PDA

View Full Version : Rookie's Thread - Adventures of a Trainer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

rookiebldr
03-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Ok, so I got my first year of training in, I'm still a rookie at this and need to continue to experiment and find out what will and won't work for me. I'm hoping this journal will help me figure that out. If anyone peeks and wants to offer helpful opinions :help:, advice or just comments, please do. :cool:

Goals:

I'm training for muscle size and lower BF. I'll train for strength just to help out the first goal but I'm not specifically trying to do any powerlifting. I've just finished a mild(?) bulking session and have added cardio to start my cutting session.

Training:

Ive tried a number of splits, 3 day and 4 day in the past and I'm finding that 3 days works best for my schedule at the moment. Ive never done a split like the WBB routines, so since Im posting a journal here at WBB, I figure that I might as well give them a try. So Ill start with workout one for 8 to 12 weeks. I generally give my routines 2 to 3 months to see if something works or not. I will however, sub in various exercises as the weeks progress sometimes just try something new.

So my current routine will look like this:

Sat - AM: Chest & Back
Mon - PM: Legs
Wed - PM: Arms & Shoulders

My lifts are pretty sad :cry: however, they have progressed over time and I'll be looking forward to some added improvements with this new routine.

rookiebldr
03-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Cardio:

None

Training. Chest / Back / Traps 1hr 10mins

I forgot to get the WBB routine prior to Friday night and for some reason I was getting an error message back from the site. So, I guessed the routine based on what I remembered. I always do a little cardio when I first get in to up the heart rate and warm up the muscles, then my first exercise of the body part I will do 2 warmup sets which I have not listed.

LDBP: 55*10, 65*6,5,6
IDBP: 50*4,8,6
DIPS: BW-70*10, -50*9, -30*5

I generally don't do BBP since my shoulder bugs me and I find DBP easier on my shoulder. This is the first time doing dips. Again, usually my shoulder doesn't last however, I may have nursed it enough.

Pullups: BW-50*10,7
Pulldwns: 120*7,6
DBRows: 70*8,75*6,8

I didn't like this back section and will modify the exercises next session.

BBShrugs: 135*15, 225*8,9, 245*8
DBShrugs: 45*31,20

Decided to add in the DB's at the last moment to get a burn in the traps.

Overall Comments

I liked doing chest and back together. My chest was sore today, probably from the dips and I could also feel that I worked my traps well.

rookiebldr
03-19-2002, 12:30 AM
March 18, 2002

Cardio: 45mins

Decided to do a fair bit of cardio today - mid afternoon. Normally I do my cardio in the morning, however, we were having a mini-triathalong at the fitness centre at work. It amounts to 15 min cycling (set resistance), 15 mins rowing and 15 min running. Your allowed a 3 min rest between exercises. The rowing and running you can set your own pace and the total distance travelled wins. Anyway, I was quite beat after this, however I did manage to complete it. I won't know until next Monday how I faired compared to others. I'm hoping to set this as a gauge for each year just to see how my cardio is doing overall.

Training. Legs 55mins

I was hoping that I didn't over do it too much on the earlier cardio and that I recovered sufficiently. I felt a stiffness in my legs as I warmed them up on the ellipical machine but I pushed forward. (below shows work sets only)

Squats: 175x6, 6
Hack Squats: 90x6, 10, 110x6
Seated Leg Curls: 125x6, 6
Stiff-leg Dead Lifts: 185x6, 6
Standing Calf Raises: 200x14, 14, 220x12, 12

I normally do smith squats, however, today it was busy so I resorted to doing the free standing squats. I was surprised that I had more control over the squats (ATF - or as close as my a*s will go) then I did 3 months ago.

This was the first time doing Hack Squats (generally went with leg presses after squats) and I found it a lot more difficult getting the correct motion going. I fumbled with the 90lbs on the first 4 reps and then did 6. After doing an additional 10, I decided that that wasn't enough and increased the weight.

I had just started doing SLDL's on back day about a month ago an never really felt the exercise in my hams. I focused today more on how I think this was supposed to be and thus I really did feel an extra something there. We'll see if my back feels it tomorrow or not.

Overall Comments

Good work out, less sets then i usually do and so I was out in under an hour. My legs definitely feel like they have had workout today. I'm expecting some soreness tomorrow.

I off to the home of the brave and land of the free tomorrow. I hoping that the hotel that I staying at has some sort of gym so I can do arm and shoulder work on Wed. Maybe while I down south of here, I can see what supps are available that we can't get here in Canada.

rookiebldr
03-20-2002, 09:55 PM
March 19, 2002

Cardio

None

Training

None

Sleep

5 hours

Overall Comments

I felt great after yesterday's workout. Quads felt some what sore by mid afternoon. My butt was very very sore this evening - DOMS big time.

Weight = 173 (unofficial)

rookiebldr
03-20-2002, 10:07 PM
March 20th, 2002

Cardio

None

Training

None :mad:

Sleep

2 hours :mad:

Overall Comments

I ended staying up all night trying to finish off some work for today. This is not going to help me recover or grow. Good thing I slept a little bit yesterday travelling. Unfortunately, this was suppose to be my Shoulder and Arm day. I was out late again and I will need move that to tomorrow instead. :cry: :cry: I've checked out the hotel's facilities, not great - no free weights, but I think I can do some exercises. If I get time I might check out a local gym instead.

MonStar1023
03-20-2002, 10:25 PM
rookiebldr-
Good luck man trying to keep up with your training/diet while away from home. Sh*t can get really tough at times looking for a gym and food and everything like that.

:thumbup::thumbup:

rookiebldr
03-21-2002, 09:51 PM
MonStar-
Thanks for inaugrating my journal with your post. Yes your right it can be tough but I must, must persevere. Actually, I did find a gym, however, I was just too tied after dinner to bother exercising anywhere else other than at the hotel.

Food is another thing, protein bars work wonders for snacks during meetings and all I need is a shaker cup and a bag of protein for morning and evening fixes. It would be tough with the NHE diet that you were on, most places want to fill you up with lots of carbs.

rookiebldr
03-21-2002, 10:16 PM
March 21st, 2002

Cardio

None

Training - 45 mins

Ended up using the equipment at the hotel (note to self, need to stay at better hotels) It was an old Universal station - at least they had more than just cardio stuff.

Since some of the weights and pulleys need some oil and adjustments, I don't think that numbers were particularly accurate. In addition, these universal have something called variable resistance - i.e. they start at a resistance and then increase as you do the movement. On the variable resistance machine I have coded it as "start resistance - ending resistance".

Military Press: 89-120 x 7, 6, 6
Laterial Raises: 10 x 10, 20 x 10, 10
Upright Rows: 50 x 10, 70 x 6

Narrow Grip Bench Press: 77-104 x 10, 95-128 x 10
Tricep Pushdowns: 50 x 7, 10

Cable Curls: 40 x 10, 10, 50 x 10
Rev Cable Curls: 30 x 10

Sleep

5 hours

Overall Comments

I'll get a better idea of this routine next week when I get into my regular gym and I'm better rested. This seem too short today. Anyway, time for sleep.

MonStar1023
03-21-2002, 11:09 PM
rookiebldr-
Man you should seriously try to increase your amount of sleep. I know that youre on vacation/business but sleep is really important. My sleep is a f*cking joke lately too, so its all good. Hey man some workout is a lot better than no workout at all. I gotta hand it to you bro, if I was on vacation I would be off my diet and training..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

rookiebldr
03-23-2002, 08:39 AM
Monstar-
I'm actually on business and I needed to do put some presentations together. I try not to let business stop my workouts, however, sometimes I does. The diet is not perfect when away since most lunches are sandwiches and usually don't have a enough protein them however, I try and maintain with protein powders and bars.:) :)

rookiebldr
03-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Friday, March 22nd, 2002

Cardio

None - needed the sleep to much to get up early and do any cardio today.

Training

Rest day

Sleep

6 hours

Overall Comments

Busy day overall. As MonStar has pointed out, I need to get more sleep, finally home and will be able to sleep in. I've skipped the cardio too much this week. Next week has got to different, I knew this was going to be a bad week and was planning to take it as a complete rest week. That end-up occuring one week earlier so I decided to start this routine early. Oh well, the new week starts on Saturday.

rookiebldr
03-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Saturday, March 23, 2002

Cardio

None

Training - 50 mins

Chest and Back day

Since I usually exercise early on Sunday or Saturday, I can usually use any piece of equipment that I want. Today I decided to go around 9:00pm and low and behold every bench was full. Since I knew I would be short on time, I switched flat dumbbell presses for HS iso flat presses since that station was free.

HS Iso Flat Press: 70 x 10, 80 x 6, 4, 5
Incline Dumbbell Presses: 50 x 8, 7
DIPS: BW - 30 x 7, BW - 20 x 6

It has been awhile since I had done the ISO presses and I knew that I could do heavier weights. Taking the stabilzer muscles out of action with this press, allowed me to increase by 15lbs per side. Still need to get the hang of the dips, goal will be to get to body weight for 6-8 reps.

Pulldowns: 130 x 8, 7
Deadlifts: 135 x 9, 185 x 6, 6
T-bar Rows: 80 x 7, 7

I was really rushed for time on my back and did not feel good about it at all. Switched to T-bars just because it was right next to the deadlift station and I could set up between deadlift sets. I didn't rest between sets nearly long enough and I think I just getting out of breath between sets. No more late Saturday nights. On the up side, this was the first time doing deadlifts. I've done SLDL before(4 or 5 times), but I'll need to get the ROM going on the deadlifts to see how they are going to progress.

Barbell Shrugs: 180 x 10, 250 x 10, 180 x 15

I was out time to do anymore.

Sleep

9 hours - Yippee :cool:

Overall Comments

I normally get up early for my workout on Saturday, however I really needed the sleep. I think the deadlifts will really help, I was definitely out of breath doing them. I hope they are not occuring too close to doing the stiff legged deadlifts on Monday.

Weight = 172 (unofficial) Goal = 155-160

rookiebldr
03-24-2002, 09:26 PM
Sunday, March 24, 2002

Cardio

None

Training

Rest day

Sleep

9 hours

Overall Comments

Back and traps were a little sore today. I was somewhat surprised since I didn't think that I had done that much yesterday. Chest unfortunately was not sore. I definitely need to put more into it next week.

rookiebldr
03-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Monday, March 25, 2002

Sleep

6 hours

Cardio:

None - Had to get up early this morning for a meeting so I just managed to get my leg day in.

Training. Legs 45mins

I decided to train this afternoon instead of this evening - had a prior committment so once again I was rushed to get everything done. I managed to complete in 45 mins. I think this is way too rushed but we will see. I'm usually the guy still in the gym while other come and go. Instead, today I was in and out while others were still there - seems odd some how.

I saw someone else identify their personal best using an (!) behind their sets so I thought I would add it here.

Squats: 155 x 7, 6 :(

The squats s*cked big time. My knees were wobbly and over over the place and I didn't fee that I could lift straight up. I don't know what happened, maybe I was just wimping out. I was warming up with lighter weights and just didn't feel comfortable upping the weight.

Hack Squats: 110 x 8, 130 x 7(!)

I still couldn't get comfortable with the hack squats and tried a number of foot positions to see if that made difference. I still don't think I have a full ROM for these.

Seated Leg Curls: 120 x 8, 130 x 6(!)

Miscalculated on the first set and thus was determined to up the weight by 5 over PB for the second.

Stiff-leg Dead Lifts: 185 x 6, 6

This was tough. I felt this in my back as well as my hams. I know my back is going to be sore from doing DL on Sat and SLDL on Mon but we will give it a couple more weeks.

Standing Calf Raises: 200 x 19, 240 x 10, 10, 10(!)

Tried to concentrate on the full extension of the calf muscle on this and not just pushing the weight. One calf seems more sore than the other. I may need to switch to single calf raises to ensure that each gets a direct workout.

Overall Comments

Quick workout, felt rushed again and out of breath. I settled down later in the workout and focused more on the muscle being worked. I should have added an extra 10lbs to the SLDL, I'm sure that I could got 6 reps out of that increase. Needed to take the ECA earlier, I think it kicked in while doing the leg curls.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to drink my post workout drink, had to settle with a protein bar instead. Nutritionally today was bad - wine tasting or actually a Port tasting :) and dinner with the guys. Tomorrow is another day.

Accipiter
03-26-2002, 12:03 AM
hey, read my article on the front of WBB if you ain't already, I think it could help. And are you eating enough? that coudl be holding you back.

rookiebldr
03-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Acc-
I hope that wasn't just a shameless plug to have your article re-read. LOL :D:D

Actually, I did just now, re-read your article. I have made simular mistakes, which is exactly why I am following the WBB routines and trying to keep the volume low. I need to experiment with the intensity :redface: since I suspect that I haven't quite got it yet. I use to find that with more sets I had more opportunity to get the correct the intensity correct. Or not?

As far as diet, I keeping around 2500 calories, ~250 protein. This last week or so wasn't watched as carefully since I've done a bit more drinking than I should have. I'll post a typical nutritional day a little later.

Thanks for reading and the pointer.

Accipiter
03-26-2002, 11:44 AM
hmmmm, maybe up the calories by a couple hundred, that is rather low for someone who works out. 2500 is about average for someone who's sedentary.

ericg
03-26-2002, 12:04 PM
i eat about 2500 calories (actually less)......i have been losing fat at 1lb/wk for about 70 days now. course my goal it to cut some fat.

rookiebldr
03-26-2002, 08:30 PM
At the moment, I'm trying to walk a fine line between cutting and maintain my hard earned muscle. :rolleyes: At about 3000 I gain, 2000 I can lose, however, I hoping by adding in some cardio (I hate cardio :cry: ) I'll be able to slowly lose just the fat. We'll see in a couple weeks when I get fat tested and measured again.

rookiebldr
03-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Cardio

20 mins stationary bike.

Training

Rest day

Sleep

6 hours

Overall Comments

Well, I was sore from yesterday's leg workout. This is a good thing. I know I'm working some areas that had been lagging.

rookiebldr
03-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Accipiter-
I re-looked at my log the last time dieted, and your probably right. I was still losing at 2200, however I had really upped my cardio in addition to working out about 4 days a week at 1.5 hours a sessions. I definitely need to go on another bulking program but I want to drop some BF to give myself some room to go back up. I plan on putting a bit more rigure in calculating my calories. I know typically what it works out to, however, I am probably cheating myself more days than I should be either up or down.

rookiebldr
03-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Sleep

6 hours

Soreness

Quads and butt is still sore. :)

Cardio:

20 mins on Stationary Bike - 6:30am I'm planning on working this up to 30 mins. I also did my 4 sets of abs crunches after the cardio.

Training. Shoulders, Triceps & Biceps 60mins

Ah, back to my regular schedule. Was finally able to fit in the routine closer to the WBB #1. I substituted ISO HS presses for military presses in a rack - basically I didn't want to play with a new exercise tonight so I did one I was familar with.

HS ISO Shoulder Press: 55 x 11, 70 x 6 (!)

Ok, clearly order has a lot to do with the amount that I can lift. Trying to take some of the direction from this forum, I warmed up the shoulders with some light weight not to failure (this is a departure from the way I used to lift). Also, I've been training shoulders after chest so tonight shoulders are first up and 55 per side was too light, so I jumped to 70. I go for more next week to make sure that I hit my heavest first.

Seated Dumbbell Press: 40 x 6, 6

I haven't done these in a while. I could tell that with out the leverage and having to use more stablizer muscles that these were going to be tough. I started out with 50's and tries one press. Couldn't get proper form. So I dropped to 40's and did a slow rise and return.

Laterial Raises: 20 x 9 D 15 x 4, 20 x 7 D 15 x 6

I couldn't quite get 10 reps out and I was concerned that on the last 1 or 2 reps that I wasn't getting the best contraction on the shoulder so I immediately dropped the weight to 15's and rep'd out a few more. My shoulders felt pumped now. On to Tris.

Close Grip Bench Presses: 90 x 7, 8

Time to use the regular BB bench instead of the preset weights.

French Press: 60 x 7, 6

Lack luster I know, however, I don't feel somehow right doing this exercise - never had. It's simular to kick backs, I can't seem to get the motion correct to really knock the sh*t out the triceps. These were slow and in control.

Barbell Curls: 70 x 7N, 7N

Nearing the end of the routine so I did the last rep as a neg. Really felt good. I've been practicing to make sure that there is no back involved in the curl, upper arms are parellel to the body the whole time and only bend at the elbows. Form was great.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10

:rolleyes: Enough said.

Reverse Curls: 50 x 8, 8

I like these, they hit the forearms and really pumps the arm. Oh well, I'm done.

Overall Comments

Great workout, didn't feel rushed. I really like doing shoulders and arms together.

rookiebldr
03-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Thursday, March 28, 2002

Sleep

4 hours

Cardio

none

Training

Rest day

Overall Comments

I'm beat, I should be in bed getting some sleep. At least tomorrow, I get to sleep in.

rookiebldr
03-30-2002, 05:03 AM
Friday, March 29, 2002

Cardio

None.

Training

Rest day

Sleep

9 hours - finally some sleep, good thing that there are days off.

Overall Comments

None

rookiebldr
03-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Saturday, March 30, 2002

Starting week 3 of the new routine.

Sleep
5.5 hours
Soreness
Absolutely nothing.
Cardio:
none - I hate cardio!!!
Training: Chest and Back 70 mins

Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 4, 70 x 5 D 60 x 2 (!)

I love it, I finally hit 70lbs and although I could only get 4 reps first time, 5 the second it was still great. I felt steady all the way up and down - really squeezed the chest at the top.

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 55 x 6, 6(!)

After upping my weight on the flat press, I decided to up it on the inclines as well. No problem. I need to push myself more it seems to work.

DIPS: BW - 10 x 5, 6 (!)

Again I increased the weight - soon I'll be doing my body weight. I'm also a few pounds heavier this week.

Chins: BW - 30 x 5, 5

I'm still not impressed with this exercise but I'll stick it out for a few more weeks to get the hang of it. Hopefully I'll soon be a body weight on this one as well. It might be easier if I just lose some weight.

Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 195 x 6, 7 (!)

I think I'm getting the hang of this exercise. I'm going to have to find someone at my gym that actually does this exercise and have them check my form. It's not going to be easy since no one seems to ever use the deadlift platform. :cool: :cool:

T-Bar Rows: 90 x 8, 8 (!)

I really have no idea how much weight I'm actually lifting. I could be 135?. I put two plates on, however, there is a certain amount of weight in the bar that I'm lifting as well as the plates. I looked all over the machine to see what the starting resistance was but found nothing and their web site does not list the amount of weight on the machine. Here is an image if anyone is interested.

Cybex Plate Loaded T-bar (http://www.cybexintl.com/products/strength/plate_loaded/plate_loaded_upper_body.html)

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 245 x 8, 255 x 8(!)

Again I increased my weights on this exercise as well. the 225 for 10 was really just a warm up and not to failure. I really felt good after the 245 for 8 and knew that I could add a couple of nickels to squeeze out more. I was surprised that I could hit 8 reps.

Overall Comments

Will finish entering this later, I gotta go... I'm back now. This was a great workout today. I felt stronger and definitely pushed myself more. I can hardly wait until next week.

rookiebldr
03-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Decided to take Accipiter's and Ericg's advise and up my calories. I suspect that they weren't talking about using bottles of wine and cheese sauces on the pasta. It's the weekend and I'll do better next week. I'll just need to up the cardio a bit more.

On other note, I not sure what I did to my back this morning, I noticed it on the chins. I must of wrenched it some how. There seems to a bit of pain coming from my mid level right back. I notice it especially with I look over my left shoulder while driving. Hopefully it will be ok in the morning. On a better note, my chest is now starting to get sore - I love DOMS.

Orange357
03-30-2002, 07:28 PM
cool. keep up the good work!!

rookiebldr
03-30-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks Orange and welcome to my journal.

MonStar1023
03-30-2002, 11:31 PM
rookiebldr-
Awesome looking journal man, really really looks good. Really seems a lot like I am reading my own journal. Haha. Keep it up dude, Happy Easter.

:cool::cool:

rookiebldr
03-30-2002, 11:37 PM
Thanks Mon, watch out, first the journal, next weights :D :D

MonStar1023
03-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Haha aight man just keep it up thats your challenge. Most guys who are newbies/rookies especially give up WAY too soon. Keeping a detailed journal can be tough at times cant it? I always try and keep mine 100% detailed.

:D:D

rookiebldr
03-31-2002, 12:00 AM
I've been keeping a journal for most of the year - just not online. It certainly helps. If I could only keep my goals strait and consistent then my progress would be better. That's why I started the online one and I can always use the help. As a rookie, I need to keep learning.

I gotta get some sleep.

MonStar1023
03-31-2002, 08:36 AM
Yeah man a journal definitely helps. Its crazy how many people (probably 95% at any gym Ive been to) dont track anything at all! I mean they just workout and dont really know if theyre getting stronger etc.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

rookiebldr
03-31-2002, 09:02 PM
Sunday, March 31, 2002

Sleep
6 hours - It was time to wake up and look for Easter eggs.
Soreness
A little in the outer pecs, likely from the dips. I still notice a spot in the back but not as bad as yesterday. I will be doing SDLD's tomorrow, so I hope this won't be a problem.
Cardio:
none - I hate cardio!!!, should have done some but oh well.
Training:

Rest Day

Overall Comments

It was a good day to do nothing. Finally some nice weather, 12 degrees (Celesius) and sunny. Ah, finally spring. With all the chocolate around, I couldn't help but binge.

