PDA

View Full Version : Check out my pic guess bf% I dont think im right.

bg_bigguy_bg
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
So according to my height to waist measurement to neck measurement im 31.80% BF..
AGE-21
Height-72in (6ft)
weight-279lbs
waist-44.5in
neck-16in
pic as follows:

Im not sure so what do you guys think.. let me know and feel free to be a lil harsh.. im workin on it.. thx..

youngguns
03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
i think its accurate. hit the weights hard man. keep a good diet, and you should see results fairly quickly. good luck!

Travis Bell
03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
consistent diet and cardio along with some great lifting and you'll be on the right track bud, keep at it and before long you'll have made great progress but yes the bf analysis is probably pretty close

ZenMonkey
03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
diet, heavy weights, cardio

combining all three will give you great results. good luck

patrick3217
03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
sorry for some reason my old log in logged in.. this is me.. and that is my pic lol.. but yeah thx to all of you for the good advice.. Been workin at at it.. just workin at gettin the diet in check..

Bupp
03-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I think the answer is your bodyfat is high. I wouldn't get caught up in percentages and numbers or anything right now. Just develop good habits and be consistent. If you miss a day on your workout or diet don't use it as an excuse to blow the whole thing just get back on track the next day.

patrick3217
03-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I think the answer is your bodyfat is high. I wouldn't get caught up in percentages and numbers or anything right now. Just develop good habits and be consistent. If you miss a day on your workout or diet don't use it as an excuse to blow the whole thing just get back on track the next day.

Yeah that is what Im workin on but I like to monitor it just so that I can see the progress on paper.. It helps me out that way. Been making progress, and I'll keep at it for sure. thank you for your input man.

HipX
03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree, tracking results totally gives me motivation.

As far as body fat percentage, who cares if it's wrong? As long as you measure the same way each time, it will be off by the same amount each time. You might not know your exact body fat, but you'll still see consistent progress.

blasphemy
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Im not sure so what do you guys think.. let me know and feel free to be a lil harsh.. im workin on it.. thx..

2 words

ban moobs

method115
03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
2 words

ban moobs

Seriously dude wtf that **** is uncalled for. Anyways man the only thing I can say is stay consistent. For me when I started out lifting I couldn't concentrate on seeing results because if I didn't see results that I liked I would quit. So when I started up again I made sure to concentrate on being consistent and not to worry about progress. I basically convinced myself that there was no possible way I would get big enough and that I'm lifting weights just for the fun of it. That helped me be a lot more consistent with me lifting and now I lift for results but after 4+ years of lifting it's become a part of my everyday life like brushing your teeth and driving a car.

QuadzillaRF
03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I go by the mirror and measuring tape. Just want to add, get a digital food scale if you are serious about dieting. Good luck, stay consistent, and keep us posted.

patrick3217
03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
For sure will keep you all posted. thx for all of the input. haha and yeah workin at gettin rid of the "ban moobs." thx. Feel free to watch the journal to know how it goes lol.

Bako Lifter
03-12-2008, 12:04 AM
2 words

ban moobs

Two words

Dick head

Bako Lifter
03-12-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm with all the stupids above me, keep track of your diet and lift consistently and you should make steady progress.

dxiw
03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Two words

Dick head

lol

Yea dude like others have said, keep with it. The key to doing well now is to make positive lifestyle changes (no alcohol, low-moderate carb diet, eliminating saturated fat) and making sure your hitting the gym regularly. And most importantly, its very easy to get depressed and think hope is gone when you cheat, but remember that one bad meal or bad day (no matter how "fat") you think its making you, in reality is nothing. It's 99.9% water retention difference. And stop worrying about numbers. They are irrelevant in this beginning stage. Just worry about getting down to 220-230 as quickly as possibly and as healthily as possible. The fastest way IMO would be to stop eating any non-fibrous carbs and lift low volume with some occassional cardio. Then every 5-7 days of this, eat normal level of carbs (so your metabolism doesn't slow down)..

yamirider
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
2 words

ban moobs

I too have 2 words for you: ASS HOLE.

Some people aren't gifted with wonderful genes, myself included.

Props to the OP for sacking up and changing his life.

method115
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
lol

Yea dude like others have said, keep with it. The key to doing well now is to make positive lifestyle changes (no alcohol, low-moderate carb diet, eliminating saturated fat) and making sure your hitting the gym regularly. And most importantly, its very easy to get depressed and think hope is gone when you cheat, but remember that one bad meal or bad day (no matter how "fat") you think its making you, in reality is nothing. It's 99.9% water retention difference. And stop worrying about numbers. They are irrelevant in this beginning stage. Just worry about getting down to 220-230 as quickly as possibly and as healthily as possible. The fastest way IMO would be to stop eating any non-fibrous carbs and lift low volume with some occassional cardio. Then every 5-7 days of this, eat normal level of carbs (so your metabolism doesn't slow down)..

