PDA

View Full Version : How to do wide stance squats

BFGUITAR
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
What's the best way to learn how to squat with a wide stance? Of course, practicing wide squat stances help but I think flexibility comes in to play. My groin region really takes a beating when I go wide. What do you guys recommend I do?

Runty
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Stretching and foam rolling really helped my flexibility.

Detard
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
If I dont properly warm up my hips and stretch before squatting, I wont hit depth. Foam rolling is great too.

BFGUITAR
03-09-2008, 11:42 AM
What are some good stretching exercises?

Lones Green
03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
stretching and warming up definetely helps. fire hydrants help me a lot. also, try working your hip flexors by doubling a band (if you are just starting wide stance squats, i'd start with a mini) and putting both your legs through it to where its up on your hips, close to your knees. practice pushing your knees out against the band tension. it will help strengthen your hip flexors. they also make a machine for this, but with a band you don't look as lame. ;)

BFGUITAR
03-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I saw one guy use them... he was box squatting 4 plates with speed... where can I get these bands?

And I am confused on how to use them lol.

Travis Bell
03-09-2008, 12:09 PM
www.elitefts.com

jbrin0tk
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I saw one guy use them... he was box squatting 4 plates with speed... where can I get these bands?

And I am confused on how to use them lol.

I believe one of Sensei's squat Rx videos talks about how to use bands when squatting, though I don't remember which specific video. I think the video may have had something along the lines of "training with bands and chains" in the title.

Lones Green
03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I believe one of Sensei's squat Rx videos talks about how to use bands when squatting, though I don't remember which specific video. I think the video may have had something along the lines of "training with bands and chains" in the title.

yeah, Sensei's videos are great tools, i'd suggest watching them. if you buy a band pack from www.elitefts.com it has a training with bands manual in it that has pretty much all the info you need. if you have any other questions im sure either the guys at elite fts would answer a question in the Q&A, or there are plenty of people on here that would be happy to answer your questions.

smokinHawk
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
i would move your stance out slowely over time if your interested in making that your normal stance, when ever i move a grip or foot placement, it works best to do it little bit at a timeand eventually i get more weight versus moving it to the point cut and dry.

RedSpikeyThing
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
an excessively wide stance without equipment is going to be hard on your groin no matter what you do. A lot of it has to do with flexibility, so I'm with hawk...work it out over time.

WORLD
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Every time I use wide stance, epecially on the box, I can feel the tightness in my groin. I just do several sets to warm up while increasing the weight until it loosens up. I've never tried using bands, though. I'll also do some groin stretches http://www.aculife.com.au/stretches/groin.php. This works for me.

But like others said, work on it over time. Ask some powerlifters!

BFGUITAR
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Im going to spread it over time for sure, thanks!

Big Hick
03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
1 word: yoga haha

Ben Moore
03-15-2008, 08:04 PM
2nd word - briefs, LOL.

BFGUITAR
03-16-2008, 02:13 AM
What ive been doing is having a very wide stance with no bar and squatting down to slightly below parallel and holding that position, I'm just trying to get my groin region more adapted.

bcraig5509
03-16-2008, 08:36 AM
stretching and warming up definetely helps. fire hydrants help me a lot. also, try working your hip flexors by doubling a band (if you are just starting wide stance squats, i'd start with a mini) and putting both your legs through it to where its up on your hips, close to your knees. practice pushing your knees out against the band tension. it will help strengthen your hip flexors. they also make a machine for this, but with a band you don't look as lame. ;)

Haha. We call them Sharon Stones.

chinaz
03-16-2008, 11:20 AM
well,

your right.
flexibility has ALOT to do with it.

Practice heavy and each time you do it, go a little wider.

But, then again, what works for a girl doesn't always work for a guy.

:/

stretching ??