Ferreo Rocher Chocolates are great and they I noticed that they contain Whey Proteins and nuts. Just what I needed, some extra proteins. Back to eating cleaner tomorrow.

MonStar1023
03-31-2002, 09:04 PM
Haha damn our journals are looking more and more similar! Everything is looking good though man. Good luck training tomorrow. I hate cardio too but ya gotta do what ya gotta do if you ask me.

... You also might consider a tad more sleep if you can.

rookiebldr
03-31-2002, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the support, MonStar. I'll work on the journal a bit more over time and make it more unique - truly mine. I just happened to like the way yours and some of the others indented your journals - makes it a lot easier to read.

Your right about the sleep. Someday I will. See it's already after 12:00 and I'm not in bed yet. Eventually, everything will come together. I have to admit I felt great today, fat around the middle yes, but bigger elsewhere as well. I'm up on my weight this week, but I don't care - I just felt bigger. oops, I was suppose to be cutting. I noticed you binged as well, but I find that allows me to eat cleaner for awhile and still remain sane.

I also think it's time to find an avatar. Maybe tomorrow.

rookiebldr
04-01-2002, 04:37 PM
I just screwed up this entry by overtyping it with Tuesday's notes.

So much for my journal... Here is a revised entry since I doubt that I'll remember everything I put in last night. Good thing for my hardcopy journal.

Monday, April 1, 2002

Sleep: 6 hours.
Soreness: none
Cardio: 20 mins - Stationary bike pre-breakfast.

Training: Leg Day - 55 mins.

Squats: 185 x 5, 4 D 135 x 4 (!)

I was determined to get back up to my earlier weight. I forgot that it was 175 for 6 and put 185 on the rack. Oh well, not quite 6, second set I died after 4 so I dropped the quarters and did 4 more.

Hack Squats: 140 x7, 150 x 8 (!)

I'm working my way up with this exercise. I'm not comfortable at all that I'm getting the correct ROM. Still difficult at the mid point of the exercise pushing back up on the shoulder and back pads.

Leg Curls: 130 x 6, 4 D 110 x 2

Must have been losing steam on the these since the second set was wimpy and even after dropping the weight, I still could only pump two more reps out.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 205 x 5, 6 (!)

Yeh, I finally made it over 200. :) I was determined to up the weight on this one as well. They've fixed the dead lift platform so I can put the side rails back on.

Calf Raises: 220 x 18, 260 x 10, 10, 10 (!)

These were tough. Really slow and needed to concentrate on the contaction.

Overall Comments

Can't really remember what I said, oh well, not important.

rookiebldr
04-01-2002, 11:15 PM
Looks like I'm a "Senior Member" now. I'm feeling old now.

rookiebldr
04-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Tuesday, April 2, 2002

Soreness: Glutes, quads
Cardio: None
Diet: 2505 cals (226g protein, 60g fat, 204g carbs)
Weight: 173

Training: Rest Day

Overall Comments

Absolutely nothing. Feeling fat today, so it's time to count calories.

rookiebldr
04-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Wednesday, April 3, 2002

Sleep: 5 hours, I've got to get more sleep.
Soreness: Very little on the legs and butt, need to work harder.
Cardio: none.
Diet: 2317 (280 protein, 33 fat, 217 carbs)
Weight: ~172

Training: Shoulder, Triceps and Biceps - 55 mins.

Decide that since the ISO HS Shoulder press was busy and the racks were not, that I might as well experiment with the Military press.

Military Press: warm-ups, 90 x 5

This was joke. I didn't know what I was doing, it felt very uncomfortable, my back was in the wrong position to support the weight. Since I didn't go to failure on the 90, I thought I would try the 110. Couldn't even figure out how to get enough leverage to move it off the pins. Stopped at that exercise - will look up correct form before attempting again.

Cybex Seated overhead Press: 140 x 0; 130 x 2; 110 x 4; 110 x 4 D 90 x 4 D 70 x 4, D 50 x 4

With the amount of leverage that I could push on the HS ISO press last week (70lbs per side = 140) I thought for sure that I could press 140 on this machine. Something is wrong with my logic, the lift is different on this machine or I really screwed up last week. Anyway I decided to use drop sets after I had problems lifting 110. Next week, I'll go back to HS ISO presses.

Seated Dumbell Press: 40 x 7, 5

I must have be getting tried by now since the second set was poor.

Side Laterals Raises: 20 x 9, 9

Same as last week.

Barbell Pull-ups: 70 x 10, 10

I just really like these for my front delts which has been a weak spot.

Close Grip Bench Press: 90 x 10, 110 x 5.5, 5.5

I guess I should have added nickels instead of dimes to the ends since I could get to 6 reps with these and without a spotter, I had to stand up with the bar to re-seat it on the pins. :rolleyes:

Skulls - Lying Tricep Extensions with Barbell: 60 x 8.5, 70 x 5

The 60's felt good, so it was time to up it to 70's on second set. Maybe not, since I couldn't get 6 reps out.

Barbell Curls: 70 x 7, 7

Same as last week.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10

Same as last week.

Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 50 x 6

I was done for and could not do anymore. Sad since I as able to do more last week.

Overall Comments

My calories were down for the day and I usually drink a protein drink 30 mins prior to working out, in addition to having a meal 3 hours ahead. Tonight, the meal was fine, maybe a little earlier but I didn't have the protein drink prior. I'm hoping that this was the cause of the poor performance - oh yea the sleeping habits are not helping out much either.

rookiebldr
04-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Thursday, April 4, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours.
Soreness: Shoulders
Diet: 2501 cals (233g protein, 61g fat, 244g carbs)

Overall Comments

Diet sucked today, got into the easter chocolate so the calorie count above maybe a bit low, I tried to include some chocolate. Anyway, the lack of sleep is catching up with me, tonight I sleep.

MonStar1023
04-04-2002, 10:07 PM
rookiebldr-
Journal looking good man, keep it up, looks like a mix between mine and Sebi's and everything like that. Nice delt and arm workout yesterday man. Keep it up. What does your split look like?

rookiebldr
04-05-2002, 05:00 PM
MonStar, thanks for the encouraging words. It's helpful coming from those who are more experienced and/or further along in their quest. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes, it looks like I have stolen some idea's from your journal as well as Sebi's maybe even others. :redface: That must come with the territory of having nice journals, people end up stealing some ideas. I also like Oranges' rants(TM), hotties(TM) etc. however, I am not yet prepared to pay Orange licence fees for the use of the trademarks. :D :D My earlier non-online journals would only show the exercises and weights I lifted, however, with this one I will be better able to compare my state of mind and body and make changes to improve.

My shoulders, traps and upper back really do seem to have improved in the last 2 months (improvements that only I am likely to notice). I attribute alot of it to help that I have received here on this board and to deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts and squats. Since I am really trying to reduce my body fat at the moment, so I can bulk up again, I'm guessing that some of my future increases may actually come from getting the exercises correct (CNS adaptation) and not LM gains. I'm hopeful that the cuts will start to show some of the hard earned muscle soon.

As far as my split, it's actually posted on my first entry, however, so that you don't need to go back 1 page and check, it is as follows:

Saturday Morning (early): Chest and Back
Monday Night (late): Legs
Wednesday Night (late): Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps

It's the WBB #1 routine. Abs I usually do on cardio days. I'm trying to do cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. I'm not too successful since I would rather sleep instead of getting up early. Might have something to do with going to bed so late.

I get fat tested :rolleyes: next week so I be able to judge how well this latest routine is going.

(TM) Trademark of Orange357, used without permission.

rookiebldr
04-05-2002, 08:41 PM
Friday, April 5, 2002

Sleep: 8 hours.
Soreness: None
Diet: 2198 cals (221g protein, 56g fat, 207g carbs)

Overall Comments

Diet was on, maybe a little low but all good foods. Finally got some sleep last night and looking forward to some tonight.

rookiebldr
04-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Saturday, April 6, 2002
Starting week 4 of the new routine.

Sleep 6 hours
Soreness None
Cardio: 7 mins warm-up
Diet 2643 (250g protein, 67g fat, 232g carbs)
Weight: ~171.5

Training: Chest and Back 80 mins

Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 6, 70 x 5 (!)

Increased the reps on this over last week. Will continue with 70's until I hit 8 and work on ROM.

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 55 x 7, 6(!)

Same weight as last week, increase rep by 1.

DIPS: BW - 10 x 7, 8 (!)

A few lbs lighter this week which may attribute to the slit gain in reps. I'll try BW next week with no assistance.

Chins: BW - 30 x 6, 6 (!)

Increased reps again.

Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 195 x 8, 205 x 7 (!)

I broke 200 on this. Started with the bar racked this time. May have been easier, not really sure.

T-Bar Rows: 115 x 6, 8 (!)

First set was with palms facing each other, second set was with underhand grip. Looks like my bi's helped out in the second set. I also tried a slightly more erect stance. I may go back to using a different exercise since I'm not sure if my form is strict enough to reduce strain on my lower back. I seem to have felt it a bit on the lower back. Between this exercise and the deadlift, I am exhausted.

Cross Bench Pullovers: 50 x 10, 60 x 7

I really like doing these and they seem to help out the lats and the chest. So for back and chest day, this looks like a good exercise to add.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 6(!)

Looking good, I think I need to stay at this weight and focus on the ROM.

Overall Comments

Workout felt great, really tried. Took a little bit longer than last week, may have been the extra exercise that I added. The gym is definitely getting busier at 8 to 9 in the morning when I'm just about finishing. I almost didn't get a rack to do BB shrugs with. I think it's time to start earlier in the mornings on Sat.

MonStar1023
04-06-2002, 08:05 AM
Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 195 x 8, 205 x 7 (!)

T-Bar Rows: 115 x 6, 8 (!)

Cross Bench Pullovers: 50 x 10, 60 x 7

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 6(!)

Nice strength man! Lookin good deadlifts are coming up, along with the t-bar rows. All looking good. Nice pullover strength too I have been lifting 6 years and only do around 65s or 70s for pullovers. Barbell shrugs looking good too man, keep it up!! :D:D

MS

rookiebldr
04-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the support, MonStar. I'm surprised that anybody thinks that my lifts are anything but wimpy. When I compare my lifts to others they are usually lacking esp. in the main ones such as squats, deadlifts and bench. So the complement is a real boost. My limbs and chest are definitely weak points. :cry:

This was the first time doing cross bench pullovers, I have usually done them with my back along the bench to protect my back from injury. However, I found these just as easy and my back was fine, so I'll continue to do the cross ones.

I was going to ask you how long you've been training, now I know. I knew it had to be awhile, you don't get to be ripped at 200 with 17" arms overnight unforunately. :( 6 years, you've been at it for a while. Keep up the good work as well.

:cool: :cool:

MonStar1023
04-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Yeah I have been working out around 6 years now, jeez I am almost going on 7 years. Crazy a*s sh*t. Anyway I have to admit though that only the past year or 2 have I REALLY known what the f*ck I was doing.

I think that I build my frame pretty well with some good solid training when I was younger, just overtraining. 6-7 days per week. Honestly you should consider yourself VERY luck to have found WBB. It took me a while~ to find this place.

Blows the f*cking doors off of every single other message board out there. Very knowlegable folk here. Haha... I cant believe I said 'folk' but anyway. How old are you and everything like that? Yeah man your lifts arent bad at all dude!

Considering that youre a beginner, and even not considering it, you really have some serious potential. Try and work up to your bodyweight in chins and dips tough. STICK TO THE BASICS! Thats the best advice that I can give you. Dont bullsh*t around with trying to find special exercises etc. :thumbup::thumbup:

Right now I am doing nothing but the basics and I think that I will get some real results now.

MS

MonStar1023
04-06-2002, 10:47 PM
Few questions bro, (1) how are you doing your t-bar rows? (2) your strength on BB shrugs is more than mine. I have always been VERY weak in barbell shrugs, dont ask me why. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MS

rookiebldr
04-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Mon,

the t-bar rows are on a cybex sled Plate Loaded T-bar (http://www.cybexintl.com/products/strength/plate_loaded/plate_loaded_upper_body.html)

There is no support for the front of my chest so I'm just standing at an angled. Likely lots of strain on my lower back. We do have a chest supported T-bar, simular to the one you showed in your journal. I the support it's a bit further up the chest than what yours appears to do. Likely better support, should as the group here if either would be as effective.

I know what you mean about this board. I find it very useful reading the posts and they have convinced me to really change my routine. Now I just need to see if it will work.

MonStar1023
04-06-2002, 11:29 PM
rookiebldr-
That link doesnt work man, not sure why. Yeah the incline rowing machine that I am using is f*cking incredible bro. Awesome pumps in my back from it, great feeling of exaustion in my lats etc. Yours is the Cybex t-bar row? Try and fix the link or whatever dude I wanna see what you mean. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
04-06-2002, 11:58 PM
I've fixed the link. I had edited the wrong part of the tag.

MonStar1023
04-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah okay man I see what youre saying now dude. Nice exercise. I prefer mine but whatever its all good. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
04-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Sunday, April 7, 2002

Sleep: 9 hours - wonderfull.
Soreness: Chest and upper tri's.
Diet: 2172 cals (229g protein, 41g fat, 209g carbs)
Weight: ~171

Overall Comments

Diet was definitely low today since I stayed up late and slept in. Getting my ass in gear by noon meant I missed two meals.

rookiebldr
04-08-2002, 11:50 PM
Monday, April 8, 2002

Week 4 of WBB #1

Cardio: none
Diet: 2612 (305g protein, 34g fat, 264g carbs)
weight: 171.0

Training: Leg Day - 50 mins.

Squats: 185 x 5, 3 D 135 x 6

P*ssed, that's all I can say. I was beat after the first set, huffing and puffing. I thought I was ready for the second, nope. Couldn't do any more than 3 reps and died. Again dropped the quarters and did 6 more. This is p*ssing me off.

Hack Squats: 140 x 8, 160 x 10 (!)

I placed my legs higher up the angled plate and this seem to allow me to go deeper into the squat. I also seemed to able to push more up instead of into the back rest. I'm hoping I had better leverage. Unfortunately, I looked at the wrong week for my starting weight. I increased it from 130 which was fine, except last week I had hit 150. That's what I get for not detailing out the weight I'm going to use prior to the workout. This will plague me thought the night on the other exercises as well.

Leg Curls: 130 x 6.5, 5.5 (!)

These felt good. Almost made the extra rep, but just couldn't get the last little squeeze for full vertical. I was up on rep from last week on the second set.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 205 x 5, 6

This really p*ssed me off. I thought this would be the first time over 200 on this one. I had remember that I had gotten 205 on the Dead Lift but forgot that I was already at 205 on SLDL. When I looked in my journal to set up I looked at the wrong week like above. So I did the same rep as last time. Could I have squeezed out more weight, probably. Doing an extra rep may have been difficult, but I know I could have psyched myself up with an extra 10 lbs.

Calf Raises: 220 x 14, 260 x 11,

It was at this point that I found out that I had looked at the wrong week and I got mad at myself for being so stupid. Decided to do two sets and call it quits.

Overall Comments

Not much to say.
[/B][/QUOTE]

MonStar1023
04-09-2002, 05:04 AM
Squats: 185 x 5, 3 D 135 x 6

P*ssed, that's all I can say. I was beat after the first set, huffing and puffing. I thought I was ready for the second, nope. Couldn't do any more than 3 reps and died. Again dropped the quarters and did 6 more. This is p*ssing me off.

Impressive weights man! Dont be too hard on yourself. Not yet anyways haha youll get turned off of bodybuilding all together. Anyway bro weights and intensity look good, along with strength.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 205 x 5, 6

This really p*ssed me off.

:eek::eek: I dont know how poundages like this COULD piss you off but hey whatever blows your hair back. Haha foreal though dude this is a lotta weight and youre a rookie man dont even sweat it.

MS

MonStar1023
04-09-2002, 05:18 AM

This is the only problem that I see. This could be halting your goals a little bit bumping this to 7+ hours a night usually seems to help most people out. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
04-09-2002, 07:54 PM
MonStar-

Thanks, you are so kind. :cool: I'm over it. It wasn't so much the actual lift as it was the fact that I would have put an extra 10 or 20 lbs on the bar and attempted that if I had known that I had already done 205. When I did 205 for 5, I felt great, since I thought I was doing so much better than last week. I don't feel that I've reached my limit on the lift yet, more that I run out of steam and therefore need I stop the reps. I may infact be able to do a heavier set. Don't really know, but I want to increase week by week until I find that limit. I know I'm approaching it, just not sure where it is.

It's like the 45 degree hack squat. Every week I keep putting more weight on, trying different stances and gauging how low I'm going on the squat. I will reach the point where I will know how this exercise is suppose to be performed on this machine, I guessing that eventually it will feel comfortable.

In the squat, I think I have reached a point where I need to get by a sticking point so putting more weight on is just not going to get me by it. I just can't do more reps at this weight at the moment and I need something to develop so I can proceed. :( Next week I might try higher reps with a lower weight and see if that helps.

6 hours is bad I know but it's a matter of priorities. Sleep is just not high on the list. I know what your saying, it's exactly why I have included the hours in my journal to track how little sleep I'm getting. Last night's was a pitiful 4 hours. :rolleyes: Afternoon naps would work really well if it wasn't for work. I think if I can try and get 7-8 hours sleep on the night prior to the workout, that may allow me to see an improvement.

Oh well, again thanks for looking in and helping out.

MonStar1023
04-09-2002, 08:03 PM
Yeah man not a problem, I try to check out your journal everytime I have a chance. :):)

MS

... Just added effervescent creatine & glutamine to my refeed meal supplements, well see how that turns out!

rookiebldr
04-09-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm still taking my glutamine peptides with every protein drink, 5 grams per drink. That works out to about 10 grams on non-workout days and 20 grams on workout days.

I was taking creatine on off for a year. Cell Tech, PowerStack (a Cell Tech knock off - what can I say, I'm a rookie and will try anything to get bigger) as well as just straight creatine Mono. mixed with juice or water. I usually notice an initial weight gain and then nothing. I figured it was just the sugar and water. Who knows, I'll try it again this summer.

I'm still taking an ECA stack. I had some left over Dorian Yates T5 thermogenics which I was also stacking with the ECA. Worked really well for a while. Ran out so I'm back to just ECA.

rookiebldr
04-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Tuesday, April 9, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours :tuttut:
Soreness: Butt again, quads and hams (minor).
Diet: 2238 cals (245g protein, 41g fat, 225g carbs)
Weight: ~170.5

Overall Comments

As I pointed out above, need to sleep more. I've been getting to the gym later and later. I think I need to move my timing up a little so that I get home at a more reasonable hour and can start to relax. We'll see what happens tomorrow. It's shoulder, bi and tri day. Yippee, I love pumped arms.
[/B][/QUOTE]

MonStar1023
04-10-2002, 04:08 AM
Diet looking good man, just try and work on the sleep. Maybe try and pick up some 3 mg. melatonin tabs theyll help knock you out at night man haha. Work good. :):)

... Glutamine peptides are awesome by the way and so is ECA stack.

MS

rookiebldr
04-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Wednesday, April 10, 2002
Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 7 hours
Soreness: legs and butt - just a dull soreness when flexed.
Diet: 2632 cals (243g protein, 75g fat, 220g carb)
Weight: ~169.5

Training: Shoulder, Triceps and Biceps - 60 mins.

HS ISO Shoulder Press (per side): 75 x 5N, 5N (!)

Ok, the HS ISO press was free today and I went right for it. I needed to verify that I had used 70's per side the last time so I increased the weight by 5 over two weeks ago after warming up. Since I couldn't 6 reps, I decide to do a negative on both sets.

Seated Smith Military Press: 115 x 2, 95 x 3, 85 x 7

This time I switched to the Smith Machine to try the militaries on so that I could work the motion better. I started with 115 and went down until I could get 6-8 reps which seem to at 85lbs. This felt a bit more comfortable than last week and I'll try another set next week to see if work out how to make sure my back doesn't arch during the lift.

Seated Dumbell Press: 40 x 8 (!), 45 x 3 D 40 x 3

Tried the 40 with 8 reps so I thought maybe I was ready for the 45's. Nope, had to drop back to the 40's and get 3 more reps.

Close Grip Bench Press: 115 x 5 (!), 4

Increased a little over last week, I think I'll stay here until I get a few more reps out of it.

Skulls - Lying Tricep Extensions with Barbell: 60 x 5+2, 5+2

Down from last week. I took a little too long on the first set of 60 for 5, had to pause for 15 secs. and then rep out 2 more. So I tried the second set a little faster, same thing at 5 reps, pause for 15 and then 2 more.

Seated DB Tricep Extensions: 45 x 8

H*ll, just felt like doing these to end the tricep work.

Barbell Curls: 70 x 8, 8(!)

Up one rep, seemed easy, even though the last rep on the second set I had to break out of form and use my back a little to contract. Decided to make it a very slow return.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 10

Same as last week.

Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 50 x 7

Nice to finish off with these.

Overall Comments

Need to calc. my calories. I was late getting to the gym - needed to see the Blue Jays beat the Yankees. As a result, I didn't get my protein drink in prior to the workout.

Did you know cheesecake is a poor protein source - 309 cals, 8g of protein, 17.5g of fat and 29g of carbs - but it's mighty tasty. I suspect that my diet is shot for today once I add up the cals.

