PDA

View Full Version : Is it more effective to drink protein shake BEFORE or AFTER workout???

OcSurfDude
03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
im currently using muscle milk. anyone know if this is effective?

is it more beneficial to drink before or after a workout?

Tikiman
03-10-2008, 02:22 PM
If you're only going to drink it either before or after, after is generally the better time to do so. At least what I've heard, and noticed from experience. Although, it helps to have some energy in your system before you lift. Shouldn't go in hungry.

HighSchoolGuy
03-10-2008, 02:23 PM
they say since whey digests quickly(~30mins?), to take it directly after a workout. But I really, really doubt it'll make any difference.

Bupp
03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Get your big rocks in place before you start worrying about the small stuff.

BPM Osgood
03-10-2008, 03:19 PM
The Best time to Have it would be right after you workout. Before you workout eat oatmeal or something Slow burning to give you energy through out your workout!

BPM Osgood
03-10-2008, 03:20 PM

All that Small stuff adds up Bro!

OcSurfDude
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM

my "big rocks" ?
im already pretty fit i just want to start supplementing.

WORLD
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
10 mins Before, During and After.
Mix a whey with maltodextrine or dextrose.

If you're not sure what the maltodextrine or dextrose is, search it.

And he's right, your big rocks. The more important things; the foundation to your training, like your calories, your program etc.

dougyp
03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Get your big rocks in place before you start worrying about the small stuff. I'm not even gonna pretend I know what you mean by that statement.

Your body is always gonna need the protein if you're lifting consistently, however, carbs are more important before your workout than anything else. Do yourself a favor, stop worrying about it. Have a shake before AND after. There, problem solved. Or, you could simply eat real food as well (look up the definition of supplementing).

BTW, check out the link in my signature. That article pretty much covers it.

azma
03-13-2008, 04:15 AM
carbs are more important before your workout than anything else.

This is true, but keep in mind that carbs after a workout spike insulin levels, kick-starting anabolism in the process. Of course, if you had complex carbs before working out, you don't really have to worry about this, because they're still being metabolized when you're done working out. Waxy maize for the win!