PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Glute Ham Raise?

mickyjune26
03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Where could I buy a Glute Ham Raise? How do I compare on GHR to another?

I'm by Dallas, TX - if that matters.

RickTheDestroyer
03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I got mine from New York Barbell. It works, but it wobbles a little.
It has held up pretty well- weekly/twice-weekly use by three 200-260 pound guys (plus plates/KBs for added fun) for a little over a year with no noticeable wear.
If money wasn't a concern I'd have gotten one from EliteFTS.

Dan152
03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
i got mine from title boxing.com they call it a hyper etension bench. its a good bench only like 60 bucks

Detard
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd go with EliteFTS if you want high quality equipment.

Keith
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I made mine. Do you have a power rack?

Travis Bell
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
www.westside-barbell.com

really solid one elitefts.com is a good one too

Ben Moore
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
i got mine from title boxing.com they call it a hyper etension bench. its a good bench only like 60 bucks

Not the same thing, but that is a great buy.

Sensei
03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I got mine from New York Barbell. It works, but it wobbles a little.
It has held up pretty well- weekly/twice-weekly use by three 200-260 pound guys (plus plates/KBs for added fun) for a little over a year with no noticeable wear.
If money wasn't a concern I'd have gotten one from EliteFTS.I agree 100%.

I bought the NYBB GHR because I needed it for hamstring rehab and didn't want to pay a grand for the tool I needed. Is it as good as what you'd get from elitefts.com? Of course not. Did it do the job for me? Yes.

If you have the money and want to invest in a quality piece of equipment that will last the rest of your career, then get the elitefts model.

mickyjune26
03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I made mine. Do you have a power rack?

yes we do. It's a standard commercial gym, but with a heavy duty power rack and a reg smaller power rack.

www.westside-barbell.com

really solid one elitefts.com is a good one too

Man, I like those, but $1,000+? Whew! The owner could possible pay for one that was $400. Anything above that is a really hard sell. I could see myself putting in $400 and a friend putting in $200....anything above that would be tough.

...but I really WANT IT!! lol

Used elitefts / westside GHRs?

Keith
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
yes we do. It's a standard commercial gym, but with a heavy duty power rack and a reg smaller power rack.

Nevermind then. I assumed you trained at home and had a power rack yourself.

Dan152
03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Not the same thing, but that is a great buy.

really wats the difference? u can do do Glute ham raises on it

chris mason
03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
www.westside-barbell.com

Louie and Doris are great people and sell wonderful equipment.

HP666
03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
www.westside-barbell.com

Louie and Doris are great people and sell wonderful equipment.

BIG ditto on that.

elitepler
03-11-2008, 08:02 PM
here ya go, great stuff, one of the best benches on the market for the money, the GHR is down the page right qabove the leg press and there in TX.

http://005673a.netsolhost.com/2006_Catalog/CATALOG_2006.htm

Ben Moore
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
really wats the difference? u can do do Glute ham raises on it
This is what i assume you were talking about?
http://store.titleboxing.com/hyper-extension-bench.html

Below is what I am talking about. A true glute/ham raise activates the calves, hams and glutes to execute the movement. Your machine can do a similiar movement depending on how long your legs are, but it is closer to a manual hamstring curl that really leaves out the calves or glutes to the same degree.

Travis Bell
03-11-2008, 10:14 PM
the picture of the one Ben posted is a very good GHR.

The ones that don't have the plate really make it difficult to activate your calves and glutes like Ben said and also creates a degree of inconsistency with where you place your legs

mickyjune26
03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Talked to the owner of the gym the other day and he said he'd consider paying for it if it's around $400, including shipping. Of course, they are more than that, so we may just have to pay for anything above that.

I've attached a pic of the GHR that elitepr recommended in the link a few posts above.

why would I pay $1000+ when this one is a little over $400?

mickyjune26
03-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I found an article Dave Tate wrote. Here is an excerpt on how to review a glute ham raise...

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4100&tid=105

Glute Ham Raises with a real GHR bench! The reason I say "real bench" is that I'm in the equipment business, so I see the junk that's out there and it frustrates the hell out of me. First off, a so-called "natural" glute ham raise (where you kneel on the floor and someone holds your heals as you fall forward) is not a glute ham raise; it's a manual hamstring curl.

Second, to the beginner, a GHR should be hard to do. If you get on a bench and can knock out 10 to 15 reps the first time you do it, then the machine isn't built correctly. The toe plate should be long enough to push your toes into it. The pad should have an angle on it to keep your body in the correct position so you don't fall off at the top. I can go on and on with this, but the fact is that too many companies build equipment designed by people who've never lifted a real weight in their lives!

I found another one around $400. How do I review these cheaper ones to see if they'll do what Dave requires of them? :)
http://www.midwestbarbell.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

mickyjune26
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM
okay, now this one isn't even called a GHR, but it's 219 and looks like one.

Sorry all, but I'm really trying to learn which ones are worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Plus-Hyperextension-Bench-Back/dp/B000JVVPWM/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_ttl

txmike1
03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Looks like if you got that you'd need to fashion a longer foot plate (if you know a welder that shouldn't be hard). Other than that, looks like it might work.....

If I had unlimited funds I'd go with elitefts (I've bought from them on other things and they are TOP NOTCH!), but for now I gotta make do with what I can

bigmoney
03-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Like Mike was saying, the foot plate needs to be adjusted/longer. I've used a few off brand GHR's and the only real problem with them are the shape of the pads and the size of the foot plate.

One of the best non-EFS GHR's I have used is Pro Maxima brand. Check them out, they are pretty cheap from what I remember.