Ok, calculated my calories, a little high on the fat and I know that the numbers are a little low since I couldn't remember everything that I ate for dinner - it was a buffet and I pigged out a little with meat and seafood. I should probably add 200cals more to the above.

rookiebldr
04-11-2002, 12:18 AM
MonStar, thanks for the hint on the melatonin, I really don't have a problem sleeping once I get in the bed. It's the getting there I have the problem with. Once in I sleep great, usually.

Today, I was up a 7, so I got a good 7 hours sleep last night. However, I got away from work at 6:00pm to go the Baseball game. It was late ending, I was with some guests from Mexico so I couldn't really leave too early and the game was great anyway. So it was 11:30pm by the time I got my gym clothes, off to the gym, warmup and workout, home by 1:00am. Now I'm updating this journal while I drink my post workout / nighttime protein. It's no wonder I don't get any sleep.

Time to go.

rookiebldr
04-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Thrusday, April 11, 2002
Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 4 hours again! :tuttut:
Soreness: Butt (minor). Tri-back-delt tie in seemed to be sore or pumped all day.
Diet: xxxx cals (xxxg protein, xxg fat, xxxg carbs)
Weight: ~172.0

Overall Comments

I feel great, my shoulders just felt pumped all day long even though I know they weren't. Not really sore like legs, but heavy and trying to pull my back to the front. Likely not describing it properly. Felt great anyway.

Tonight, I get some sleep.

MonStar1023
04-11-2002, 09:30 PM
I only got 6 hours sleep last night, check my journal. tuttuttuttut Pathetic I know I am trying to give you advice and I am not even following my own advice. Pathetic.

MS

rookiebldr
04-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Yep, I noticed.

I thought of some new goals. I want to look big enough that someone actually says to me "Do you lift weights?" Now that would be cool :cool: :thumbup: People have only noticed that I have lost weight.

MonStar1023
04-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Yeah haha eventually man once you get some size and sh*t like that going on it will be obvious that youre really serious about working out. Even in full clothes its pretty obvious to everyone that I bodybuild etc. I think. :D:D

MS

MonStar1023
04-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Here is some info on melatonin that I found in one of my nutrition/supplement books.

Melatonin: .5 - 3 mg. before bedtime. Melatonin is a pineal hormone realeased at night; it regulates sleep. Low melatonin release at night is associated with chronic insomnia. In addition to promoting sleep, melatonin supplements can adjust human circadian rhythms. To induce sleep and keep your circadian rhythms early, take melatonin a 9:00 PM, which is about the time when it naturally beings to rise in your blood. Melatonin can be taken earlier or later, depending on when you want to be sleepy, and timed-released tablets are available to prevent reawakening. If you experience bad dreams or morning light-headedness, cut the dose until the symtoms dissapear and slowly raise them again.
MS

rookiebldr
04-12-2002, 02:59 PM
MonStar,

Thanks for the information. I got 7 hours last night, slept wonderfully. Maybe I'll try the Melatonin just in case. If you see on this board past midnight, tell me to get my *ss to bed since I need my sleep. :D :D

rookiebldr
04-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Friday, April 12, 2002
Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 7 hours :thumbup:
Diet: xxxx cals (xxxg protein, xxg fat, xxxg carbs)
Weight: 172.0

Overall Comments

I felt good today with all that sleep. I had hoped to make two days in a row, but guess what, I back to updating this journal.

I got my bodyfat tested today. My ritual which I have been doing every month for a year. I tell myself that I use as a gauge to know if I'm improving or not. That's what I tell myself, however, I'm so anal about it, that I do all the follow up cals to see if I've gained any muscle or not, compare which sites have improved etc. I just end up depressing myself. Then I go do it again, hoping beyond hope that the next month will see some positive changes instead of just looking in the mirror to see the results.

Anyway, I post the results tomorrow, it's likely time to create a stats post anyway. I'm down in BF% at least, I just thought it was a lot more.

Since it's chest and back day tomorrow, I'll be in a great mood after the workout - all those endorphins running around in my body will do it good.

MonStar
04-13-2002, 02:02 AM
Good luck tomorrow man with the bf% testing... :):)

MS

rookiebldr
04-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Saturday, April 13, 2002
Starting week 5 of WBB #1

Sleep 5 hours
Soreness None
Cardio: 5 mins warm-up
Diet 2719cals (283g protein, 55g fat, 224g carbs)
Weight: 172

Training: Chest and Back 60 mins

Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 6, 70 x 5

Same as last week. :rolleyes:

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 55 x 7, 6

Same reps and weight as last week :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIPS: BW x 6, 6 (!)

Yes, I went for no assisstance on these and cranked out 6. On the second set, I really tried for the 7 rep but after moving a few inches, I just couldn't get my chest to co-operate. With out the assisstance now, my leg and hips started to wave back and forth so it took more effort to control the movement and balancing. Definitely better this way, I hardly wait to start adding weight.

Chins: BW - 30 x 7, 6 (!)

Increased reps on the first set, same reps as last week on the second set.

Deadlifts: 215 x 6, 6 (!)

Last week it as 205, so this week I increased by 10 again. Next week I will definitely go for two plates per side. I still don't think I reached the max here for 6. I out of breath, heart is pumping like crazy but I don't think every muscle is fully working to get this lift going. I definitely starting to feel this in my butt today.

Padded T-Bar Rows (Icarian): 85 x 6, 6

Well, I switched to a padded T-Bar device to give my chest some support on this exercise. I think the this will help me focus on the exercise more. I suspect that the exercise isolates the back muscle better. However, I don't think that is the intent of doing the T-bars in this routine. The routine seems to focus on compound exercises to get as many muscles working as much as possible.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 8, 8, 10

So I dropped the weight from last week to focus more on contracting at the top of the traps. This was better in that regard.

Standing Dumbbell Shrugs: 70 x 9, 10

My grip sucks with this one. On the first set, I couldn't keep the DB from tilting down and rubbing the back of my hands. I just had to put the things back. Second set decided to grip further back and I still couldn't hang on to it. My traps didn't really feel this. I know I'm going to have problems moving up in the DB area if I can't hold onto the weights.

Overall Comments

Workout felt great however I need to increase the intensity on the chest. I'm expecting to feel really sore in my chest and I'm not. Got to gym earlier to day and that was better, no problem with getting the equipment.

Diet was a bit high but it was an earlier day and a workout day - I over did dinner a bit with some olive oil and shrimp.

rookiebldr
04-13-2002, 09:06 AM
STATS Page

I will attempt to keep this page update (idea stolen from Sebi's and MonStar's journals) with past and current Stats for monitoring progress. I'm sure I'll modify the format as I go along and add more stats but here is a start.

General Stats
Height: 5ft 7in
Physical Fitness Level: good - getting better day by day.
Smoking: quit 10 years ago, likely stunted my growth, definitely didn't help pack on weight when I was young - graduated HS at a lean 120lbs
Body Fat and Lean Muscle Analysis

Thanks to Fart Barker's post a little while ago, I now have several new calculations for determining my Body Fat level. You can find Fart Barker's Body Fat Spreadsheet (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9926&postid=146512) by clicking the link.

I have the same person take skin fold measurements on a monthly basis usually around the 12th of the month. She is the manager and fitness training of a small gym, the one I started out in. It's convienent and gives me consistentancy. I have doubted her 3 site method and calculations a number of times over the past year, however as inaccurate as it is, I can use it as a basis for progress. She was also willing to perform all nine measurements identified in the above spreadsheet so I now have a new base of information to go forward with.

Original Method:

This method uses a 3 sites, triceps, subscapular and supraillic.

Apr 2001: W:175____BF%:27%____LM:128____BF:47
Jul 2001: W:155____BF%:20%____LM:123____BF:31*
Aug 2001: W:155____BF%:19%____LM:125____BF:30**

... After bulking or adding fat ...

Mar 2002: W:174____BF%:24%____LM:133____BF:41

... Now cutting again...

Apr 2002: W:172____BF%:23%____LM:133____BF:39
May 2002: W:168___BF%:22%_____LM:131____BF:37

* lowest lean muscle calculated.
** lowest body fat calculated.

New Method:

The spreadsheet has 7 different test for body fat. Interesting enough, none are match up to the method that is used above. None of the tests resulted in body fat percentages as high as above, so using some rationalization I have concluded that the spreadsheet must be better.

Using the median of the 7 different tests, I get the following results:

April 2002 Wgt: 172 Median BF: 18.0% LM: 143.0 BF: 29.0
May 2002 Wgt: 168 Median BF: 16.9% LM: 140.8 BF: 27.2
June 2002 Wgt: 165 Median BF: 16.3% LM: 138.7 BF: 26.3

Measurements

Still to come.

MonStar
04-13-2002, 07:04 PM
DIPS: BW x 6, 6 (!)

Congrats bro, I knew that you had it in you. Great strength man, keep it up! I dont get it man, your bf% went up? Whatsup with that? :confused::confused:

MS

rookiebldr
04-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks MonStar. Definitely pleased with my dips. :thumbup: My left shoulder is behaving itself so either I'm using my chest muscle more to do the lift or I might have too much of the tris involved. I'm a little sore tonight in the outer chest area due to the dips - yea :)

Body Fat:
Maybe I should have posted all the months. I only listed the significant entries from last spring and summer for comparison purposes from then until now. I guess it was confusing to read.

From last Aug. until last month, I was done with a reduced diet (even though my bodyfat wasn't that low) so that I could pack on some much needed muscle. When your 155 and 19% BF there is not much muscle there and the name of the game is to build muscle. :( I knew I needed cals. to gain muscle and so I increased cals up to 3000. I wasn't consistent durning Nov or beginning of Dec and stalled during that time period. Overall, from Sep. to Feb. I went up 20lbs, about 50/50 split btw muscle and fat.

This third phase which started March 2002 is to cut down again so that I can start add muscle again in the fall. I'll add in March's starting point for future comparisons - it was 24%. So I have gone down 1% from the middle of March with this routine. :) :)

rookiebldr
04-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Sunday, April 14, 2002

Sleep: 9 hours.
Soreness: Chest and traps - yea.
Diet: 2365 cals (256g protein, 63g fat, 183g carbs)
Weight: ~170

Overall Comments

Diet was a little high on the fat (24%) today and low on carbs. My traps were really sore today. Wasn't really expecting that since I didn't think I had it them as hard as the previous week. Felt great today to be sore.

rookiebldr
04-15-2002, 11:37 PM
Monday, April 15, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #1

For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121), and Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours - restless.
Soreness: Traps
Diet: xxxx (xxxg protein, xxg fat, xxxg carbs)
weight: ~170.0

Training: Leg Day - 45 mins.

Training time is getting shorter, I seem to have whipped through the exercises.

Squats: 190 x 6 (!), 5 D 135 x 6 (!)

Yea, I increased the weight by 5lbs but rep'd out 1 additional rep per set. I felt energized doing this and ready for the Hack Squats.

Hack Squats: 180 x 9 (!), 230 x 6 (!)

:cool: :cool: Started with feet higher up back plate and with a wider stance. Leverage is better and able to get lower in the squat - down to parallel.

Leg Curls: 130 x 6, 5

Same as last week - didn't improve here this week.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 215 x 4 (!), 4 (!)

Hard to tell if this is an increase from last week since I dropped two reps off. I actually started one rep, hit my water bottle and sent if flying. Lost my concentration and re-racked the bar. Waited a moment and rep'd out 4. Second set I could only do 4 more. Oh well, I'll stay here for next week and see if I can move it o 6. I suspect that I'm finally reaching my limit on the SLDL and now every increase really will be because of an increase in strength.

Calf Raises: 260 x 10, 11, 13

Felt really good, nice burn on the last set.

Overall Comments

6 hours sleep and for some reason I woke up at 3:00am for half and hour. Diet was pretty good today - just haven't worked out the calories yet. I had a cheat item - a popsicle (95cals - 23.7c). Maybe I should use these instead of the rockets (Smarties for those in Delaware).

Anyway, great workout. Legs and butt are feeling it already. I expect to be sore tomorrow.

MonStar
04-16-2002, 08:24 AM
rookiebldr-
Squats: 190 x 6 (!), 5 D 135 x 6 (!)

Hack Squats: 180 x 9 (!), 230 x 6 (!)

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 215 x 4 (!), 4 (!)

Awesome strength gains bro keep it up!! Looking like some serious poundages too really looking good. Hehe yeah Smarties to us here in Delaware. Been eating them postworkout and loving them! :p:p

MS

rookiebldr
04-16-2002, 04:41 PM
MonStar-

Thanks. I went back to see my original workout for legs with this WBB #1 routine. Now for some rationalization! I will say, in the past year, I have never made legs a priority. Yes, I would work them, but if I was to skip a day, it would always be leg day. Also, until joining this forum, I never did SLDL or hack squats, nor would I do much in the way of squats of the normal variety. Leg extensions, leg presses and leg curls were the order of the day. *Too much rationalization, however it's my journal and I get to write what I want.*

On to the results. In the last 5 weeks I have increase in the following:

Squats: 175 x 6 to 190 x 6 up 15lbs

Hack Squats: 110x6 to 230 x 6 up 120lbs
I'm just getting use to these so most of this is from getting comfortable with the exercise and very little from any real increases. I am finally figuring out how best to do these - taken me 5 weeks to figure it out :rolleyes: but it is working

Seated Leg Curls: 125 x 6 to 130 x 6 up 5lbs

Stiff-leg Dead Lifts: 185 x 6 to 215 x 4 up 30lbs
Up 30 but down 2 reps. Again, since this is a new exercise for me I think alot of this is just getting use to the exercise.

Standing Calf Raises: 200x14, 14, 220x12, 12 to 260 x 14 up 40lbs :)

Dispite the rather pathetic lifts, I have lost 5 lbs (1lb per week) and added .25 inches to each leg. I also think will now be able to set some goals to aim for on legs day. Next post.

rookiebldr
04-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Goals Page

This page will start to detail out a set of strength goals for myself. This should help in achieving my real goal which is to be bigger and leaner.

Current goals for legs are:

Squats: 230 x 6 (more than two plates per side)

Hack Squats: 300 x 6 (A bigger jump since I may not be completely done the increasing yet.)

Seated leg Curls: 150 x 6 (Nice round number and I really haven't been increasing much here so I need a bigger goal.)

Stiff-legged Deadlift: 250 x 6 (No reason.)

Standing Calf Raises: 300 x 10 (Max out the stack.)

...more to come as I set them.

rookiebldr
04-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 5 hours. tuttut
Soreness: Legs
Diet: 2676 (252g protein, 63g fat, 266g carbs)
weight: ~169.0

Overall Comments

Summer has arrived in Southern Ontario. It got up to 26C (79F) here. Sunny and hot tomorrow. Time to get a tan.

MonStar
04-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Squats: 230 x 6 (more than two plates per side)

Hack Squats: 300 x 6 (A bigger jump since I may not be completely done the increasing yet.)

Seated leg Curls: 150 x 6 (Nice round number and I really haven't been increasing much here so I need a bigger goal.)

Stiff-legged Deadlift: 250 x 6 (No reason.)

Standing Calf Raises: 300 x 10 (Max out the stack.)

Nice strength goals. A few of them it seems like youll be acheiving in no time at all. Probably by summer time or around there. Good luck bro. Nice journal. :cool::cool:

... Losing weight huh? I saw your weight was 169 yesterday.

MS

rookiebldr
04-17-2002, 08:11 AM
MonStar-

Yep bro, summer sounds like a good time frame to meet the goals and if their f*cting easy to achieve then I'll still be pleased - because it's progress! Some maybe easier than others.

Diet is good, however I'm down another .5 - 1 lb this morning. Too fast in my opinion. I may have been a bit low on water intake yesterday. I decided to up my calories a little bit (200g or so) just to slow it down for a week and to make sure that I continue to have some strength gains.

MonStar
04-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Yeah man weighing in on a daily basis seems like a good way to track your progress - but you always have to take into play how much water you took in all day, whether or not you just ate, everything like that. There are a bunch of factors in determining your weight.

Yeah good luck with your strength goals. I would love to be pulling 495 from knee level in rack pulls and squatting 405 by the end of summer. That would be really really impressive, for me at least. Oh well. Good luck man!! :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

rookiebldr
04-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness: Legs and butt
Diet: 2766 (267g protein, 65g fat, 272g carbs)
weight: ~168.5

Overall Comments

Ok, so today should be shldr/tri/bi day but my wife is out of town and I'm home with my kid. I've decided to take a long lunch tomorrow and get the work out in then. Let's see how busy the gym is in the early afternoon tomorrow.

My butt seem to sore now all the time - maybe from sitting so much. Yesterday, my lower outer quads were feeling sore, today it is the top upper quads that are sore - esp. the left one. Not complaining, I just wish my arms felt like they been hit like my legs always do.

Diet, I've increase the calories a little bit over the past few days, introducing a little bit more fat and carbs. I'm back to eating the flax seed oil with my morning protein drink to add in a little fat. I over did the cals a bit too much on some meals and will work to bring this down more on Friday and forward.

rookiebldr
04-18-2002, 07:18 PM
Thrusday, April 18, 2002

Sleep: 5 hours
Soreness: legs
Diet: 2471 cals (268g protein, 46g fat, 242g carb)
Weight: ~169.0

Training: Shoulder, Triceps and Biceps - 50 mins.

Seated Smith Military Press: 95 x 7(!), 6(!)

Back to trying these. The regular upright seat wasn't available so I had to use an adj. bench. Slightly different angle so that may have attributed to the increase in weight since I seem to feel my back a bit more in the movement.

Seated Dumbell Press: 45 x 6(!), 45 x 5(!)

This was really tough, slow and I'm sure that I cheated on the last rep by not going down a low as I should have. Took everything I had to push the last rep up to the top.

Side Lateral Raises: 20 x 7 D 10 x 10, 20 x 7 D 10 x 10

Has been two weeks since I did these, no improvement, actually down 2 reps with the 20's - maybe I was a bit more controlled.

Close Grip Bench Press: 115 x 8(!), 6(!)

This was definitely improved over last week, up 2 reps. Next week I move up the weight again.

Skulls - Lying Tricep Extensions with Barbell: 70 x 4, 5

I did this with 70lb BB a couple of weeks ago so I decided to them again with 70lb. No improvement since that time, just the same.

Barbell Curls: 80 x 5(!), 4

Last week was 70 for 8, so I went up a bar and hit 5 reps. May have been a bit too soon since I think I need to do at least 6 reps instead.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 8

No real improvements here.

Overall Comments

Workout was good. What a pump though. No problems getting to the equipment, that was good. It was busier than my usual time, but not like it is at 5:00pm. I may have done better on some the exercises because it was mid afternoon instead of late at night, or maybe the increase in calories helped.

Orange357
04-18-2002, 07:19 PM
n=?

rookiebldr
04-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Orange357
n=?

I've updated it now, I had to go off and do something and I decided to save my changes at the mid point. I thought I would be right back to follow up with the changes but didn't get back. :D :D

Nice to see that ppl are reading though. :cool: :cool:

MonStar
04-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Seated Dumbell Press: 45 x 6(!), 45 x 5(!)

Nice strength here man keep it up. Soon youll be OH pressing the 60s no questions asked. ;);)

Barbell Curls: 80 x 5(!), 4

Nice strength here too bro. For me standard BB curls were one of the hardest movements to gain strength in - but then again everyone is different.

MS

MonStar
04-19-2002, 10:13 AM
20 x 7 D

What is the "D" that you have here dude? I was meant to ask you that a few times. Its in your sets sometimes.

MS

rookiebldr
04-19-2002, 08:28 PM
MonStar-

The strength is coming along, I hope I'm not moving up the lbs too quickly at the expense of ROM or no. of reps. I'm trying to wait until I nail 8 reps with good form before moving up. However, sometimes after I move up, I go back down to 5 or even 4 reps instead 6. Total work performed is less, for example, BB Curls last week was 70 x 8 = 560lbs. This week it was 80 * 5 = 400 lbs. Total amount of tension time was also reduced since now I'm only doing 5 reps. Does this matter? Is this still progress? I'm hoping so. :) :)

As far as the "D", that indicates a dropped set to the next weight and rep indicated. They are not true dropped sets where you continue to drop weights until you can't go any lower. So in the case of the shoulder raises, 20lbs for 7 reps followed immediately by 10lbs for 10 reps (I couldn't find the 15lbs). I will do this occasionally if I don't feel that I have gotten enough reps on the first set and I feel that I can still give more at a lower weight. It's my attempt at trying to make sure that I put in as much intensity :confused: as everyone talks about here. In the above case, my form was suffering on the 7th rep, but I knew I'd only be able to do a half rep on rep 8. So I went to the 10lbs.

*must figure out intensity equation*

MonStar
04-19-2002, 08:34 PM
rookiebldr-
Okay man thanks for the info. And about your strength dude I am kind of the same way I think. I mean if I get 250 for 7 and then get 260 for 5 I see that as a strength increase. Not really sure why not. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
04-19-2002, 08:43 PM
Friday, April 19, 2002

Soreness: none really?
Diet: nnnn (nnng protein, nng fat, nnng carbs)
weight: ~170

Overall Comments

Today was average day, nothing much to say really. I still need to calculate my diet for today, it was a bit low since I didn't to my desk to eat when I wanted to.

Tomorrow should be chest and back day, instead I'll climbing the stairs of the CN Tower - 1760 steps (vertical height 342 m or 1,122 feet). Some so called friends of mine have convinced me to do this. They have done it before, should be about 30-40mins of intense stair climbing.

http://www.cntower.ca/faqs/images/PhotoGallery/coolstuff_photo_02_mid.gif

You can also try the following link CN Tower (http://www.cntower.ca) for more information.

