PDA

View Full Version : Taking a martial art...

Altephor
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
So this is my last semester, and I thought a nice gift to myself for graduation would be to do a little Muay Thai training this summer. I'm working 40 hrs a week but there is a fairly local place then does beginner adult Muay Thai 3 nights a week, and they also do BJJ which I might dabble in a bit. How should my workout change?, is my question. Right now I do BGB on M-T-Th-F. Should I switch to a different split? Should I focus on a different type of training (cardio/conditioning vs strength?). Should I not change at all? What's the general consensus? I'm sure it's a bit tiring doing heavy deadlift and bench and then going and getting my ass kicked for 2 hours.

CrazyK
03-08-2008, 02:53 PM
A few questions...

Do you plan on competing?

If not, is it more important for you to get bigger and stronger or advance yourself in the martial arts?

samj
03-09-2008, 08:31 AM
personally i would do something like this... 3nigths lifting
first night, bench
tbar row

second night, deadlift
pullup

third night, squat
dip

nice short lifting sessions keeping it low reps and heavy and doin mauy thai for indurance.:ninja:

left hook
03-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I have boxing 4 times a week and still manage to make gains and lift on a 4 day split (chest,back,legs,shoulders). You have to plan everything out so you get enough rest and be consistent. And eat eat eat of course.

Blacksmith
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
If your workout works for your strength and size all your going to need to do is balance the time your using to workout. It's a problem I have during wrestling season I'll get home from practice (which is everyday so if your only going 3 days it should work out for you pretty good) and I'll have planned on lifting but after a hard practice I tend to change my mind.

LoneJeeper
03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
When I was in MMA, i switched to crossfit workouts. I still did 'beach muscle' lifts, though.