PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Getting Shredded

PPP
03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
My goal for the summer is to lose 45 pounds. I'm at 235 pounds right now.

Here's my plan to hit 190 pounds by the end of the summer:

Decrease calories by 250 each week. Going from 4,500 to 3,000.
Once I hit 3,000 calories, stay there for 4 weeks while doing HIIT 2x/week
If not satisfied with the amount of fat lost, decrease calories by 250 until I hit 2,000. Stay there for a month and see how my body reacts to it. Also, take Nitor.
The protein and fat stay the same, the only thing that I will reduce is the amount of carbs I take in. Once I get down to 2,000 or so I am sure I will have to reduce a little protein as well.

How does this plan look? I've been to Built's site and that's where I got most of this information from (not saying this is exactly what you wrote but the general idea). I got the 2,000 calorie plan from your site as well, I think you recommened that for Hatred's cutting diet.

My questions are:

Is 2,000 calories too low? Even for just a month?
What kind of bodyfat is obtainable naturally? 5%?
To get totally shredded what other things would you recommend I do? I would really like to hit 7% or below.

Notorious
03-09-2008, 07:36 PM
2000 is definitely too low. At 190, I would expect your maintenance to be 3000+, but I guess it depends.

If your maintenance is 4500, I would just take off 500-1000 right off the bat. Is there a reason you want to gradually decrease calories? As long as you are not burning too much muscle, your maintenance should not be drastically dropping (I think a lb of fat burns something like 7 cal/day, can't remember exactly, while a lb of muscle burns around 60).

I think 5% would be possible to achieve, but very very difficult. You would probably have to do something like UD 2.0 to get there.

Also, are you lifting at all? This is very important for retaining muscle. Make sure you are also, getting enough protein, but you probably already knew that.

PPP
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
2000 is definitely too low. At 190, I would expect your maintenance to be 3000+, but I guess it depends.

That's what I figured, too, my maintance at 200 would be 3,000.

If your maintenance is 4500, I would just take off 500-1000 right off the bat. Is there a reason you want to gradually decrease calories?

I have no idea what my maintnance right now is. I am coming off from a bulk though.

The reason why I am gradually decreasing my calories by 250 is because I don't want to lose any strength while cutting.

Notorious
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I guess if you don't know your maintenance then decreasing by 250 a week would probably be a good bet.

deeder
03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I guess if you don't know your maintenance then decreasing by 250 a week would probably be a good bet.

Also, dropping 1000 calories is a good way to send a clear message to your body to go into starvation mode and keep as much fat as it can.

JohnnyBrown
03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Also, dropping 1000 calories is a good way to send a clear message to your body to go into starvation mode and keep as much fat as it can.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not planning on dropping 1000 cals, just curious why it would cause the body to keep fat, rather than lose it.

Thanks

KingNothing
03-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Could you elaborate on this? I'm not planning on dropping 1000 cals, just curious why it would cause the body to keep fat, rather than lose it.

Thanks

Your body is a master at survival. If you're eating too few calories, it will go in to starvation mode in which it will first consume all unnecessary muscle, then it will go to work on the fat it has saved up.

PPP
03-14-2008, 08:01 PM
so besides dropping 1,000 calories a day, which I would rather not do, is there any other advice from anyone out there? mods?

Does the diet look allright, I plan on going down to 2,000 calories, is that going to be ok or is that to low?

bjohnso
03-14-2008, 08:53 PM
2,000 seems awfully low to me. Decreasing calories by 250 each week seems like a good start (like in your original post). Take it from there.

If you drop calories too fast you'll lose a ton of strength, and that sucks donkey dick.

Slim Schaedle
03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
My goal for the summer is to lose 45 pounds. I'm at 235 pounds right now.

Here's my plan to hit 190 pounds by the end of the summer:

Realistically, I would give yourself almost year to lose that much.

Although dropping water, newbie gains/loss, etc. are going to make things more interesting.

Slim Schaedle
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
just curious why it would cause the body to keep fat, rather than lose it.

Thanks

Ever see those women who barely eat anything, pound the treadmill, and never change their physical appearence?

The short answer to your question is hormones.

The long answer is, ... well...long

Slim Schaedle
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I read your plan closer.

If you really do that, you can probabaly kiss all the muscle you gained from bulking goodbye.

If you bulk using a certain caloric number or range, your body needs close to that number for all that new muscle to "survive."

If you aren't using drugs, what do you think is going to happen when you drop cals that low so suddenly, and all the hormones, etc that allowed you to put mass on do a big 180 degrees turnaround?

PPP
03-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Slim, thanks for the advice. I've been working out for several years. I've always bulked clean but I've never really cut.

I would like to cut down to the single digits for the summer just to see what I look like. After summer I would like to do a really careful bulk, the kind where you don't add on too much fat. My plan on doing that is to

Concentrate on increasing the weight lifted, not the amount of calories consumed
Increase calories by 250 each week
stay at certain calorie intakes, 3,500 or 3,750, for a longer period of time, and not just magically going to 4,500 (I think this may be too high of a number for me)

But anyways back to my original plan. I am at 3,750 right now.

I am not using Nitor or HIIT right now because I think it would be pointless with the amount of calories I am taking in, I'm saving that for the last part of my plan.

You mentioned I might need to cut for a longer time frame that I originally planned for, that's ok with me.

Questions:

Once I hit 3,000 calories what do you suggest I do?
What is the lowest # of calories I should be eating?

Notorious
03-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Slim, thanks for the advice. I've been working out for several years. I've always bulked clean but I've never really cut.

I would like to cut down to the single digits for the summer just to see what I look like. After summer I would like to do a really careful bulk, the kind where you don't add on too much fat. My plan on doing that is to

Concentrate on increasing the weight lifted, not the amount of calories consumed
Increase calories by 250 each week
stay at certain calorie intakes, 3,500 or 3,750, for a longer period of time, and not just magically going to 4,500 (I think this may be too high of a number for me)

But anyways back to my original plan. I am at 3,750 right now.

I am not using Nitor or HIIT right now because I think it would be pointless with the amount of calories I am taking in, I'm saving that for the last part of my plan.

You mentioned I might need to cut for a longer time frame that I originally planned for, that's ok with me.

Questions:

Once I hit 3,000 calories what do you suggest I do?
What is the lowest # of calories I should be eating?

Track your weight loss every week. When you start to lose about a lb per week, I would stop decreasing calories (although you will probably lose more than that at first from water weight). If you still want to decrease cals after that, I would drop by something like 50 a week.