MonStar
04-19-2002, 08:45 PM
Damn man that really seems like a hike!! :eek::eek:

MS

rookiebldr
04-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Yep, I'll let you know how it went. There is only one way to go and that's up. :cool: :cool:

MonStar
04-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Good luck with it bro! :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

rookiebldr
04-20-2002, 12:01 PM
I did it. :) :) 28 mins 51secs was the time. 1760 steps up the CN Tower. Not a great time in my estimate (my friends times where ~19, ~20 and ~27 mins *rationalization coming*, they are into running for workouts) but never-the-less I did complete it in under 30 mins. I think I need to work on the cardio a bit. At first it as a great pump for my quads. After about 1/2 way up, my legs really didn't notice it anymore, since it was my lungs and heart that needed the resting. That's done.

MonStar
04-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Congrats man - thats an intense 30 minutes damn. Stairclimbing is the worst! Cant stand that burn in my legs it drives me crazy. :eek::eek:

MS

rookiebldr
04-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Saturday, April 20, 2002

Week 6 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 8 hours.
Cardio: Stairclimbing for 30 mins
Diet: 2445 (239g protein, 60g fat, 240g carbs)
weight: ~169

Overall Comments

Diet was a bit odd, most of it came at dinner. I just didn't get to the food at the right times. Thats for today.

rookiebldr
04-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Thanks MonStar. Stairclimbing is not one of my better exercises either.

*edit - best to better, my grammer sucks late at night*

MonStar
04-20-2002, 09:45 PM
Yeah man I dont think its anyones favorite exercise. Very redundant. Anyway modifed my strength gains a tad to make them more realistic. Think that it will help me out big time. :cool::cool: Check them out.

MS

rookiebldr
04-21-2002, 09:07 AM
MonStar-

I sure will. :cool: :cool:

rookiebldr
04-21-2002, 09:38 AM
Sunday, April 21, 2002
Starting week 6 of WBB #1

For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121), and Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep 7 hours - sh*tty, sh*tty sleep though
Soreness upper front leg
Diet 2292cals (233g protein, 30g fat, 250g carbs)
Weight: ~167

Training: Chest and Back 65 mins

Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 6, 70 x 4

Same as last week - two weeks in a row. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Actually the second set was very tough and I only managed 4 reps instead of 5. This is not going very well, having trouble controlling these. I think next week I'll go back to 65's and see if I work on the ROM and see if I can get 8 again. :cry: :cry:

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 60 x 5 (!), 55 x 5

I was ticked about the previous exercise and was determined that I would use 60's on this one. I did, but only for 5 reps. When back down to the 55's and trying to do 7 reps but only got 5. Again, not impressed with these sets. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIPS: BW x 7 (!), 5

Yes, got an extra rep here on the first set. I was stronger and worked harder at controlling my swing. I can hardly wait to add a belt and weight.

Chins: BW - 20 x 6, 4 (!)

Increased the weight here again. I seem to notice that the assistance machine seems to change at -20 assistance. It certainly doesn't feel like there is much assistance with this and more of my body needs to tense up to ensure that I stay in line going up and down. This is a good thing though. Almost ready for BW chins. esp. if I loose much more weight :D :D

Deadlifts: 215 x 8(!), 6

Felt good on these, up 2 reps this week. Again, this is starting to feel like a glute exercise. I wasn't as much out of breath this time.

Funny, someone actually walked up to me and asked me what I was doing this exercise for. Which body parts does this affect and how to do it. I help out as I could and warned him about the doing it right. He said he would watch my form to see how to do it. I laughed and said I'm just learning this myself, so I wouldn't actually use my form as a guide. :cool: :cool: But heh, like everone else has said, nobody seems to do this exercise. Thats really cool.

Padded T-Bar Rows (Icarian): 80 x 7, 8

I dropped the weight here this week and worked on pulling the t-bar right up to the chest for a complete stretch. This set was much better than last week.

Barbell Shrugs: 275 x 6, 4 D 225 x 8

I went back up to doing 275 but after the first set and starting the second set, I just didn't think I got the traps contracted enough at the top. So I dropped the weight back down to 225 and pumped out 8 more reps. Traps are sore yeh.

Overall Comments

Workout sucked this week since I sleeped so shi*tty last night. Very restless, awake at 2:00am for an hour, awake again 4, and then 6 and finally got up at 7:30. I rushed to get to the gym and stuffed my food down. Just wasn't up for it until I got into the back exercises.

I'm going to skip legs tomorrow, maybe I'll do them on Tuesday or skip it this week. I seem to have a hurt my top left leg. Started on Thursday last week, not yet sure what it is. Seems when I sit in a chair with left ankle over top of right knee, the leg becomes sore, then I can't stand on that leg first when getting out of a chair. :confused: I just need to monitor it for a while.

rookiebldr
04-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Monday, April 22, 2002

Week 6 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness: Chest - After yesterday workout I was not expecting this - yea.
Diet: 3466 (227g protein, 102g fat, 313g carbs)

Overall Comments

F*ck, when does winter end. Snow storm this morning. It was hovering just aroung freezing all day, needed to wear my winter jacket again.

Anyway, traveling again for a series of business meetings. Today was extended to 10:30 over dinner. Thus I didn't work out - didn't think I would anyway, but I did pig out at dinner. Diet was great until the wine arrived (435cals later) at the beginning of the meal. I guess I could have avoided desert (640 cals) but my diet was already shot.

Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow and maybe even a workout while I'm here tomorrow night.

MonStar
04-23-2002, 05:26 AM
Inclined Dumbbell Press: 60 x 5 (!), 55 x 5

DIPS: BW x 7 (!), 5

Chins: BW - 20 x 6, 4 (!)

Deadlifts: 215 x 8(!), 6

Barbell Shrugs: 275 x 6, 4 D 225 x 8

Awesome strength man! Up in all these exercises. Great job keep up the hard work. Its starting to pay off as I can see your strength is soaring. Keep up the hard work. Nice journal too very easy to read. ;);)

MS

rookiebldr
04-24-2002, 12:00 AM
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Soreness: Chest, a little - maybe tight more than sore.
Diet: Way f*cking too high
weight: no scale.

Overall Comments

Ok, more work, more eating, more drinking. Looks like I missed leg day. Avoided desert, did not avoid french fries (300cals?) or sausage dog (460 cals) at lunch, scotch, wine and port at diner sort of topped off the day. Oh after dinner beers were pretty good as well.

Back on plan tomorrow, shoulders and arms tomorrow night.

rookiebldr
04-24-2002, 05:59 AM
Thanks MonStar, seems like I'm still progressing week after week. I'm thinking of switching my routine soon, upping the reps back into the 8-10 range. I don't think I want to continue this past week 8. If I can get a few of these exercises up into the 8 rep range now, then I'll be able to work with these poundages into the next phase. Thoughts?

MonStar
04-24-2002, 06:21 AM
rookiebldr-
Yeah man that seems like a good idea. I like to stick to the 6-10 rep range pretty much - sometimes Ill drop below 6 and sometimes Ill go above 10. This is how I usually do it. ;);)

MS

rookiebldr
04-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Wednesday, April 24, 2002

Soreness: nothing - chest still a little tight
Cardio: none - can you tell that I really hate this.
Diet: ---- cals (---g protein, --g fat, ---g carb)
Weight: not available

Training: Shoulder, Triceps and Biceps - 60 mins.

Cybex Seated Overhead Shoulder Press: 110 x 7, 5

Ok, tonight it all racks smith or otherwise were busy. As was the HS ISO Shoulder Press so, back to the Cybex. Anyway last time I tried these, I had been playing around with Military presses and I my have already been tired. So it is hard to tell if I have gone up in this exercise since I was fresh this time. Anyway, I pleased, tough getting this done.

Seated Dumbbell Press: 45 x 7(!), 45 x 6(!)

Ok up one rep and all but the last rep was very controlled. The last one was shakey at the top, really slow getting the dumbbells to meet at the top of the rep.

Barbell Raises: 80 x 8(!), 7 (!)

I really felt strong tonight so I threw these in as well. Really hammered my front delts. Feeling pumped now. :) :)

Side Lateral Raises: 20 x 7, 20 x 10

Ok, not much happening here. I decided to change the angle of my elbow on the second set. So first set is about 5-10 degress bent. The second set is about 75 degress bent. This made it easier to contract the delt and was a better use of the 20lbs.

Close Grip Bench Press: 125 x 6.5(!), 6(!)

Still going up on this one. added 10 lbs over last week and maintained the reps. F*ck, I feeling great for this workout. I put my hands closer together this week, that may have helped the exercise. My hands are now butt up against the smooth part. The unfortunate part was, my left shoulder started to complain again. It would appear that the shoulder still does not like bench presses.

Skulls - Lying Tricep Extensions with Barbell: 70 x 7(!), 6(!)

Yep, adding some reps here.

Seated Upright Tricep Extensions with One Dumbbell: 45 x 10

I couldn't remember when the last time I had done these and so I did them with the 45's. This was a lot easier then I remember and so I need to move up in weight.

Barbell Curls: 80 x 6(!), 6n

Up one rep on these. I think I was finally getting tired now and needed some help (i.e. some back movement) to get the second set in after 3 reps. So I decided to do the last 3 reps a negatives.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 12 (!)

Actually these felt a lot easier this week. Shoulder was not a factor here. Time to move up in weight next week.

Reverse Curls: 60 x 3, 50 x 6

I really like these but I should have went with the 50's and got the good 6-7 reps out of them. The second set was too soon after the first and just didn't feel as good. Anyway that is all.

Overall Comments

Workout was f*cking great. The pump was incredible, not sure why maybe the rest from not doing legs on Monday or the extra food over the last two days. Anyway, rest day tomorrow.

Oh yeah, diet is back to normal today. I just haven't figured out the calories yet. Cottage cheese, tuna, protein bars, fruit, chicken etc. Likely 2300 cals.

rookiebldr
04-25-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by MonStar
rookiebldr-
Yeah man that seems like a good idea. I like to stick to the 6-10 rep range pretty much - sometimes Ill drop below 6 and sometimes Ill go above 10. This is how I usually do it. ;);)

MS

I guess what I was getting at was that the routine that I am doing right now is, I believe, more focused on strength gains instead of size gains. The various articles I read seem to indicate that 8-10 rep ranges are more for hypertrophy. These articles suggest that a cycling approach would be better so that after some number of weeks, to switch to a new phase or rep range. So, I know my strength continues to increase on this routine and thus I am still progressing. I need to figure out if I should stop something that seems to be working in favour of something else. I think I'll do some more research.

Thanks again for your help and btw, your strength gains are going through the roof. F*ck, you are motivated now. ;) ;)

MonStar
04-25-2002, 07:26 AM
Barbell Raises: 80 x 8(!), 7 (!)

Nice strength here man. But I am curious if I have these right - are barbell raises just upright rows or what?

Barbell Curls: 80 x 6(!), 6n

Nice strength here too man, really looking good. A lot stronger than I was when I first started. I remember 65 for 12-15 reps on BB curls was a struggle!!

MS

MonStar
04-25-2002, 07:27 AM
... Yeah I am having some pretty good strength gains. Not sure why I dont feel like I am doing anything any different. Kind of strange I guess. Oh well I am not complaining!

MS

rookiebldr
04-25-2002, 08:27 PM
MonStar-

Yea, I think your right. It was my short hand I had put in my hardcopy journal. :redface: Standing upright, narrow grip, raise barbell to upper chest area with elbows out to the side. Hits the front delts and traps. I'm also using easy curl bars on curls, extensions and these raises. They are fixed weight with 10lb inc. I've recently switched to regular bench and olympic bar for my close grip bench presses.

Looks like curls of 65 for 15 reps would likely be equivalent to my 80 for 6. My arms have been esp. tough for me as well. I can look back a year ago when I started and I was doing 60 for 8 reps. :cry: My form is better now though. :) :)

MonStar
04-25-2002, 08:58 PM
rookiebldr-
Yeah dude everything is looking good. Unfortunately its not for me, I feel like I am going to throw up all over - binged tonight like a fat slob and I feel so full and disgusting. :(:(

MS

rookiebldr
04-25-2002, 09:33 PM
:omg: Don't you just want barf your f*cking guts out when you eat that much? 10,000 f*cking cals in 4 hours? Who the f*ck keeps up with you? ;) ;)

rookiebldr
04-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Thrusday, April 25, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours.
Diet: 2038 cals (215 protein, 40 fat, 201 carbs)
weight: ~169.5

Overall Comments

Diet back to normal, really tied today - need more sleep.

rookiebldr
04-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Friday, April 26, 2002

Sleep: 7 hours.
Diet: 2336 cals (256 protein, 47 fat, 215 carbs)
M1 - Oatmeal, protein shake w/ skim milk - 432 (60p, 5f, 35c)
M2 - Fruit Btm Yogurt, protein bar - 467 (26p, 9f, 71c)
M3 - Pasta, chicken breast, breadstick - 455 (41p, 23f, 19c)
M4 - Cottage Cheese 1%, apple - 241 (28p, 3f, 29c)
M5 - Pasta, tuna, tomatoes - 403 (44p, 5f, 44c)
M6 - Protein shake w/ skim milk - 338 (56p, 3f, 17c)

weight: ~168.5

Overall Comments

I thought it was time to start adding in my meals. Meals 1,2,4 and 6 are typical for me. Meals were good today although I don't usually eat pasta twice in a one day.

Chest and back day tomorrow. Yea.

MonStar
04-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Nice man, like to see what your eating on a daily basis. Seeing only your totals kind of makes it a little confusing because I dont know specifically what youre eating ya know? :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
04-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Saturday, April 27, 2002
Starting week 7 of WBB #1

Sleep 6 hours - Why didn't I go to bed earlier
Soreness f*ck all
Diet 2150cals (240g protein, 31g fat, 229g carbs)

M1 - Protein/Carb Drink - 358 (40p, 1f, 47c)
M2 - Post Workout Protein / Carb Drink - 358 (40p, 1f, 47c)
M3 - Oatmeal, cottage cheese - 245 (32p, 4f, 26c)
M4 - Crab meat, W/W bread, Tomato, yogurt, peanuts - 439 (36p, 11f, 49c)
M5 - Chicken Breast, rice, salad, strawberries - 403 (36p, 10f, 42c)
M6 - Protein w milk - 338 (56p, 3f, 17c)

Weight: ~167

Training: Chest and Back 40 mins

Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 7(!), 70 x 4

Up a rep on first set and better ROM. Need to work on a quicker pace since this is still very slow and I'm dying too early. I said last week I would go back to 65's but f*ck it, I needed the ego trip. :rolleyes: I'm really squeezing the pec at the top of the movement now.

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 60 x 6 (!), 60 x 5

This was good, felt that this weight is really coming along.

DIPS: BW x 5.5, 7(!)

One extra rep on the second set, I don't really know what was going on with the first set. Just ran out of steam. This would continue on for the rest of the workout. Up side, my chest was starting to get sore alread. I was feeling this.

Chins: BW - 10 x 4, BW - 20 x 4

I forgot to warm up for the back. Tried BW and could only get 3 reps. Then did a warm-up and tried BW - 10. Got 4 reps and died. Went to BW -20 and died after 4. I was really getting tied. :( :(

Deadlifts: 215 x 7, 6

Really tied now. Got these going but it did not hit my back as I would have liked, I should have been able to go up 20 lbs.

Padded T-Bar Rows (Icarian): --

I dropped these completely, just too tried.

Barbell Shrugs: 245 x 9, 9

Did 9 solid reps, full contraction and stretch. A good set.

Overall Comments

Workout was great until I hit my back and I just ran out of steam.

Aha, as the day has progressed, my traps are nice and sore and my back is a little sore. :) :)

rookiebldr
04-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Nice man, like to see what your eating on a daily basis. Seeing only your totals kind of makes it a little confusing because I dont know specifically what youre eating ya know? :cool::cool:

MS

I figured that if I was going to get any suggestions on my diet, I better post it. I just find it a pain entering into my diet log to cal the calories and then re-entering all of it into this journal. If it doesn't become too onerous then I continue. We'll see.

JT.

MonStar
04-27-2002, 08:09 AM
Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 7(!), 70 x 4

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 60 x 6 (!), 60 x 5

Awesome press strength here man, very impressive. Looking good dude seriously. Keep up the hard work bro. Youll be getting those 100s in no time.

DIPS: BW x 5.5, 7(!)

Looking good man! Glad to see that are going with your actual BW now. Now you dont can start to focus on adding weight to your BW. :):)

Barbell Shrugs: 245 x 9, 9

Strength here looking awesome man!! If I did BB shrugs I would be right around this weight and reps. Very impressed.

MS

rookiebldr
04-27-2002, 04:28 PM
MonStar-
I believe my back and traps have been the easiest to train and the most responsive to the training. I've been consistent since mid December and it's starting to reap dividends. 100's are still a ways away.

rookiebldr
04-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Sunday, April 28, 2002

Week 7 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 10.5 hours - holy f*ck!!!
Soreness: chest and bis

Diet:M1 - 2 eggs, bagel, natty peanut butter - 444 (23p, 21f, 42c)
M2 - Yogurt (fruit btm), tuna, rice - 488 (38p, 6f, 72c)
M3 - Steak, rice, salad (olive oil + balsamic Vinagar) - 814 (62p, 27f, 85c)
M4 - Protein shake w/ skim milk - 338 (56p, 3f, 17c)
M? - wine 218 (5c)
Total 2302 cals (180 protein, 58 fat, 222 carbs)
weight: ~167.5

Overall Comments

I got a great sleep last night. I could have slept longer however, there were things to do. Late getting up and I missed a meal in the afternoon. Chest was a little sore today and so were my bis. My chest is seems to be sore on the outer most portion of the muscle - maybe this is still from the dips. Need to work on the presses more, me thinks.

MonStar
04-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Sleep: 10.5 hours - holy f*ck!!!

Awesome man, keep it up. Important for strength goals and all that. Keep it up!

wine 218 (5c)

This doesnt make much sense bro. 218 calories doesnt equal 5g of carbs. 5g of carbs = 20 calories. There are 4 calories in each gram of carbs. I am confused here..

MS

rookiebldr
04-28-2002, 09:20 PM
Yep, it's confusing to me as well. The program I'm using to calculate the calories list 5g of carbs but 218 cals. I've checked other alcoholic listings in the program and simular values show up. I would believe the cal. since I know alcohol does contain alot, however there really is little of any nutrient value in it thus only 5g of carbs. On the good side, lots of potasium and minerals in red wine. :D :D

MonStar
04-29-2002, 04:38 AM
Yeah thats true man, I dont know. Well good luck again. How close are you to acheiving your strength goals? :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
MonStar-
I'm a little ways away. I've just set leg goals at the moment and yesterday was the first day I've done legs since setting them. So I'll need a little more time. Thanks for the reminder though. :cool: :cool:

RB

MonStar
04-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Not a problem man, I am going to acheive my squat goal next week. And after that I am not sure what will come next, maybe rack pulls I dont know.

MS

rookiebldr
04-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Monday, April 29, 2002

Week 7 of WBB #1

Soreness: Traps
Diet:
M1: Protein shake w/ milk, Oatmeal 432 (60p, 5f, 35c)
M2: Protein bar, Yogurt 467 (27p, 9f, 71c)
M3: Tuna Sandwich, Milk 432 (35p, 16f, 38c)
M4: Cottage Cheese, Apple, Peanuts 403 (36p, 17f, 34c)
M5: Shrimp, Rice, Vegies 312 (35p, 4f, 31c)
M6: Protein Shake 338 (56p, 4f, 18c)
M7: Post Workout Shake 358 (40p, 1f, 47c)
Total 2742 cals (289g protein, 55g fat, 274g carbs)
weight: ~168.0

Training: Leg Day - 45 mins.

Not a good day. This sucked big time. I didn't train legs last week however I don't think that should have played a part in this evenings lifts. Anyway, here goes.

Squats: 195 x 3, 185 x 5 (!)

Oh, I thought I could just add 5 more pounds. Nope. Not even 4 reps. I got the three, not sure what happened. Legs were wobbly, stance was wrong, form was bad. You name it. I was really rounding my back and the lift just seemed to be have a back component in it instead of all legs. yuck.

45o Sled Hack Squats: 230 x 7, 6

I think I'm using too much weight and not getting enough down deep enough with this. I also bottomed out a one point (rep 2 of set 2) and had to partially deload to lift the hack up so that I could get underneath it. Restarted and got six reps out.

Leg Curls: 130 x 7(!), 5

Up one rep here. Likely as a result of not going all out on the squats.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 215 x 6 (!), 4

This is coming along, felt good about these.

Calf Raises: 260 x 12, 10

Nothing to write home about these.

Various Crunches weighted: 20, 20, 12, 12

It's about time I did some ab work.

Overall Comments

I was hoping for that can't walk feeling, didn't make it. I did start to feel something in my quads by time I got home and tried to walk up the stairs. Any that's done.

rookiebldr
04-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Not a problem man, I am going to acheive my squat goal next week. And after that I am not sure what will come next, maybe rack pulls I dont know.