Yea the card idea is a very very good way to lose weight. It is also very very hard to do for some people because of the amount of carbs most people are used to eating. If you really want to eat that way I suggest slowly bringing you carb intake down before fully cutting it out. Just make sure you carb cycle and not just cut carbs completely. Chris Mason posted a great book on the homepage that I read recently and it was very very helpful on dieting.

dxiw
03-12-2008, 05:51 PM
While I agree that carb cycling is the optimal way to go, at his level of bodyfat it doesn't really matter. The fastest way would be to just cut carbs entirely and maybe have a cheat day once every 10-14 days. The rationale behind this is that the first few days into ketosis will SUCK physically and psychologically, but once your body adjusts it is easy to maintain. When you carb cycle you go in and out of ketosis which makes it harder to manage hunger. The only reason you cycle is to preserve muscle mass and avoid metabolic shutdown. However, if you are very fat, those are not as important as the primary task: burning fat. After 2-3 weeks in ketosis, your brain will adjust to working on ketones and you won't feel any discomfort. Just make sure that your workouts are very low volume. High volume workouts + ketosis is asking for trouble. The beauty of cutting carbs is you will feel like you are losing a lot of weight quickly which will motivate you and will look noticeably leaner from the fluid retention decrease. My plan for you would be a PSMF for 10-14 days, followed by several months of carb cycling. The PSMF will help you quickly dump 10-20 pounds and will get the ball rolling (as well as help you with motivation). When you get lean enough that you can start caring about muscle, then you can switch to something like UD2.0 or a maintenance style diet + cardio..

Bupp
03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
No need to get fancy.

Couple of tips:

- cut all liquid calories out of your diet. No pop, no juice, no milk.
- try writing down everything you eat for a few days. You may find that by writing everything down you end up eating less. If so keep writing down what you eat.
- prepare all of the next days food the day before. For me that meant setting aside some cans of meat and hardboiling 6 eggs. When my pile of cans ran out and my eggs were eaten I was done for the day.
- throw out any junk food that is in your house
- put motivating quotes on some of the doors in your house.

I like: "Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it." - Dalai Lama

Nosaj
03-12-2008, 06:12 PM
That helped me be a lot more consistent with me lifting and now I lift for results but after 4+ years of lifting it's become a part of my everyday life like brushing your teeth and driving a car.

You're going to need to step it up if you've been lifting for 4+ years already and you're still at 30%+ bf. Get serious, write down a set diet and prepare food a day in advance. At this point diet needs to be your 100% focus while you keep lifting to maintain some LBM once you start getting thinner. If you want it bad enough you should be able to be at your goal within a year. Good luck.

Invain
03-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Method's not the op Nosaj. He's 170 pounds, kinda doubt he's 30% bf.

method115
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Method's not the op Nosaj. He's 170 pounds, kinda doubt he's 30% bf.

Yea I think he got confused.

patrick3217
03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Thx for all of the input and yeah i have been working on getting the diet under control.. you can take a look at my journal and see where i started at over 40% so i have made some progress I just need to keep going..

dynamo
03-13-2008, 03:45 AM
i was in your shoes 8 years ago. I learned to love cardio. For myself, when my bf% was high I sucked it up and realized I needed a calorie deficit and the easiest was to get one was to run for 30min to an hour a day then as I became more accustomed to the cardio routine appetite diminished, and I focused on healthier foods for the sake of not passing out and wanting to feel full, so seriously suggest you set a weekly cardio goal and work up to it. I ended up losing over 50 lbs in 9 months. Wouldnt have happened on weights alone. I think the key term in all these posts is to work your way to a healthier lifestyle and it seems like you're dedicated to just that, but don't forget it ain't easy and you will fall off the band wagon a few times but just keep looking at the goal, screw looking at the obstacles. If you keep your eye on the prize you'll just walk over the **** in your way. And yeah bf% seems in the ball park, good job on losing 10% btw.

so_calmaxwell
03-13-2008, 07:04 AM
I would say that your body fat is high. I would say definitly 30% at least. There have been plenty of people who have are and have been in your same shoes. There is also plenty of sucess stories out there. My recomendation is this. Don't expect results overnight. Keep determined. You need to incorperate a lower callorie diet and increase exercise. I would honestlly make it a 3-4 year realistic expectation. Don't do a crash diet. Do something steady.

Develope a plan---- and stick with it religouslly.
Don't go weight yourself everyday but instead once every 2 weeks or even once a month if you can.

The battle for you is going to be momentum. You will start slow and things will become easier and easier the further you come along.

Goodluck and don't be discuraged by any negative comments.