skipping meals(or leaving long gaps between meals) is the cardinal sin of fat-burning and muscle-building nutrition. Missing meals slows down your metabolism, causes muslce loss, and triggers your body's starvation responses."

i just typed up the intro to a whole chapter...

Spawn
03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
i'm the same.. i dont eat breakfast at home (dang snooze button!). when i cant i'll gulp down 3 cups of milk then rush to work... but i definitely try to grab a bite by 11am when i'm at the office. packing bananas helps too.... it's just discipline.

skipping breakfast and lunch is not healthy, dude. you could be setting yourself up for stomach problems in the long run.

BalancedMan
03-15-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm similar in not eating breakfast. I tr however, to at least grab a banana or 2 scoops of protein w/ 16 oz of milk. Bring it to school and drink it through first period or something.