MS

Great going bro. I'll be watching.

rookiebldr
04-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Week 7 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness: Quads, butt, traps.
Cardio:
15 mins crosstrainer - 80% HR
25 mins rowing - 5kms

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ milk + flax, oatmeal - 451 (36p, 19f, 33c)[/i]
M2: Protein Bar, Yogurt - 467 (27p, 9f, 71c)
M3: Tuna andwich, milk - 432 (35p, 16f, 36c)
M4: Apple, cottage cheese, peanuts - 403 (36p, 17f, 34c)
M5: Chicken breast, rice, green beans 407 (51p, 6f, 34c)
m6: Protein Shake w/ milk - 212 (32p, 2f, 15c)
Total 2372 cals (217 protein 36%, 67 fat 26%, 223 carbs 38%)

Overall Comments

Seeing as I'm not getting up early enough to do cardio in the morning, I'll try and do it over lunch instead. I started out with 40 mins of muscle wasting activity.

rookiebldr
05-02-2002, 12:31 AM
Wednesday, May 1, 2002

Soreness: Quads - surprising, must have been the rowing.

Cardio:
none

M2: Protein Bar, Yogurt - 467 (27p, 9f, 71c)
M3: Tuna andwich, milk - 432 (35p, 16f, 36c)
M4: Apple, cottage cheese- 241 (28p, 3f, 29c)
M5: pasta+sauce, tuna 456 (45p, 8f, 46c)
M6: Protein Shake w/ milk - 212 (32p, 2f, 15c)
M7: Post Workout Shake w/ milk - 358 (40p, 1f, 47c)
Total 2617 cals (243 protein 37%, 57 fat 19%, 276 carbs 42%)

Training: Shoulder and Arms

Military Press: 95 x 5, 5

Back to doing seated military presses in the rack. I think I'm still using too much of my back to raise this up. Seems to be getting the traps involved instead of the delts.

DB Overhead Press: 45 x 7, 5

These are coming along, need to work at these more. Same rep as last week.

Front Raises 90 x 6, 5

Moved up 10 lbs here but the last rep was really a stretch. Likely on 3/4 of the ROM for the delts.

Side Laterail Raises: 20 x 9, 7 D 15 x 7 D 10 x 5

These just don't want to progress here.

Close Grip Barbell Presses: 135 x 3.5, 125 x 5.5

After warming up with 90 lbs, I though I would go with 135 (10 more than last week). Nope, got 3 and half, had to roll it down my belly and stand up to re-rack it. Oh well.

Skulls: 70 x 7, 5

Same as last week.

Barbell Curls: 80 x 5, 70 x 4

Worst than last week, few reps and I felt that my back was getting involved so I dropped to 70's. Still couldn't get more than 4 on the next set without adding the back so I stopped.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 30 x 7

A good set here, went up 5 lbs over last week.

Overall Comments

Good workout, didn't beat many of my last weeks lifts but felt great anyway. Diet is on, I think I do some cardio again at work tomorrow if I can.

MonStar
05-02-2002, 04:57 AM
Side Laterail Raises: 20 x 9, 7 D 15 x 7 D 10 x 5

Close Grip Barbell Presses: 135 x 3.5, 125 x 5.5

Looking good man. Great sets here. Nice CG bench strength bro thats really impressive! Keep it up man.

Skulls: 70 x 7, 5

Barbell Curls: 80 x 5, 70 x 4

Nice strength on the both of these too. My goals for these right now are 160 for skulls for 4 and 145 for BB curls for 4. Hopefully Ill get these in the next few months! Long way away from where I am at now. :eek::eek:

MS

rookiebldr
05-02-2002, 08:36 PM
Thursday, May 2, 2002

Soreness: Quads, shoulders.
Cardio:
30 mins rowing - 6.1 kms. Crosstrainer was busy so I just did some extra time on the rowing machine.

M2: Protein Bar, - 293 (21p, 5f, 41c)
---- cardio ----
M3: Tuna sandwich, milk, banana, yogurt - 687 (51p, 11f, 93c)
M4: Apple, cottage cheese, 241 (28p, 3f, 29c)
M5: pasta+cheese sauce, scallops, pears 670 (42p, 13f, 97c)
M6: Protein Shake w/ milk - 212 (32p, 2f, 15c)
Total 2554 cals (212 protein 33%, 52 fat 18%, 307 carbs 48%)
weight: ~168

Overall Comments

A good day. I'm starting to enjoy the rowing and it's getting me out of the office for brief time to work out my frustrations. My weight doesn't seem to be changing much, but I my stomach is looking better. So all is well.

rookiebldr
05-02-2002, 08:41 PM
My goals for these right now are 160 for skulls for 4 and 145 for BB curls for 4. Hopefully Ill get these in the next few months! Long way away from where I am at now. :eek::eek:

MS

MonStar-
160 seems a long way away, that's over double what I am currently doing. Although, I still need to set some more goals, I think I'd like to get skulls and BB curls up to 100. I might need to train a little differently to see my weights really go up.

MonStar
05-02-2002, 09:45 PM
rookiebldr-
Yeah man good luck.. hitting 100 with skulls and curls is definitely awesome. I didnt hit that weight until probably a year or 2 ago. Tough increasing strength on the iso movements. My BB curls totally suck - always have, same with my bench and BTN presses. But hey, what can ya do? I think I even out with my dip and squat strength. ;);)

MS

rookiebldr
05-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Friday, May 3, 2002

Soreness: Shoulders - esp. left.
Cardio:
none
Diet:too lazy to calculate

Overall Comments

Ok, it was a vacation day today and so my planned meals did not occur as good as they should have. Diet was reasonable had sub and some icecream.

This upcoming week will be a bad week for exercise. Tomorrow should be chest and back, but I will be up early launching the boat. So I will likely workout on Sunday. I'll be traveling on Monday and Tuesday (there goes leg day). Anyway, I'll need to work something out.

rookiebldr
05-03-2002, 09:55 PM
rookiebldr-
Yeah man good luck.. hitting 100 with skulls and curls is definitely awesome. I didnt hit that weight until probably a year or 2 ago. Tough increasing strength on the iso movements. My BB curls totally suck - always have, same with my bench and BTN presses. But hey, what can ya do? I think I even out with my dip and squat strength. ;);)

MS

Yea, I keep forgetting how long some of you have been doing this. Even though your only 18, you've been at it a lot longer than I. Your squat strength really has been increasing - over 425, f*cking fantastic! You must be finding your legs are finally growing as well.

MonStar
05-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Haha I wish my squat strength was over 425... my rack pull strength is at 425 for 6, my squat strength right now is at 370 for 10.5. Must be confusing the 2 haha its all good man. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
05-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Yep, just forgot to re-look at the numbers before I specified. 370 is ace in my book as well. :thumbup:

MonStar
05-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Hehe I hope so, again thanks. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
05-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Saturday, May 4, 2002

Week 8 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 5 hours + 3 afternoon nap
Soreness: Shoulders - esp. left.
Cardio:
none
Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & Flax, Oatmeal - 451 cals (36p, 19f, 33c)
M2: Protein Bar - 281 cals (30p, 8f, 24c)
M3: Tuna on a Bagel - 381 cals (43p, 5f, 38c)
M4: Cottage Cheese, Apple - 241 cals (28p, 3f, 29c)
M5: Caesar w chicken, Pasta w/ cheese & meat sauce + chicken, beer - 677 cals (42p, 25f, 44c)
M6: Birthday Cake, chocolate - 338 cals (4p, 14f, 52c)

Totals: 2370 Cals ( 183g protein 31%, 74g fat 28%, 219g carbs 37%)

Overall Comments

Not much to tell. Chest and back tomorrow.

Accipiter
05-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Good job buddy! keep it up :)

rookiebldr
05-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks Accipiter, will do. :cool: :cool:

Orange357
05-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Rookie: you should get into a competition with me adn accipiter. up for it?

rookiebldr
05-04-2002, 10:05 PM
yep, I'm game.

Orange357
05-04-2002, 10:11 PM
cool...Well figure this out later on...Im tired:)

rookiebldr
05-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Sunday, May 5, 2002

Week 8 of WBB #1. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 8 hours :)

Soreness: sweet f*ck all. :(

Cardio:
none

Diet:M1: 3 eggs, half bagel w/ peanut butter, Canadian back bacon - 535 (42p, 30f, 29c)
M2: Cottage cheese, apple, peanuts - 384 (35p, 15f, 34c)
M3: Pear, protein bar - 383 (31p, 8f, 50c)
M4: Steak, sweet potato, Green Beans- 652 (70p, 20f, 48c)
M5: Post Workout Shake w/ milk - 358 (40p, 1f, 47c)

Total 2304 cals (216 protein 37%, 74 fat 27%, 207 carbs 36%)

Training: Chest and Tris - 45 mins

Ok, this was not on the agenda today. First off, I slept in. I had actually set the alarm for 6:00 so that I could get up and workout. Just turned it off and went back to sleep. So later in the day, I decided, maybe I could squeeze in a short workout after all. Now I've been thinking all day what I would do chest and back or legs since it looked like I was going to miss a leg workout again. Oh what to do. Luckly a new opportunity rears it's ugly head.

A buddy of mine is back from uni for the summer and he called asking to get together for a workout and lunch. Yea, a workout buddy - forced reps here I come. We settled on Wednesday, which would normally be my shoulder, bi and tri day. He only wanted to work shoulder and either bi or tri. We settled for shoulder and bi. That now left, when was I going to do my tri workout.

So to make a long story shorter or longer. I decided to do it today and skip the back workout for a week. I'll try and get a leg workout in on Tuesday night after I get back from my trip (this may be tough) and then do shoulders and bis on Wednesday morning. So Chest and Tri tonight.

Flat Dumbbell Press: 70 x 7, 65 x 6 :rolleyes:

Time was really short tonight. I got in to the gym at 9:15 and the gym closes at 10:00 so I knew I would only have 45 mins to do the works. So I didn't warm up doing andy cardio, instead I went right into these. I warmed up with 3 earlier sets of 8 reps using 40s, 50s and 60s. This may have caused me to not increase on the press over the 7 reps. I found the first set tough and didn't like the ROM and so I dropped the weight on the second set so that I could get the eye of the dumbbell right down level with the chest. Seconde set was thus better.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 6, 55 x 3.5 :rolleyes:

First set was tough so again I dropped the weight hoping that the second set would be better. I could only get 3 and a half reps. I suspect that there wasn't enough time between sets or I'm just f*cking weak.

Dips: BW x 6, 6.5 :)

Maybe a little bit of an improvement here. Felt really good.

Skulls supersetted w/-: 60 x 8, 6.5
Close Grip Bench Press: 60 x 10, 10

Since I had just done tris last Wednesday and they should be warmed up a little with the chest exercises, I would drop the weight down for skulls and superset it with CGBP (no rest between skulls and CGBP). This felt really good, my tris were pumping now. Obviously no increases in strength but that wasn't what I was going for this time.

Seated Two Arm Dumbbell Extensions: 50 x 8 (!) :)

I looked back a few weeks to see what I had previously done and so I upped it by 5 lbs and still got 8 reps. Yea.

Camber Bar Cable Push Downs: 110 x 7, 7 :)

I haven't done these in like 8 weeks. Felt good to do a couple of set here.

Overall Comments

F*ckn ace workout. My chest and tris are pumped and I still up from the workout. Can't wait to get into the gym with my buddy - haven't seen him in year. Diet was off today - doing some family stuff and couldn't time the stuff right.

I also found out when the big boys workout. I can't believe how busy the gym would be on a Sunday night at 9:00 pm. Not so busy that I couldn't get a bench but close. Seem to clear out at 9:45.

rookiebldr
05-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Monday, May 6, 2002

Soreness: Chest - I love it.
Cardio:
none
Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & Flax, Oatmeal - 577 cals (60p, 20f, 35c)
M2: Protein Bar, Yoplait Yogurt - 467 cals (27p, 9f, 71c)
M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk - 432 cals (35p, 16f, 36c)
M4: Cottage Cheese, Apple, peanuts - 403 cals (35p, 16f, 34c)
M5: Salad, salmon, rice, vegies, chicken, Chocolate mouse, wine
M6: French Fries, Beer, Sambuca
Totals: **** Cals ( ***g protein, **g fat, ***g carbs)

weight: ~167

Overall Comments

So much for the diet. Traveling again with a send off for one our project members so there was a few toasts involved and a little bit of drinking. I did manage to escape prior to any really serious drinking.

On a good note, one of my close friends (female) actually mentioned that they thought I had lost weight around the middle again and that I was bigger in the shoulders. Yea, maybe this weight lifting is really working enough to be noticed after all.

rookiebldr
05-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Tuesday, May 7, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours
Soreness: Chest still.
Cardio:
none
Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk - 338 cals (56p, 3f, 17c)
M2: Protein Bar, Banana - 398 cals (22p, 6f, 68c)
M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk - 497 cals (37p, 17f, 48c)
M4: Protein Bar, Apple - 374 cals (21p, 6f, 62c)
M5: Chicken Breast (skin on), rice - 290 cals ( 31p, 8f, 21c)
M6: Protein Shake w/ Milk - 338 cals ( 56p, 3f, 17c)

Totals: 2236 Cals ( 225g protein 41%, 42g fat 17%, 233g 42% carbs)

weight:

Overall Comments

Not much to say.

MonStar
05-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Seated Two Arm Dumbbell Extensions: 50 x 8 (!)

Nice strength here man, looking good. Keep up the hard work and nice journal. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
05-08-2002, 10:01 PM
Wednesday, May 8, 2002

Sleep: 7 hours :)

Cardio:
none - tomorrow :rolleyes:

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & flax, Oatmeal
M2: Post workout Protein Shake
M3: Chicken on Bagel w/ cheese & pickels
M4: cottage cheese, apple
M5: Salmon, Shark, rice - Lots of wine

weight: ~166.0

Training: Shoulders and Bis - 90 mins

I had a workout partner today, so it's a little bit tough getting caught up on stuff and having a workout. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Great workout today. Volume was a bit higher than what I've been doing lately, but that was good too. We went to his gym and so there are few differences in some of the gear that we used.

Military Press: 95 x 6, 105 x 5 (!), 105 x 5 (!) :)

Helps having a spotter. This was really tough. Chair back was a little bit lower than I was used to but I was able to get the bar directly over my centre of gravity. (Partner was pressing 125 for 10)

Dumbbell Press: 45 x 4, 40 x 6, 40 x8 :)

After doing the first set and only getting 4, I switched up down to 40's to make sure that I could get 6 reps. Worked on form to ensure that I got all 6 and 8 reps nicely. (Partner used 70's for 11 reps.)

Side Raises: 20 x 6 D 15 x 5, 20 x 8 D 15 x 6, 20 x 8 D 15 x5 D 10 x5 :(

I couldn't quite get the the proper movement here. Really felt tough and some of the reps were a bit low. On a up note, I have read one of the new articules posted here on delt exercices and I will re-check my form based on the article. (Partner used 25 and dropped to 17.5)

HS ISO Shrugs Standing: 270 x 7, 9, 7, 6 :) :)

I've never seen one of these before. Loaded up 3 plates per side + the resitance and weight of this machine. Palms were facing each other and padded. Really hit my traps hard. They are sore now from just this one exercise. (Partner used same weight and about the same rep range.)

Standing Barbell curls: 60 x 8, 80 x 5, 70 x 7N, 70 x 7N :)

Warmed up with 60 the tried to hit 80 lb barbell. My form was really bad on the last rep so on the next set I went to 70 lb. The last rep was assisted so that I could get the negative in. (Partner used 80lbs)

Preacher Barbell curls: 60 x 5 N, 50 x 7+1N, 50 x 8+1N :)

Tried the 60 lb barbel again form was not good so I dropped down to 50 lb. Last two reps were negatives and the +1 was totally assisted to get the negative. (Partner used 80lbs)

Single Arm Cable Curls: 30 x 8 D 25 x 5, 30 x 8 D 25 x 5, 30 x 8 D 25 x 5 :)

Sort of finished off the biceps with these.

Crunches: 3 sets to failure

Overall Comments

Workout was great. Traps are really sore unfortunately bis are not. Diet was not as good as it should have been since I didn't eat at the right times and had a bit too much wine.

On the up side, my friend who hasn't seen me in about 9 months noticed some improvement in my shoulders and traps. VH101 thanks.

MonStar
05-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Military Press: 95 x 6, 105 x 5 (!), 105 x 5 (!)

Awesome strength here man! Keep it up. Are you doing these seated or standing, both are very impressive. OH press strength is a b*tch to bring up for most people really looking good dude.

Traps are really sore unfortunately bis are not.

Most peoples biceps rarely get sore. At least from everything I have read and heard. Dont think anything of this that doesnt mean that theyre not growing etc. ;);)

MS

Orange357
05-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Lol...You have the same cardio problem as me

rookiebldr
05-09-2002, 08:59 PM
MonStar-
Thanks, it's really does help having a spotter. I was able to really push and not feel that if I failed that the bar would go back and put my shoulder out. Dave said that it was all mine and that he didn't help, but I was concentrating too much to notice.

Your right about the bis, they are rarely sore but they haven't been growing either. I need to add some weight I think to really see them grow. I'll be bulking once I get my bodyfat down and I have some room to grow. Oh, btw they do feel sore today. Must have been the volume.

Orange-
Yep your correct. But, you'll see later when I update today's activities that I did manage to steal 20 mins of cardio (rowing) in the afternoon today. That's it for the week, maybe twice next week. F*ck I hate cardio.

rookiebldr
05-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Thrusday, May 9, 2002

Sleep: 6.5 hours
Soreness: Traps and bis.
Cardio:
20 Mins Rowing - 4.3 km
Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal
M2: Protein Bar, Yogurt
M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk
M4: Cottage Cheese, apple
M5: Sushi, roast beek, smoked salmon, tuna pieces, wine...

weight: 167.5

Overall Comments

Finally managed to get some cardio in. Went out again tonight and had a lot of finger foods.

rookiebldr
05-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Friday, May 10, 2002

Sleep: 3 hours :cry:
Soreness: Traps and bis a little bit still.
Cardio:
none
Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Vector w/ milk
M2: Protein Bar
M3: Ham on bagel w/ low fat cheese
M4: Cottage Cheese, pear
M5: Stirfry chicken (home made with little fat)

weight: 167.5

Overall Comments

I had my body fat tested again. As usual, I'm never particularly happy when this comes out. When I bulk, I get so disappointed if it doesn't show an increase in muscle. When I cut, I get depressed if there is any decrease in muscle mass. This could all be water or other the fact that I get tested at different times of the day. Anyway I've updated my stats page above with the May results.

Weight:168
BF%: 16.9% - down 1.1% from last month :) :)
LM: 140.8 - down 2.2 lbs from last month :cry: :cry:
BF: 27.2 - down 1.8 lbs from last month :) :)

rookiebldr
05-11-2002, 11:08 PM
WBB Routine I Summary

I have now completed 8 weeks of WBB Routine I. It's time to move on. I've been debating with myself for a week on which routine to try next and finally settled on WBB Routine II. No real surprise here. I definitely liked the low reps on Routine I but feel it's time to go back to a higher rep routine for a little while. I did contemplate HST but I have not done enough research yet and I sort of like the current split of the WBB routines.

Before I move on, I thought it would be good to give a summary of my results on this routine.

I decided to convert all weights and reps into a calculated 1 rep maxes via Accipiter's program (thanks Accipiter). This should be a better way of figuring out if I've actually increased or not. It may not mean that I could actually lift that today but it is a way to get rid of the rep counts for comparison purposes.

Chest:
Flat DB: Week 1: 76.7 Week 8: 84.7
Incline DB: Week 1: 62.0 Week 8: 70.8
DIPS: Week 1: 166.8 Week 8: 197.1

Back:
Pullups: Week 1: 161.2 Week 7: 175.8
Deads: Week 1: 218.3 Week 7: 260.1
Shrugs: Week 1: 303.8 Week 8: 342.9 *

Legs:
Squats: Week 1: 206.5 Week 5: 224.8 **
45o Hack: Week 1: 129.5 Week 7: 314.6 ***
Leg Curl: Week 1: 147.5 Week 7: 157.3
SL Deads: Week 1: 218.3 Week 7: 253.7
Calf Raises: Week 1: 299.2 Week 7: 353.6

Shoulders:
Dumbbell Press: Week 1: 47.2 Week 8: 50.4

Arms:
CG Bench Press: Week 2: 111.6 Week 7: 147.5
Skulls: Week 2: 72.6 Week 7: 84.7
BB Curls: Week 2: 84.7 Week 8: 92.0
Hammers: Week 2: 34.0 Week 8: 34.0

Notes:
* Used BB on week 1, HS Shrug machine week 8.
** Heavest weight occured week 5, did not train legs week 6 or 8
*** First time using this machine so week 1 was more training for the correct form vs week 7.
Overall, most exercises did see some increases. I'm surprised since I didn't feel that I had increased that much. Some of the increases above are really due to getting the exercise and form down to some consistancy. Once that occurred, likely week 4, then there could be some real increases. Exercises like deads and hack squats fall into this category. I have been cutting during this time period, my weight has gone down from 174.5 to 167.5 in the 8 weeks. I have seen some visible improvements in shoulder and trap definition and possibly size, however my pre and post measurements really don't indicate any size difference. My body fat has gone down by about 2% in the last two months as well.

Starting tomorrow, I'm on to WBB Routine II.

MonStar
05-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Awesome man!! Great results bro keep it up, looking forward to your results with the 2nd WBB routine. After youre finished with your WBB routines you might want to give HST a shot. I am on it right now and like it. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
05-12-2002, 05:33 AM
MonStar-
Thanks. I was a little surprised with some of the results as I tallied them up. I do want to give HST a shot. I was re-looking at it late last night and today. Looks very interesting. I've never done a full body workout before so it definitely worth a try. BTB, how did you come up with your 15,10,5RM's Did you actually test these out or did you calculate them based on what your were currently doing at the time? I've looked on the site and they seem to indicate that you need to test them out.

MonStar
05-12-2002, 07:59 AM
rookiebldr-
(1 +(0.033*Reps)) * Weight / (1 +(0.033*TargetReps))

That is the formula I got from the HST forums. Works well I think, be careful though man your 15RM is going to be pretty damn high! :):)

... Hopefully youll try HST.

MS

rookiebldr
05-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Sunday, May 12, 2002

Week 1 of WBB #II. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 4 hours :( + 30 min nap after work-out

Cardio:
none - tomorrow :rolleyes:

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Vector Cereal
M3:
M4:
M5:
M6:

Training: Chest and Back - 65 mins

This is the first week and the first time doing the WBB Routine II. On this routine, chest and back are done alternating, i.e. one chest exercise and then one back exercise. In addition, the rep ranges have been increased to between 9 and 11, from 6 to 8 in WBB routine I. Some of the exercises I haven't done in while so this week should be a little trial and error as I figure out a starting weight to use.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 55 x 11, 8 :)

So this is first exercise for chest instead of the second and I decided to drop the down to 55 from 60 that I was using during WBB I. This was tough and I really squeezed at the top to get everything out of this. Felt really good.

Close Grip Chins: -50 x 9, 9

I had to switch to the gravitron machine instead of the assisted machine I have been using over the last 8 weeks. This one is definitely different and not as smooth. I'm still really bad on chins. Just can't seem to the increases in this exercise.

Dumbbell flies: 30 x 12, 35 x 10 (!) :)

I haven't done these in 3 months. I tried my previous weight and found it too easy. 12 wasn't even to failure. So upped by 5 lbs and did 10 reps. Nice. Watch for these to improve.

Deadlifts: 205 x 6, 195 x9 :(

These suck!

Decline Dumbbell Presses: 50 x 11, 55 x 8 :)

Chest is really being work here. I like the chest work out.

T-Bar Rows: 70 x9, 9 :)

This felt like 9 solid reps. Finally a back exercise I liked. I'm wasted, time to shower.

Overall Comments

Chest felt great, back needs more work.

MonStar
05-12-2002, 08:15 AM
Dumbbell flies: 30 x 12, 35 x 10 (!)

Nice strength increase here man, looking good as usual. Keep it up bro. How do you like the WBB II routine?

MS

rookiebldr
05-13-2002, 11:25 AM
MonStar-
This was nice to see as well. I haven't done them in about 10 weeks and would have expected them to improve since my other chest exercises have improved. This seem to be a confirmation that yes my chest did get a little stronger on WBB.

I was really disappointed with my deads yesterday. The chest exercises were doing well, but the back just felt like sh*t. I'm not sure if this is related to the routine or the fact that I got just a little bit of sleep the night before. Tonight should be interesting since I'll be doing 20 rep squats. I haven't a clue what weight to use - likely my previous warmup weight since my squat s*cks so bad.

So far the routine is fine. I like the priority on the chest and shoulders which is simular to WBB #I - two weak areas. I'll let you know after a week once I feel that I've given it a chance. As always, thanks for looking in.

MonStar
05-13-2002, 12:35 PM
rookiebldr-
I am telling you man, sleep the night before really makes a difference as to what you can do in the gym the next day. I never thought it mattered that much but now I am learning that the more sleep I had the night before - the better and stronger I am the next day. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
05-14-2002, 12:10 AM
MonStar- I know your absolutely f*cking right. Sleep and food. My workout tonight was sh*t, I puked my f*ck guts out and I'm still up reading journals and doing work. What the f*ck, time for bed. I'll post my workout tomorrow.

MonStar
05-14-2002, 07:13 AM
rookiebldr-
Okay man I agree. Sleep, and food, and recuperation. Just trying to put a lot of your energy into your workouts. Thats what will get you gains. If you want gains bad enough, they will come. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
05-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Monday, May 13, 2002

Week 1 of WBB #II. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness: chest from yesterday.

Cardio:
20 mins rowing - 4.257km

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & flax, Oatmeal - 577 cals (60p, 20f, 35c)
M2: Yogurt, Protein Bar - 467 cals (27p, 9f, 20c)
M3: Tuna on Whole Wheat, milk - 497 cals (37p, 17f, 48c)
M4: Cottage Cheese, apple, peanuts - 322 cals (32p, 8f, 32c)
M5: Trout, rice, tomatoes + cucumbers - 337 cals (31p, 5f, 39c)
M6:Protein Shake - 338 cals (56p, 3f, 17c)
Total: 2538 cals (244 protein 38%, 64 fat 22% , 242 carbs 38%)
weight: ~167.0

Training: Legs - 40 mins

This is going to be great for next 8 weeks. Overall like the routine. Still need to do some tweaking.

Back Squats: 120 x 21 :)

Warmed up first with lighter weight. I had to pause at rep 16, 18, 19 and 20 to squeeze out the 20 reps. Added 1 more for good measure. Will up the weight this to 125 next week. More exhausted then anything. This really hit my glutes again. Seemed odd, loading bar up with hardly anyting, doing the reps and then deloading.

Leg Press: 250 x 20 :)

I like getting back to doing these. Really hits my quads and glutes. This was tough but I think I can put more weight on. Did need to pause a bit on the last 2 reps. Now I'm starting to feel nauseated. Sweating alot more and looking very pale I'm guessing.

Leg Extensions: 110 x 13 :(

Weaker here, not a good sign. Time to hit the washroom and empty my tummy. I know I can do better here.

Leg Curls: 110 x 10, 10

These were ok it just that my mind wasn't into anymore. Time to go home.

Overall Comments

Wasn't feeling the best, I think the higher reps are going to be good for a while. Will really focus on the muscles differently and I hoping that the improvements will translate into bigger gains.

I might switch the leg curls for SLDL esp if I don't do DLs on Back day. I don't want to loose the momentum on these.

rookiebldr
05-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Tuesday, May 14, 2002

Soreness: chest, glutes, quads.

Cardio: None today
Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ flax, Oatmeal - 577 cals (60p, 20f, 35c)
M2: Yogurt, Protein Bar - 467 cals (27p, 9f, 20c)
M3: Tuna on Whole Wheat, milk - 497 cals (37p, 17f, 48c)
M5: - cals ( p, f, c)
M6:Protein Shake w/ flax - 488 cals (56p, 18f, 17c)
Total: 2346 cals (212 protein 36%, 74 fat 28% , 203 carbs 35%)
weight: ~165.5

Overall Comments

rookiebldr
05-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Soreness: quads and butt still sore.

Cardio:
25 mins rowing - 5.283 km

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w / flax, Oatmeal - 671 cals (64p, 22f, 53c)
M2: Yogurt - 174 cals (6p, 4f, 30c)
M3: Tuna on Whole Wheat, milk, bean soup - 661 cals (46p, 19f, 75c)
M5: Pasta w/ sundried Tomatoes & olive Oil, Pork - 382 cals (24p, 12f, 46c)
M6:Protein Shake - 212 cals (32p, 2f, 15c)
M7:Post Workout Shake - 358 cals (40p, 1f, 47c)
Total: 2780 cals (244 protein 35%, 70 fat 22% , 297 carbs 42%)

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 60 mins

Seated Dumbell Presses: 40 x 11, 50 x 4, 45 x 4
Laterial Raises: 20 x 4, 15 x 7, 15 x 8
Front Raises: 15 x 7, 15 x 8, 15 9

These three exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. I warmed up doing some lighter dumbell presses and then went into the this first superset indicated. I was trying to aim for 6 reps on each exercise. I found that by the time I got to the laterial raises, that I just could not do more than 4 reps so I drop down to 15 on the next set. Overall felt that this did indeed hit the shoulders pretty good. At the time, I felt that I was stopping the shoulder work a bit early, however I pressed onto triceps.

Incline Skulls: 50 x 11, 60 x 13, 70 x 8.5 :)

First time doing Incline Skulls. My form is likely closer to what I think is calll french presses instead since on the stretch of the tri, my palms were above my head instead of touching my forehead. Still, it felt better this way. I'm also not sure of how much of an incline I should be on it is currently set for around 45 degrees I think (third hole). Since I wasn't sure how much weight to use, I started with 50 lbs curly bar, after 11 stopped and counted it as a warmup. Second set was close to failure, third set I could get the stretch on rep 9 but could not get the bar back up to the vertical.

Incline Dumbell Curls: 25 x 10, 8.5

Ah, my weak arms. Anyway I eeked out 10 reps and 8.5 reps with no back help.

Tricep Dips: BW - 20 x 12, BW x 9 :)

These were easier than I thought. I was able to get my chest out of the exercise and focus on the triceps. I might of used my back or rear delts a little on the second set. Glad to be starting at BW and will look forward to adding weight.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 10

Solid curls, good form.

Overall Comments

Over all the day was good. I eeked in a cardio session in the morning and managed my workout late in the day. Felt more away and stronger for the session. I have been increasing my cals a bit now that I'm doing the cardio more. I still hope to lose some inches around the tummy.

MonStar
05-16-2002, 09:39 AM
Incline Skulls: 50 x 11, 60 x 13, 70 x 8.5

Nice strength here man, looking good. How high is the incline that youre doing these skulls with? :):)

MS

rookiebldr
05-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Incline Skulls: 50 x 11, 60 x 13, 70 x 8.5

Nice strength here man, looking good. How high is the incline that youre doing these skulls with? :):)

MS

As always thanks MonStar. I'm not sure if these are suppose to be easier doing them incline on not, but I did find them easier. One of 3 things might have contributed to this being easier. 1) the angle is machanically better. 2) This was the first tri exercise so they were not pre-exhausted from close grip bench that I was doing in my previous routine or 3) My delt exercise did not wear me out as much as my previous routine so I was a little fresher for this one. Might have been a combination of all three. Although I only did 8.5 on the 70, I'm sure that I can get 10 on the 70 the next time out when I start at 70 instead of using the 60lbs BB. :) :)

As for the height, that is a good question. Geometry not being one of my stronger educational pursuits and not having measured the distance I'll try and describe the setting instead. When the bench back is raised at it's lowest position, I would be at about 30 degrees incline. I raised the seat back up by 3 positions of a total of 8 positions. I figure then I'm about 50 degrees of incline. I can look slightly down and straight ahead and see myself in the mirror. This made it a little easier to see that my form was in proper.

CBates
05-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Pretty nice and detailed journal, just got through browsing through it. Good upper body strength, but seem to fall in the same boat as I do, lacking a little in lower body strength. Keep up the good work.

MonStar
05-16-2002, 05:40 PM
rookiebldr-
Yeah man I am the same way with my skull crushers. On incline skull crushers my strength is way way up vs. lying ext. I can handle like 125-135 lbs. on incline skulls vs. like 115-120 lbs. on regular skulls. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
05-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Cbates-
Welcome to my journal. Thanks for the complements on the journal, I'm learning from some of the people here like MonStar, Sebi, Blood&Iron just to name a few who have detailed journals.

Thanks also for the kind words on the upper body strength :redface: In comparison to lower body it is better since my legs strength really sucks badly but that's not saying much. I'm working on all of it and someday... Your welcome to peep and offer advice as you see fit.

MonStar-
Thats good to hear on the inclines. I will be attempting to load up the weight higher on the next outing. That will be sweet to use the 80lb BB. My tris are feeling it today from yesterday's workout. Still somewhat surprised since I didn't think I had hit them that hard. I'm liking this routine change overall. It was definitely time for a change.

MonStar
05-16-2002, 08:00 PM
rookiebldr-
Good luck tomorrow going for the 80 lbs. BB. My gym doesnt have preloaded BBs. Kinda annoying but I cant imagine it any other way. Anyway I am looking forward to the 420 lbs. squats at the end of my first 6-week HST cycle. Along with 415 lbs. rack pulls (which Ill probably exceed). Should be some fun I think.. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
05-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Oops, my next outing for arms should be next week. I'm still doing a 3 day split once a week. I might try a the HST next routine change and go for full body 3 days a week. I've never done a full body routine yet. Your squats are impressive. Your doing 320 for 15, while I'm at 120 (200 less) for barely 20. Looks like your upper and lower body strength is more even.

MonStar
05-16-2002, 08:19 PM
Yeah I dont know man I mean I guess I am pretty proportional. Since the past few months that I joined the YMCA and I have been getting into squats again I feel like my squat strength has really been picking up big time. I can easily see myself getting 4 plates on each side at the end of this HST cycle. Hopefully Ill get 415 or more for a 5RM. Hehe that would be so impressive in my eyes!! Anyway bro yeah give HST a shot. I recommend it 100%.

MS

rookiebldr
05-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Saturday, May 18, 2002

Soreness: Still feeling the tris a bit on the stretch.

Cardio:
Not very likely for at least another week.

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal
M3:
M4:
M5:
M6:

Training: Chest and Back - 70 mins

Yep, I'm go to like this routine for next little while. Really enjoyed most of the exercises. I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the amount of weight I need to use to get the 9 reps, form is a bit better too with the lower weight.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 9 (!), 8 (!) :)

Warmed up with 40s and felt really good on them, so I decided to hit the 60s for the real set. Looking forward to these progressing. On the warm-up, my right forearm was giving me some grief, sharp pain, not intense at all but there on the concentric part of the lift. Did not notice it when I switched to the working set. Not sure where this came from, so I hope it doesn't come back.

Close Grip Chins: -30 x 10, 9

Ah, back to the Icarian machine. The mechanism on this machine is a lot smoother and just feels so much better. Could be why I pulled 10 reps at -30. I can finally feel these come along. My goal is to get 10 reps at bw before I switch routines again. (I've also started to test this when my daughter and I go the park.)

Dumbbell flies: 35 x 10, 10

No improvement yet, I think I still need to work a bit more on the form. Likely bending my arms at the elbows too much.

Deadlifts: 205 x 8, 8

That's better. I was still hoping to get 10 reps out of this at this weight. I need to figure out what part is holding me back, could be grip, legs or back or form, or maybe all of them.

Decline Dumbbell Presses: 55 x 10, 5 :)

Chest is really being work here. First set felt really strong and I thought I was ready for the second set. Oops, could only get 5 reps in.

Padded T-Bar Rows (reverse grip): 70 x10, 75 x 9 :)

This felt like 9 solid reps. Yea, need to push myself to move up on these. Solid form, right up to the pad.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 8, 8

Just felt that I wasn't going to be done if I didn't to some specific shrug exercise. Well, I was a little disappointed in the reps on these, ROM was good though.

Overall Comments

Back felt much better this week vs last week.

I'm off travelling to the U.S. again next week. So Monday will be a travel day so no work out and I'm not sure with my schedule, that I'll be able to workout at. Maybe arms on Thrusday when I get back. Legs get missed once again. :(

On the up side, it's time to get some supps that I can't get here in Canada.

rookiebldr
05-20-2002, 09:34 AM
I wonder how long the board will stay up this time. Anyway, yesterday was a rest day, little low on calories.

Found out I've miss calculated on the flax. I've been taking twice as much as I thought!! No wonder I'm I'm not losing as much.

Weight: ~166

MonStar
05-20-2002, 11:42 AM
rookiebldr-
Yeah man seriously. WBB is never up these days really starting to tick me off. It wouldnt but since I keep a detailed journal on here like you do it makes it kind of annoying ya know? Anyway..

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 9 (!), 8 (!)

Awesome strength here bro. Looking good as usual. Keep up the good work - are you going to end up starting HST anytime soon? ;);)

MS

Accipiter
05-20-2002, 12:36 PM
good job buddy! good progress. keep it up!

rookiebldr
05-20-2002, 11:20 PM
MonStar-
The site hasn't really been a problem, this was the first time since I started my journal, but hey you've been at this a little longer than I.

I plan on doing a round of HST. I think I'd like to run this current routine for 7 more weeks, get cut a lot more and then try the HST next. I'll be ready to bulk then and I'd like to try HST as a bulking routine. Or since my arms really need help, Chris' arm routine is starting to look really good as well. I really would like to get my body fat down :rolleyes: (maybe 10 - 15 lbs or 5% to 7%) enough to give myself room on the next increase. I'm hoping this time with the help of my friends here, :help: I'll be able to do a bulking routine without increasing my fat as much. :cry: I'm back down to a sub 36" waist and that's as big as I would like it to get on the next bulk. ;) ;)

Accipiter-
Thanks man for peeking in and noticing. I've got a ways to go to hit your DB presses (85 for 6), but I'm working on it. No more pyramids for me. :thumbup:

MonStar
05-21-2002, 07:48 AM
rookiebldr-
Yeah thats cool man keep it up! Yeah I would try and get pretty lean first before you start bulking. That way youre not adding to the fat that you already want to lose ya know? A few pounds of fat is very common in a bulking cycle. I dont know you might be surprised with HST though.

Many people following HST are losing fat and eating like crazy! Thats what everyone seems to think is so amazing about HST. I am eating around 11 x my bodyweight everyday and refeeding twice a week on low-fat foods and my bodyweight is dropping slow and steady and my abs etc. are really tightening up.

So everything in my HST experience is great. I mean I dont really know what else I could ask for. Strength is looking good. Some of my estimated 15RMs actually came out higher which was really amazing because of how high they were to begin with. I had a few people doubt me saying I couldnt get 330 lbs. squats for 15. So I got 340 lbs. squats for 15 instead. ;);)

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep it posted in your journal like always. Your strength gains on this routine are looking pretty good though. So you might want to stick with this for a little while.

MS

rookiebldr
05-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Sleep: 5 hours :(
Soreness: nada

Cardio:
Not very likely until I get back to Canada.

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/o Milk :(, bagel, fruit
M2: Protein Bar, fruit, little sticky buns :)
M3: Sub, brownie, salad :)
M4: Protein Bar
M5: Egg Rolls, Warm Mushroom Salad, Crab cakes with Dijon Sauce, Cheesecake, scotch & wine :) :)
M6: beer
weight: ~???.?

Overall Comments

Once again I'm in meetings all day. Meals supplied by the company so who knows what's on the agenda for tonight. Subs and brownies can't be all that bad. ;) No need to calculate the cals, they are going to be high this week.

Hopefully, I can spare some time to do a little shopping, I think it's time to try some 1-ad or 1-test for my next bulking cycle.

Orange357
05-21-2002, 07:08 PM
mmm..brownies....

MonStar
05-22-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
M2: Protein Bar, fruit, little sticky buns :)
M3: Sub, brownie, salad :)
M5: Egg Rolls, Warm Mushroom Salad, Crab cakes with Dijon Sauce, Cheesecake, scotch & wine :) :)
M6: beer

tuttuttuttut Haha thats a shame bro. Egg rolls and cheesecake? Meal 6, beer? Jeez. Cheat much?

MS

rookiebldr
05-22-2002, 08:43 PM
Monstar-
Cheating just a little. Anyway did better today. I'll post the diet in bit. But this sitting in a meeting all day, bored out of my mind, tired and not being able to workout is driving me nuts. Meeting goes from 7:30 until 6:00, then onto dinner with the group until 8:30. I'll just pretend that it's one of your high fat re-feeds that's lasting a few days, not that your doing that anymore. :)

Actually, I don't feel like I've gained any weight. Not sure how I couldn't but I get up in the morning and I'm not feeling fatter. I'll likely regret it when I get back to Canada.

rookiebldr
05-22-2002, 10:12 PM
Orange,
mmm.... Lots of chocolate and nuts.

rookiebldr
05-22-2002, 10:19 PM
Wednesday, May 22, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours :(

Cardio:

M2: Protein Bar,
M3: salad, crab cake, sliced chicken :)
M4: oops cookie tuttut, Protein Bar
M5: vegies, salad, grilled chicken, steak pieces.
M6: Protein Shake w/o Milk

Overall Comments

sleepy. Not even the ephedrine and caffeine is helping. ;) ;)

MonStar
05-24-2002, 05:37 AM
Monstar-
Actually, I don't feel like I've gained any weight. Not sure how I couldn't but I get up in the morning and I'm not feeling fatter. I'll likely regret it when I get back to Canada.

Thats good. I cheated last night. I am so dissapointed in myself. this is my first cheat day though in something like 15-16 days which is good. I was having my low-fat refeeds which should have elimated cheating. This sh!t wont happen again. WILL NOT happen again. I still cant believe I did that dumb sh!t. I feel so fat today. :mad::mad:

MS

rookiebldr
05-24-2002, 08:07 AM
MS-
Sometimes you get derailed, it's ok. I've got a plan that I was hoping would get me to 160 by mid-to-late June. This week won't help but it won't do that much damage either. May put me off be a week. Since I'm not going to compete, I can wait an extra week and try again. Not the best additude if I do it every week, but once every 2-3 months may not be so bad. :cool: :cool:

rookiebldr
05-24-2002, 08:23 AM
Thrusday, May 23, 2002

Sleep: 6 hours :(

Cardio:

M2: Protein Bar,
M3: Apple,
M4: Fries, Grill Chicken
M5: Protein bar
M6: Popcorn (lite), Grilled Salmon, Cottage Cheese

Training: Missed again
Overall Comments

Got in late last night, saw the leftover popcorn. I had missed dinner and had a late lunch - I was so hungry. Then had some leftover salmon and cottage cheese. Time for bed.

rookiebldr
05-24-2002, 08:26 AM
Well, I've come down with something. I'm sick. :cry: I'll be visiting the doctor at noon and see what he has to say.

My daughter has been off school all week with the flu and sounds like this is the start of the same thing she had. While I'm there, I think I will get the doctor to check out my elbow joints :( as well.

rookiebldr
05-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Friday, May 24, 2002

Sleep: 8 hours :(
Soreness: lower back, traps.

Cardio:
none

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w Milk :), oatmeal
M2: Ham, bread, yogurt
M3: pear, protein bar
M4: Grilled Chicken, sweet potatoe, vegies.
M5: Cottage Cheese

Training: rest day
Overall Comments

Saw the doctor today. Good news I'm not sick. Bad news, I've strained my back. Good news, I've got drugs now, bad news he told me stop lifting as heavy.

Actually, not sure how I hurt my lower back, it seem to be getting better through out the day prior to taking the drugs, so I will take a few extra days off and then get back into this. As for my elbows, they have been a bit painfull at the inside joint. He suspect that it was the tendon and suggested that I ease up on the weight and perform a few more reps. Since that is the plan at the moment anyway, I am hopefull that the tendons will grow enough to handle the heavier weights.

Done for today.

MonStar
05-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Overall Comments

Saw the doctor today. Good news I'm not sick. Bad news, I've strained my back. Good news, I've got drugs now, bad news he told me stop lifting as heavy.

Sucks man. I would go crazy hearing this sh!t from a doctor. Good thing youre not sick thats always nice. Good luck bro! Seriously. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

rookiebldr
05-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey, I've been pushed to page 2. This will not do. :D :D

Thursday, May 29th, 2002

Anyway, diet's been back to normal lost a few more pounds, likely more than I should have. Couple more weeks to go until next bodyfat calculation.

I have not worked out since a week ago Saturday. Have decided to take break until this coming Saturday to give my body a rest and some re-coop time. I was hoping for some sleep, just not happening yet.

Back is fine again. Any pain went away by Sunday night not that there really was much to begin with. The pills really made me sleepy for two days, plus I had stopped taking my ephedrine and caffeine which cause me to crash as well. Likely got 14 hours sleep both days - naps included.

I will for the most part ignore the elbow pain since it does not occur when lifting and it's not really a problem yet during other times. If I move my reps up for the next few weeks to 10-15 range that should allow the tendons to get better or to see if there is some improvements. *need to re-read thread on tendonitis*

I'm feeling very small lately esp. as my bf decreases. I feel like my twigs for arms are imitating the "Incredible Shrinking Man" What little size they had are disappearing. Same goes for my unimpressive shoulders and traps which I was just begining to think were growing. Oh, well, I'll continue to follow my plan for another month.

That's it for now.

rookiebldr
05-29-2002, 10:08 PM

Sucks man. I would go crazy hearing this sh!t from a doctor. Good thing youre not sick thats always nice. Good luck bro! Seriously. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

yep which is why I hadn't gone to him before about my elbows. I pretty much expected his response.

p.s. I read your journal today, I'll post later, but :thumbup: and get/keep positive bro.

JT

Orange357
05-30-2002, 02:22 PM
good luck and heal up

rookiebldr
05-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks. I'm feeling better every day and f*ck the elbows. Did some cardio today to prime the pump.

rookiebldr
05-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Thursday, May 30, 2002

Week 2 of rest For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours :)

Cardio:
20 mins rowing - 4230 km
10 mins swimming laps

Diet:
not bad, missed mid-morning snack, so calories are a bit low.
weight: ~164.5

Overall Comments

good day overall.

MonStar
05-31-2002, 08:59 AM
Diet:
not bad, missed mid morning snake, so calories are a bit low.

Damn bro it took me a few minutes to figure out what the f*ck you were saying, just realized it was a typo! Hehe. :p:p

I am all out of it thinking in my head, "Mid-morning snake? Maybe he works at a zoo. Or a pet store." Hehe stupid me.

MS

rookiebldr
05-31-2002, 10:21 AM

Damn bro it took me a few minutes to figure out what the f*ck you were saying, just realized it was a typo! Hehe. :p:p

I am all out of it thinking in my head, "Mid-morning snake? Maybe he works at a zoo. Or a pet store." Hehe stupid me.

MS

What are you talking about a typo. Didn't you know that snakes are good for you. Lots of protein and a little bit of fat :D :D On reflection, I mistyped swimming as well.

Glad to see your still reading even when there's not much going on. Have figured out my maxes and now working on what routine I should go with. :) :)

rookiebldr
06-01-2002, 07:42 AM
Friday, May 31, 2002

Week 2 of rest For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the links.

Sleep: 6 hours :rolleyes:

Cardio:
none

Diet:
not bad, got all my meals in, cheated with some microwaved popcorn in the evening and a few popsicles *oh how I love these*
weight: ~164.0

Overall Comments

Just too busy trying to plan for my parents upcoming wedding anniversary. Too much running around to various stores and trying to make peace with my bros.

Sebi
06-01-2002, 09:01 AM
time to get some proper sleep bro?

heathj
06-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Sleep seems fine to me :)

rookiebldr
06-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Sebi-
Your right, my sleep is a bit off. I'd like to try to up it so that I would average 7 hours and set a mininum of 6 every night. It seems that I'm up late for various reasons and then work interferes. They seem to like it better when I make an appearance sometime during the morning.

I did manage to get 7 hours Friday and 10.5 hours last night. Yea :) :)

Heathj-
Thanks for the support. There seems to be lots of times that I'm getting only 4 to 5 hours and if I remember correctly, your body does need longer to grow and repair. I think the ephedrine/caffeine is helping me function better during the day so that I can live off of less sleep.

heathj
06-02-2002, 09:07 PM
I get between 5-7 on weekdays...and anywhere from 3-10 on weekends.

rookiebldr
06-02-2002, 09:22 PM
Heathj,
I noticed your weekend was a bit low, just figured it was the company and partying. I think I've always been on the low side, maybe that's why my lifts are so poor. Mind you, it doesn't seem to have held you back - 375 x 5 for squats :thumbup:.

rookiebldr
06-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Saturday, June 1, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness:

Cardio:
nada.

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
M2: Post workout Protein Shake 686cal (60p, 4f, 101c)
M3: Protein Bar
M5: Steak, sweet potato, broccoli, icecream and Strawberries
M6:Cottage Cheese, Protein Shake w/ Milk and Flax

Too lazy to detail out cals.
weight: ~167.0 Feeling a bit bloated (alright fat) today

Training: Chest and Back - 60 mins

What a surprise. This was suspose to be the start of HST for me. After calc my RM's and trying to work out my exercises and cycles, I finally gave up and decided to go back and work this routine for a little bit longer. Frankly, I just wasn't comfortable yet with this HST stuff, I haven't read enough about the weights to use and the increments for each workout. Wasn't fun trying to make sure the weights stayed in positive range when I am using such piddly weights. On top of that, I thought I'd have a chance to do more work on it last night (I procrastinate something terrible) and didn't. I tried this morning doing a little bit more on it and found that I just wasn't ready. Just easier to use my current routine. I was desperate to go back into the gym.

So with that in mind, this is WBB #2's routine. I have been off for about two weeks so I was sure that my lifts might be a bit lack luster. Yep, I wasn't disappointed.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 7, 55 x 5 :(

Felt good just a little weak, trouble getting to my previous PB. However, this was real slow with nice ROM and good form. Very hard.

Close Grip Chins: -30 x 9, 10 :(

Well, this was really tough. Still not enough energy. Maybe I didn't take my ephedrine earlier enough.

Dumbbell flies: 30 x 10, 9

Well, by now my body was telling me to drop the weight since I'm not going to make it into the 9-11 rep. range if I continue to use the weights I had at my last session. Form was much better with the lower weight, even if the ego wasn't.

Deadlifts: 205 x 8, 6 :)

That's better. I was determined not to go back below 200. So this is the same as last time out.

Decline Dumbbell Presses: 55 x 8, 50 x 5 :(

What can I say, 55 last time but for 10 reps. This time only 8. Oh well, form was good and moderately slow reps.

Padded T-Bar Rows (reverse grip): 70 x 8, 65 x 7 :(

Down a bit from 2 weeks ago. Seems to be the story of the day.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 8, 10 :)

Same as last time, really pushed myself to get this with a solid shrug at the top. I think I maybe holding the bar a bit too long after the drop and before the next raise. Seems more like 2 seconds up, 1 hold and squeeze and then 1 sec drop with a 1 sec hold at the bottom before raising the bar up again.
Overall Comments

Overall a good workout after being off. Felt really good to back in the gym, neither my back or my elbows gave me any trouble while lifting. I got a later start in the morning, but the weight area was pretty empty this morning. If this keeps up Sat. mornings are going to be great.

rookiebldr
06-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Monday, June 3, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 5 hours :)

Soreness: chest and traps.

Cardio: Tuesday?

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & flax, Oatmeal M2: Protein Bar
M3: Roast beef on rye, salad with oil & vinager
M4: apple, wine
M5: tuna, pasta, cheese sauce
M6:Protein Shake

Training: Legs - 40 mins

Well I pulled the same thing that I did last time that I did this routine. Was tired, drank a protein shake just before working out and took my ephedrine. After the squats, leg press and extensions I felt nauseated and chucked cookies. Yuck! I didn't continue, just went home.

Smith Back Squats: 115 x 20 :)

Warmed up first with lighter weight (3 sets). I had to pause at rep 16, 18 and 20 to squeeze out the 20 reps. More exhausted then anything.

Leg Press: 250 x 20 :)

I like getting back to doing these. Really hits my quads and glutes. This was tough but I think I can put more weight on. Did need to pause a bit on the last 2 reps.

Leg Extensions: 90 x 15 :(

Weaker here, not a good sign. I'm toast.
Overall Comments

I'll do hams and calves today.

rookiebldr
06-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Monday, June 3, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours

Soreness: legs.

Cardio::)
15 mins - rowing - 3140km

M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk, Yogurt
M5: pasta, cheese sauce
M6: cheat sh*t
weight: ~165.0

Training: Legs - 30 mins

Just needed to finish up from last night.

Naut. Hamstring Curls: 100 x 8, 100 x 4 D 80 x 8 :)

This was harder than I expected at this weight. Started to feel this in my lower back on the second set, so I stopped and lower the weight to get better form.

DB SLDL: 80 x 20

Maxed out this gym for db's and their pre-made BB only go to 75lbs.

Single Leg Calf Raises: 40 x 30

They need bigger weights.
Overall Comments

Will go to bed early for a change. At least my hams go a bit of a workout.

MonStar
06-04-2002, 10:19 PM
rookiebldr-
Why just hamstrings and calves today? :confused::confused:

MS

rookiebldr
06-04-2002, 10:37 PM
rookiebldr-
Why just hamstrings and calves today? :confused::confused:

MS

Thanks for checking in on me. :cool: Several of reasons, didn't finish my leg workout yesterday, limited time, trying to do fit some cardio in after the workout (rowing) and did the workout at my company gym so the equipment is a bit lacking. I should've added some ab work but ran out of time.

JT

MonStar
06-04-2002, 10:43 PM

Thanks for checking in on me. :cool: Several of reasons, didn't finish my leg workout yesterday, limited time, trying to do fit some cardio in after the workout (rowing) and did the workout at my company gym so the equipment is a bit lacking. I should've added some ab work but ran out of time.

JT

Oh okay man yeah I was wondering what the heck was going on. Hehe I was completely confused. So whatsup man are you starting HST or what? :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
06-05-2002, 11:49 PM
No HST at the moment. I need to spend more time researching this routine, the weight increments etc. I procrastinated too long in getting a better understanding of what I needed to do so just when I was going to switch, I decided not to.

Although there seems to a fair number of people doing this HST routine while they are cutting, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better while I was bulking.

My current routine is simple and easy. Did arms and shoulders today and I love arm and shoulder day.

:) :)

JohnnyAutoParts
06-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Did arms and shoulders today and I love arm and shoulder day.

:) :)

I noticed a lot of successful people do arms & shoulders on the same day like yourself. However, I still can't convince myself to do it. It seems like I'm squeezing too much into one workout...even though they are all small muscles. I always hit all 3 shoulder heads, and I usually hit all 3 tricep heads---there's 6 exercises right there. And that's not even counting biceps, which are my weakest aspect so I can't go easy on them.....and I also do traps with shoulders. What is your arm/shoulder day like? How do you include everything? Because I need a new routine and I am looking for ideas.

MonStar
06-06-2002, 08:49 AM
Although there seems to a fair number of people doing this HST routine while they are cutting, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better while I was bulking.

From everything that I have read about HST it seems like bulking up with HST would be a good idea because your fat-gain would probably be minimal. Seems like HST really spikes your metabolism which is always a good thing.

Most things that I have read say that "I was eating like crazy and my definition improved." I am sure that this is due to the squats and all that 3x per week. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
06-06-2002, 10:50 AM
Wednesday, June 5, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

Sleep: 5 hours :(

Soreness: quads / hams a little sore.

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w / flax, Oatmeal w/raisins - 620 cals (61p, 20f, 46c)
M2: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
M3: Tuna /w mayo on Whole Wheat, milk - 432 cals (35p, 16f, 36c)
M4: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
M5: Grilled Chicken, Baked Sweet Potato - 461 cals (56p, 6f, 42c)
M6:Gatorade, Post Workout Shake - 560 cals (47p, 3f, 85c)

Total: 2659 cals (241 protein 36%, 56 fat 18% , 292 carbs 43%)

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 60 mins
Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Hammer Strength ISO Shoulder Press: 60 x 11, 9.5, 7.5 :)

The bench area seem to be a bit busy tonight, so instead of doing the superset with OH Presses, Lateral and Front Raises, I decided to concentrate on the shoulder press first and I can do the standing exercises anywhere. Warmed up with two previous sets and felt good about these sets. Again, I've been off two weeks so I expected to be a little weaker here. A little high in the rep scheme so I'll add weight next week.

Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 8, 8, 7
Dumbell Front Raises: 20 x 8, 8, 6

These two exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. Good sets, nice range maybe a need to squeeze a bit more on the last few reps since I likely didn't get the full top end squeeze. Also, the last rep had a bit too much swing from the body to get the final raise.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 10 (!), 8 :)

I warmed up my tri with one easy set with 50 lb bar. The first work set was easy, found the second to be tougher to get the 8 reps. Still more than satisfied. I noticed that we have a new curly bar in the gym that I can add weights on. I should be able to increase the weight now in 5lb increments instead of using the preset bars. Maybe I'll try for 75lbs next week.

Alternating Incline Dumbell Curls: 25 x 10, 5

Same as last time. Although I think my form was much better and they really felt like 10 good solid reps.

Tricep Dips: BW x 9, 7 :)

Well, I might have to invest in a belt for the weighted dips - yea.

Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 6

Solid curls, good form. Just could not get the arm to move up after doing 6 reps.

Reverse Barbell Curls: 50 x 7, 4

Just felt like adding these in to finish off the set.

Overall Comments

Great day. Workout was fun, I was very much energized though it, didn't really want to stop but knew it was time to go home. Diet was a bit high but at least I'm back to only quality foods.

MonStar
06-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Incline Skulls: 70 x 10 (!), 8 :)

I warmed up my tri with one easy set with 50 lb bar. The first work set was easy, found the second to be tougher to get the 8 reps. Still more than satisfied. I noticed that we have a new curly bar in the gym that I can add weights on. I should be able to increase the weight now in 5lb increments instead of using the preset bars. Maybe I'll try for 75lbs next week.

Nice strength here man.

Good solid increase, good luck with 75 lbs. next week. :):)

MS

rookiebldr
06-06-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyAutoParts
I noticed a lot of successful people do arms & shoulders on the same day like yourself.

I certainly hope this brings some success to my arms and shoulders. But I do like the pump of getting my whole upper body going since some of the movements are include chest and back to a minor degree.

However, I still can't convince myself to do it. It seems like I'm squeezing too much into one workout...even though they are all small muscles. I always hit all 3 shoulder heads, and I usually hit all 3 tricep heads---there's 6 exercises right there. And that's not even counting biceps, which are my weakest aspect so I can't go easy on them.....

I'm currently on a low volume routine and I'm not specifically addressing the rear delts.

...and I also do traps with shoulders. What is your arm/shoulder day like? How do you include everything? Because I need a new routine and I am looking for ideas.

I address my traps on back day. The routine I'm using is the Wannabebig routine #2. Over the last year I was doing some 3 and 4 days per week routines and I've also done a more traditional push/leg/pull with shoulders on leg day. I started this March performing WBB #1, with it's Chest/Back, Legs and Shoulders/Arms split. Three days a week is working out much better for me personally, it is lower volume, thus I can get in and out in a hour or less. It doesn't hit every muscle group in isolation but the compound movements tend to hit all of them pretty good.

Another thing that I liked about these routines are that the splits were new to me and my body. They are so different than what had had been doing that I believe my body responded better because of the change. I also added some new exercises as well, like deads, SLDL and dips which I hadn't done before. This routine really seemed to help out my shoulders, traps and chest since shoulders and chest are given priority. I've notice an improvement in these areas (however cutting helps too). I didn't notice as much growth in my back or my twiggy arms. :cry: But I'll focus on those area with a different routine. I'll post in a separate note my current routine, but you can see above what I did yesterday.

Thanks for popping in, suggestions are always welcome but not necessarily taken. :cool: :cool:

rookiebldr
06-06-2002, 11:18 AM

From everything that I have read about HST it seems like bulking up with HST would be a good idea because your fat-gain would probably be minimal. Seems like HST really spikes your metabolism which is always a good thing.

Most things that I have read say that "I was eating like crazy and my definition improved." I am sure that this is due to the squats and all that 3x per week. :cool::cool:

MS

Thats really good to hear. :) :) Like I mentioned before, I need to do more research and it helps seeing your comments above. Esp. since I you've been doing alot more reading on this topic than I.

:cool: :cool:

rookiebldr
06-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Thursday, June 6, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

Soreness: arms a little & I might have done something to my shoulder today.

Cardio::)
20 mins - rowing - 4410km
M3: Tuna on whole wheat & mayo, Portugese soup
M5: pasta w / cheese sauce & can of tuna
M6: Cottage cheese

Training: Rest day

Overall Comments

Good day, diet was fairly good. I was up way too late last night and missed getting up early enough for a work. I'm not sure what I did to my rear left delt (always seems to the left delt) but it is a bit sore at the moment and not in a good way. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

rookiebldr
06-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Saturday, June 8, 2002

Week 3 of WBB #II. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 8 hours

Soreness:

Cardio:
nada.

M3: Protein Bar
M4: cottage cheese, slice of whole wheat bread, apple
M5: Steak, rice, french beans, Strawberries
M6:Cottage Cheese, ?

I think that was what I had.
weight: can't remember

Felt tired again this morning and not quite energized to start the workout. Maybe I didn't sleep all that well knowing that WBB was done and I couldn't get my morning fix. :cry:

Incline Dumbbell Press: 50 x 9, 8 :(

Well, last week I wasn't quite in the 9 to 11 rep range so thought I would lower the weight and see if I could at least get above 10. Nope - WTF.

Padded T-Bar Rows (reverse grip): 80 x 10,10 :)

The assisted Chinning bar was being used so I went with the ros out of sequence. This time I was fresh so I upped the weight and got 10 reps out of it. Largely due to this being up first instead of after deads. (IMO)

Dumbbell flies: 30 x 10, 9

Same as last week.

Close Grip Chins: -30 x 10, 8 :)

One more rep than last week and already the 4th exercise.

Flat Dumbbell Presses: 60 x 7, 55 x 6

It's a good thing you can't isolate different parts of the chest muscle :rolleyes: So since the decline bench was out of commission, I subsituted these for what should have been decline dumbbell presses.

Deadlifts: 195 x 8, 5 :P

WTF. Down 10 lbs from previous week and on the second set I couldn't get the grip right. Started losing the hold after 4 reps and hung in until the 5 rep. Felt funny going into the second set. Back below 200 - I am weak!!

Kneeling Dumbbell Shrugs: 75 x 12, 80 x 10 :)

I haven't done these in a while so I can't remember what I did the last time and I'm too lazy to go look it up. At lease I was able to hang onto the 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps. Yea.
Overall Comments

Diet was pretty good overall. Working on my tan.

rookiebldr
06-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Monday, June 10, 2002

Week 3 of WBB #II.

Sleep: 6 hours

Soreness: nothing

Diet:M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & flax, Oatmeal w/ Raisins
M2: Protein Bar
M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk
M5: Chicken, rice, brocolli, Basken & Robbins Pinapple Sherbet (only 136 cals per scoop).
M6: Post Workout Shake
weight: ~165.0

Training: Legs - 50 mins Ok, I managed to get through this workout just great. Does that mean I didn't push myself hard enough. I felt much better going into this than my previous two outings for legs on this routine. I decided not to drink a protein drink just prior to the workout and I didn't take my EC either. I did drink a gatorade just before the trip to the gym - hopefully to give my some energy.

Smith Leg Squat: 3 wup sets, 115 x 22 :)

Only one pause at 15 plus I squeezed out an extra two sets. I going up next week on this.

45 degree Leg Press: 260 x 21(!) :)

This felt much better. I upped the weight by 10 lbs and this felt really easy to push until rep 15, then a tougher until 19, then two more reps. Really good form. Felt great after this set.

Seated Leg Extension: 105 x 18 (!) :)

Yea, no nausea. And this felt really good upping the weight and get a good 18 reps out. Need to up this next week as well.

Seated Hamstring Curls: 120 x 11, 10 :)

Two solid sets.

Standing Calf Raises: 200 x 25, 18
Seated Calf Raises: 70 x 28, 14

I alternated these two exercises. This was not a superset since I waited between each exercise, however this really killed my calves.
Overall Comments

Great workout. Diet is low but at least now I may be losing a bit more weight. Will need to get my BF checked this week. Hard to believe that it is time again.

rookiebldr
06-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Week 3 of rest For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours :)
Soreness: nope - I was hoping for some in my legs but I guess next week's workout will need to be more intense.

Cardio: Nothing here today either.

Diet:
M1: Protein shake w/ milk & flax, oatmeal w/ raisins 509 cals (60g P, 13g F, 35g C)
M2: Premier Protein Bar 281 cals (30g P, 8g F, 24g C)
M3: Cottage Cheese, PB on white bread, yogurt 485 cals (39g P, 15g F, 53g C)
M4: Yogurt 174 cals (6g P, 4g F, 30g C)
M5: Pasta with trout & sundried Pesto 375 cals (32g P, 8g F, 42g C)
M6: Cottage Cheese, Milk 246 cals (36g P, 3g F, 20g C)

Totals: 2070 Cals (203g P 39%, 50g F 21%, 204g C 40%)

I was home most of the day and was not in my regular routine for meals. Low on meal 4 thus total cals came in 100-150 below what I had been doing. This may be good, since I'm loosing a bit more weight staying around 2000-2100.
weight: ~164.0 :)

Overall Comments

Not a bad day, missed my cardio workout since I didn't get into work. I had planned to stay home and get some work done here as well as get my car fixed. You see, it would appear that our drivers here in beautiful Ontario, love to deposit large plastic covers (about as wide as my hood to my car and half as long) in the middle of our expressways. Unfortunately, some trucks roll over them while they are trying to avoid said plastic covers. Sometimes these trucks do a very good job of catching a small piece of the covers, just enough it would appear, to cause them to take flight. These covers then fly like the wind through the air and land on my car. Smash goes the windshield and scrap goes the paint. :(

Oh well, the joys of owning a car.

MonStar
06-12-2002, 12:22 AM
45 degree Leg Press: 260 x 21(!) :)

This felt much better. I upped the weight by 10 lbs and this felt really easy to push until rep 15, then a tougher until 19, then two more reps. Really good form. Felt great after this set.

Seated Leg Extension: 105 x 18 (!) :)

Yea, no nausea. And this felt really good upping the weight and get a good 18 reps out. Need to up this next week as well.

Looking good man nice strength increases here bro. Really impressive. Keep up the hard work. 18 reps on the leg extensions huh? Why so many? Ever considered increasing the weight and going for lower reps? :):)

MS

rookiebldr
06-12-2002, 08:42 AM

Looking good man nice strength increases here bro. Really impressive. Keep up the hard work. 18 reps on the leg extensions huh? Why so many? Ever considered increasing the weight and going for lower reps? :):)

MS

LOL, I just posted in your journal about the lower reps, sort of asking the same question in reverse. Now I see you've posted in mine asking about the high reps.

Yes your right, I wasn't expecting to go that high. I felt so much better this time out than my last two leg days and I had increased the weight a little over the last time to compensate. However, not enough. :rolleyes: (*and I sometimes wonder why I don't progress -duh :( *)

My current routine for legs looks like this:

Quads/glutes:
..............Squat 1 set x 20 reps
........Leg Press 1 set x 20 reps
Leg Extensions 1 set x 15 reps

hams:
..........Leg curls 2 sets x 10 reps.

Calves:
Standing Calf Raises 1 set x 25 reps
...Seated Calf Raises 1 set x 25 reps

This current routine is more of a higher rep routine to offset the lower rep routine that I was doing previously. I would like to try and get the exercises so that the max I do is the reps indicated above. So I will definitely be increasing the weights next week.
My legs haven't even been sore these past two days - of course not that is any indication that my workout was poor. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. :cool: :cool:

Orange357
06-12-2002, 08:47 AM
LArge plastic covers on the express way?! LMAO!

Anyhoo looks like youve been doing well.

MonStar
06-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Nah rookiebldr, that looks good.

Higher reps I think work pretty well for your legs for hypertrophy reasons. I mean I have never really wanted to pack on a LOT of size to my legs believe it or not. A lot of guys think that my thighs are tiny (24") but I dont think theyre out of proportion at all. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
06-13-2002, 02:35 PM
Orange357-
Yea, it was pretty funny. I've replaced the windshield and I am waiting for a quote back on the rest of the car - with my luck, I won't get the car repainted by the insurance company. Things are looking better, although, last night's shoulder presses were duds. More to come on that.

Monstar-
Well, lets see if the higher reps do anything. I'll need to keep consistent for a some time to see this improvement. The last 3-weeks have not been too consistent so it's really been a waste of a month. 24" legs, eh. I'm at 22" and I hope it I'll be satisfied with 24 when and if I reach that size - mind you, you have lower bf than I. :cry:

BTW, I had my body fat tested today. Maybe I should look at doing it less often since depression always sets in after I have it done. The upside, I lost weight and some fat, downside I also lost and some f*ckn muscle. What the f*ck do I need to do to create muscle. :mad: :mad:

rookiebldr
06-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Week 3 of WBB #II.

Sleep: 6 hours :(

Soreness: nope, nothing here

Cardio: none - missed it yesterday

Diet:

Seemed like a lot of protein bars today. I was home in the morning and missed eating properly for lunch.

M1: Protein Shake w / flax, Oatmeal w/raisins - 620 cals (61p, 20f, 46c)
M2: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
M3: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
M4: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
M5: Crabby Joe's Thai Salmon, salad w/basmic vinagrette & chicken breast - 483 cals (75p, 16f, 6c)
M6: Gatorade, Post Workout Shake - 560 cals (47p, 3f, 85c)

Total: 2542 cals (246 protein 39%, 54 fat 18% , 260 carbs 41%)
weight: 165.0

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 55 mins
Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Seated Shoulder Press: 45 x 3, 40 x 6, 4 :(
Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 4, 15 x 6, 4
Dumbell Front Raises: 15 x 6, 6, 7

These three exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. I warmed up on the seated shoulder press with 25 x 6, 25 x 6, 40 x 6. The 40 for 6 seem not to difficult so I went for 50lb dumbells and couldn't even move it up for one rep. I had done 50 or reps on May 12 and since the 40's didn't seem all that bad, I went with the 50's. Nope no luck! Then you see the weak lifts above. Not a good day for shoulders.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 9, 10 :)

No real increases since last week but nice sets never the less.

Alternating Seated Dumbell Curls: 30 x 10, 6 :)

Curls felt better this time. Good form and no back movement. However, these were suppose to be inclined instead up upright.

Tricep Dips: BW x 9, 7

Same as last time.

Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: 30 x 9, 7 D 25 x 6 D 20 x 7

Again nice solid curls, good form. Finished off with a dropped set .
Overall Comments

Not a good shoulder workout but good arm day.

On the car front, sounds like it's ready (they left a message) so that means not sufficient damage to warant a new paint job.

rookiebldr
06-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Thrusday, June 13, 2002

Week 3 of rest For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness: forearm - go figure

Cardio: Nothing here today either.

Diet: not bad - a little low.
weight: ~165.0 :)

Overall Comments

Not to much exciting. Just busy with work.

rookiebldr
06-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Friday, June 14, 2002

Soreness: Shoulders - hope it doesn't affect chest tomorrow.

Cardio: Nothing here today either - too busy at work.

Diet: good - but need to drink more water.

Overall Comments

none.

MonStar
06-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Soreness: Shoulders - hope it doesn't affect chest tomorrow.

This is why I dropped OH pressing bro. My front delts would be sore when I had to train my chest. I really think that it negatively effected my chest workouts and chest poundages ya know? Now my split looks like this.

1 - chest, tris + FRONT delts
2 - back, bis, forearms + REAR delts
3 - off
4 - quads, hams, calves
5 - traps, abs + SIDE delts
6 - off
7 - off
This way all 3 heads of my delts get hit just not all on one day ya know? I think that this is the best way to go. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

rookiebldr
06-15-2002, 11:43 AM
MonStar-

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbup: Keep them coming. It's good to see your new split as well all in one spot. I had been wondering what it was and I wasn't sure if you had updated your routine page. I may take your suggestion if my shoulder gives me too much grief.

OH pressing, for me tends to really give my shoulder a workout where I think my form is poorer on the laterial and front raises. I do like the HS ISO Shoulder Press machines, since I can get larger poundages that really stresses the delts and it's safer. Dumbell presses however, I feel work more stabilizer muscles which I also need work on.

The shoulder was sore in a good way, so not the rotator cuff (as before). I felt that I had actually stressed the muscles some. The split that I have now, along with the one before has really made a difference in my shoulder and chest - albeit a small difference. :rolleyes: As I continue to cut, I am hoping that they will be more noticable as they tie into my arm muscles and traps - I can actually start to see indentations between the various heads as well as on what I think is the medial head. Although small, I am hoping for the summer, that I will have some semblance of proportion once I loose about 2 inches around the waist. :)

As I read your earlier threads, you have well develop shoulders already and your priority will be on other areas that you want to focus on. My next priority will be on my pretty pathetic arms, but I want to wait until my bulking cycle when I'll add some andro to the bulking session and I am contempating doing Chris' arm routine - I laugh at being able to actually increase arm size by 1/2 an inch in a month. But it's worth a try.

Anyway all was well on my chest and back routine today. I was energized, pumped and ready for the workout. It was f*cking great in the gym and I finally felt that I was at full strength. My deads surprised the living sh*t out of me. I'll post the results later, since it's my b-day today and I got to go out.

MonStar
06-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Happy birthday rookiebldr! Take a day off from dieting, this is only once per year... :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
06-15-2002, 10:14 PM
Thanks MonStar, I did. scotch, lots of wine, port, carpaccio, swordfish, rice and creme brulee. All good stuff and full of protein. :cool: :cool:

Blood&Iron
06-15-2002, 10:24 PM
MonStar-

My next priority will be on my pretty pathetic arms, but I want to wait until my bulking cycle when I'll add some andro to the bulking session and I am contempating doing Chris' arm routine - I laugh at being able to actually increase arm size by 1/2 an inch in a month. But it's worth a try.

Join the club...

Or you could try my HST-Arnold inspired insanity...we'll have to see how it works for me. So far I'm really enjoying it; I've added 1/2 inch in two weeks, but it's probalby just increased glycogen/temporary sarcoplasmic growth and not 'real' muscle. Could always give Poliquin's One Day Arm Cure a try too. Most people will say it couldn't possibly work, but I actually added about 1/4" inch in a day to my arms(It's pretty un-fun, though.)

rookiebldr
06-15-2002, 10:56 PM
Blood&Iron-
I'll be watching your progress. I didn't think that you had been prioritizing you arms? So, if you have added a 1/2 inch in two weeks :eek: then maybe I'll give that a try. At this point, I'll take any growth as long as it doesn't go away, scaroplasmic or otherwise. (I can't believe that your glycogen levels were that low to show that increase - must be muscle :thumbup: ) Wait, you've been going to the gym twice a day - I guess you got to work hard to see results. :rolleyes:

1/4" in one day? ah ah. Must be the pump. I have strived for a year to put on an inch - well maybe strived is only in my mind since my technique has not yielded much results.

Ah f*ck, too many choices :bang: and I'm just too impatience.

JT.

P.S. thanks for checking in and offering some hope. :cool:

Blood&Iron
06-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Blood&Iron-
I'll be watching your progress. I didn't think that you had been prioritizing you arms? So, if you have added a 1/2 inch in two weeks :eek: then maybe I'll give that a try. At this point, I'll take any growth as long as it doesn't go away, scaroplasmic or otherwise. (I can't believe that your glycogen levels were that low to show that increase - must be muscle :thumbup: ) Wait, you've been going to the gym twice a day - I guess you got to work hard to see results. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the whole point of my routine is to bring my arms and shoulders up a little. FYI my routine could easily been adapted to once a day, though it'd still be six days a week. It's only twice a day on M-W-F. If you consolidated the chest/back and leg workouts into one, it'd work just as well. T-TH-F are shoulders/arms. Basically, this means I hit arms directly or indirectly every day. Since it's HST-based, thought, I'm not yet feeling drained or overtrained. It's fun, which for me was half the point I gave the routine a shot.

1/4" in one day? ah ah. Must be the pump. I have strived for a year to put on an inch - well maybe strived is only in my mind since my technique has not yielded much results.

That's what most people insist, but I was actually referring to long term growth. A lot of people have said they got nothing out of the routine, or that their arms even shrunk a little. 1/4" is just my personal result.

Ah f*ck, too many choices :bang: and I'm just too impatience.

JT.

P.S. thanks for checking in and offering some hope. :cool:
All of us bicep-challenged individuals have to stick together.

rookiebldr
06-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Saturday, June 15, 2002

Week 4 of WBB #II. For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Cardio: nada.

M3: Protein Bar, cottage cheese.
M4: lots of drinking and eating.
weight: 165

Felt pretty good going in and felt great after. Gave myself time to wake up this morning and digest some food.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 55 x 10.5(!), 6 :) :)

I was feeling pretty strong after two warm up sets so went to the 55's. Felt great, just couldn't get that last 1/2 rep up.

Close Grip Chins: -20 x 9(!), 6 :) :)

I do believe my loss of weight seems to be helping out on this one. Still I haven't lost 10 pounds since last week - only 3 since last month. The last rep on set 1 was really tough, could barely get my chin up. I can finally see bodyweight only chins coming soon.

Dumbbell flies: 35 x 9, 6 :)

Although not personal best yet, but these were definitely back up or near to that.

Deadlifts: [/color=red]215 x 10(!)[/color], 6 :) :)

Wow. I've had done 215 previously on the WBB #1 routine but never for 10 reps. I finally feel that I back on to increasing some weights. I wasn't as out of breath this time and my grip hung on.

Declined Dumbbell Presses: 55 x 12, 6 :)

The first set was way too easy. I miss judged and used the 55's when I could have used the 60's - next week.

Hammer Strength Iso Row (parallel grip, non-alternating): 70 x 14, 90 x 12 :)

I hadn't done these in a while and couldn't find my entry in the journal for the last time. I guess I should have added still more weight.

Barbell Dumbbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 10 :)

Nice set of shrugs to finish the day off. I though of doing a bit more such as kneeling but it was time to go home.
Overall Comments

Great work out.

rookiebldr
06-16-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Yeah, the whole point of my routine is to bring my arms and shoulders up a little. FYI my routine could easily been adapted to once a day, though it'd still be six days a week. It's only twice a day on M-W-F. If you consolidated the chest/back and leg workouts into one, it'd work just as well. T-TH-F are shoulders/arms. Basically, this means I hit arms directly or indirectly every day. Since it's HST-based, thought, I'm not yet feeling drained or overtrained. It's fun, which for me was half the point I gave the routine a shot.

Somehow I missed the fact that it was 6 days. I had been following your journal and new you had changed it from HST to this new routine to bring back that fun aspect. If I used both gyms, then I may be able to fit in the 6 days a week (1 session per day). I also need to understand the amount of effort you apply to the lifts on your non-max / non-failure lifts. My failure lifts may not be what is others deem failure, however, I feel I do go to the point where I can't get one more rep up past a particular sticking point. Anything less than that seem like warm-ups.

Your routine, like Chris' seem to have at least one thing in common. Hit arms alot in the week to give them the priority. One of the reasons I liked the WBB routines was that arms did get their own day plus got hit again indirectly on the chest / back day. This just didn't help as much while dieting.

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

All of us bicep-challenged individuals have to stick together.

Absolutely. :) I'll have to look in your journal to see if you've started you 1-test / 4ad cycle yet. Good luck on that, although I don't think I could stop after 2 weeks if I started seeing results.

MonStar
06-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Incline Dumbbell Press: 55 x 10.5(!), 6 :) :)

Close Grip Chins: -20 x 9(!), 6 :) :)

Deadlifts: 215 x 10(!), 6 :) :)

Awesome strength man!! Nice increases and all that strength is really soaring looking awesome man, keep it up bro!

MS

rookiebldr
06-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Sunday, June 16, 2002

Week 4 of rest For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Soreness: little bit in the chest.

Cardio: bahaha - Father's day.

Diet:
M1: poor - father's day. Daughter wanted to make daddy breakfast so lots of pancakes - no protein to speak of. She doesn't know how to mix up my shakes yet.

M2: tuna, whole wheat bread.
M3: Steak, rice, broccoli, ice cream
M4: Protein shake w/ milk & Flax

Overall Comments

not much happening today.

rookiebldr
06-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Monday, June 17, 2002

Week 4 of rest For Stats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=185121#post185121) or Goals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=187181#post187181) just click on the link.

Sleep: 4 hours :( - and not a very good 4 hours either.

Cardio: nope not today either.

Diet:

M1: Protein shake w/ milk & flax, oatmeal.
M2: BioProtein Bar
M3: Sliced steak, ww bread, milk
M4: Cottage cheese, apple
M5: Pasta w/ Tomatoes & Tuna
M6: Protein shake w/ milk & flax

weight: ~166.0 :)

Overall Comments

Should have been leg day but too much to do, need to go into work really early and it's golf day tomorrow. I regret this later due to my inconsistency with my workouts but you got to do what you got to do.

I need to post my stat update from my BF test, but, I don't have the results handy. Anyway from what I remember, old method same as last month - 22% , new method down 1% - 16%. The old method uses only 3 sites, one of which the trainer couldn't get an accurate read last month but did this month. So last month's test should have been higher. Anyway, pleased that it is still going down, although by the numbers I lost about 1lb of muscle :cry: :bang: tuttut :swear: :mad: :rolleyes:

rookiebldr
06-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Ok, time to move on and post my bodyfat results. Actually had them on my other computer which I didn't have home last night - so now I can post them. I'll also post just the results on the stats page to keep a running total.

I have convinced my Fitness Instr. at my gym at work to continue to do a 8 point test primarily to see how all parts of my body are changing. This months results are generally lower than last month - one point went up, however this was primarily due to the workout that I had just had prior to having the test done. (I had done 20 mins of rowing and this seemed to have pumped up my tricep enough that she could hardly get a reading. This month, no rowing and she had no difficulty getting a reading. She also noted that since I had lost a bit of BF, some of my folds would be easier to grab and may contribute to a thicker pinch. Oh well. Here are the results (in mm) from the last 3 months.

Site April May June

Chest 9.4 8.7 7.4
Abdomen 22.3 21.0 23.2
Thigh 11.4 12.6 10.4
Triceps 11.0 8.7 10.0
Biceps 4.4 5.2 4.5
Subscapular 19.1 18.7 17.2
Suprailliac 19.0 17.4 17.4
Axilla 22.0 20.4 17.8
Calf 7.0 5.4 6.4

7 Site Method 18.4% 17.5% 16.9%
Avg % BF 16.8 16.2 15.9
Median % BF 18.0 16.9 16.3
Weight 172 168 165

I also get the Fitness Instructor to measure my body as well to get a more consistent and un-bias measurement. She thinks it's great when my measurements go down since I'm losing bf and they should go down. Unfortunately this causes me much consternation since I always want the BF to go down, but my measurements (except waist) to go up. Oh well. Current stats are: chest-39.3, waist-35.5, hips-38.8, legs-22, arms-14.

Some observations on the above BF measurements. 1) My waist went down by 1" from May to June. Down 2" since March. However, my ab front site increased while my ab side (suprailiac) stayed the same. 2) As I mentioned earlier, my tricep went down and then up. It actually decreased a little over the two months and it was just difficult to get an acurate reading. 3) I am also carrying a far bit of body fat around the waist and back, unfortunately the worst place to cary it from a health perspective, but I'll continue to cut until these sites are down significantly. Last summer, my suprailiac measurement was down to 11.4 and subscapular was down to 15.6 at their lowest point with a waist of 34.5 inches. This was also the place where fat was added first when I started bulking - go figure.

Anyway, I know that this is way to much analysis, but it is one of the ways that I have been measuring my progress or lack there of. :rolleyes:

MonStar
06-19-2002, 10:42 AM
Nice bf% drop man, keep it up. You going to ever go ahead with HST or are you still not sure? :):)

MS

rookiebldr
06-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Nice bf% drop man, keep it up. You going to ever go ahead with HST or are you still not sure? :):)

MS

MonStar, thanks for the support ;) As little as it is, it is progress. I find it very interesting reading the various threads here and seeing what others are doing. It is very tempting to switch when progress does not occur as rapidly as one would like. Reading Maki's journal and I would almost jump at the chance to drop the poundages that he has been able to in such a short period time. However, I'll proceed down this path and continue to drop a few pounds a month and suffer the consequences. I have reduced a lot slower this time and I'm not sure to what extent that it has saved my muscle gains. About 10 more pounds to go I think.

As for HST. B&I posted above and his routine is looking very interesting if I can fit 5-6 days in a week. Definitely worth a try. I would need to ensure that I'm consistent for some time, so I would need to look ahead to see when that would be best. Reinier posted a thread about intensity and failure, I have simular reservations that need to be addressed mentally before I go down the path of HST. My next bulk session would still be a good time I think in trying B&I's modified HST routine which could be August. I'm aiming to get my waist down to about 33" before bulking up again - unless I start looking too emaciated :D :D :rolleyes: