PDA

View Full Version : Sam Byrd going for the 242 squat record this weekend!

chris mason
03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
From FI.com:

http://www.fortified-iron.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44403&st=0&gopid=772259&#entry772259

Good luck and hit that **** Sam!!!

Lones Green
03-14-2008, 03:47 AM
awesome awesome awesome. i will be there. it's cool to see cell block mentioned. we have a guy who is going to hit 1000 easily. this is going to be SO much fun.

edit: also, james searcey's deadlifts. i saw him deadlift at the first meet at i ever went to and he amazed me.

Stumprrp
03-14-2008, 06:29 AM
he will hit it.

vdizenzo
03-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Good luck Sam. You must be absolutely monstrous at 242!

killxswitch
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Good luck Sam. You must be absolutely monstrous at 242!

He's apparently not even 242, he's 221 so he could compete in that weight class. Or so the thread in the link says. Either way, he has unbelievable strength.

Stumprrp
03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
he is a inspiration to all of us, BB physique, WSM strength

Travis Bell
03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Get after it Sam!!

bjohnso
03-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Good luck Sam!

BPM Osgood
03-14-2008, 01:02 PM
You Know you got it Brother! Good Luck!!

Lones Green
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
he will hit it.

i have no doubt in this.

Guido
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Sam is a monster. I saw him in the Animal Cage at the Arnold and he is impressive.

Go get that record!

Big Hick
03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
good luck sam.

Invain
03-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Results?

Edit: Nevermind.

"Oh wow... look at this! haha i decided to compete on tuesday to see what i could do. I felt, feel, strong, but my weight is way down. It was all i could do to eat my way to 221 on friday night. I lifted sat at 216 pounds, and none of my gear fit. No big deal. I did learn some great tips on the bench shirt from paul key and joe ladnier despite missing all 3 of my benches too haha. Yea, i missed all 3 squats at 1030, again cause of my gear. Oh well, that will teach me to diet for a bodybuilding show and try to compete in the same gear bein 15 pounds lighter than normal.

My pull felt great. 700 was nothin. i ripped up 740 but lost my grip. i felt good so i went to 760 on my 3rd and missed it at the top. I rushed my setup and hips raised first... old habits die hard. But my DL is comin strong, esp for being this light and this lean.

thanks for all the support tho, ill come thru for ya soon ;o)"

Lones Green
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Results?

Edit: Nevermind.

"Oh wow... look at this! haha i decided to compete on tuesday to see what i could do. I felt, feel, strong, but my weight is way down. It was all i could do to eat my way to 221 on friday night. I lifted sat at 216 pounds, and none of my gear fit. No big deal. I did learn some great tips on the bench shirt from paul key and joe ladnier despite missing all 3 of my benches too haha. Yea, i missed all 3 squats at 1030, again cause of my gear. Oh well, that will teach me to diet for a bodybuilding show and try to compete in the same gear bein 15 pounds lighter than normal.

My pull felt great. 700 was nothin. i ripped up 740 but lost my grip. i felt good so i went to 760 on my 3rd and missed it at the top. I rushed my setup and hips raised first... old habits die hard. But my DL is comin strong, esp for being this light and this lean.

thanks for all the support tho, ill come thru for ya soon ;o)"

i thought i read on here he said he was preparing for a bodybuilding show. it's no big deal, if he went up to 250 and cut to 242 he'd nail 1100.

Big_Byrd52
03-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Yea, record was a no go. i really didnt think i would hit because i am so light right now. my strength is good, esp my deadlift right now, but my gear was just way too loose. my DL i ripped up 7 on my first. ripped up 740 but lost my grip at the top. i felt strong so i jumped to 760 to at least hit a pr pull, but i rushed the setup and my hips raised first leaving me stalled out at the top. still trying to break that habit. i have to stay clam and think my way thru the pull, if i get psyched up i rush it and lose technique.

Big_Byrd52
03-18-2008, 11:24 AM
oh, i was 216 lifting on sat haha

Travis Bell
03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
when's your show?

Big_Byrd52
03-18-2008, 01:51 PM
june 17th as long as i can keep my grades up thru the diet. it gets hard to focus when i start getting bf down there.

Travis Bell
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
grades up??? are you in school?

when I used to cut for BBing shows cutting carbs made me just about the meanest person around.

Invain
03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
I can't imagine the same person attempting a world record squat and then preparing for a bb show. You're a freak dude!

gdurling
03-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Craig Stutes and I had the pleasure of meeting you at the SPF meet this past weekend, and thought you were a class act. Your positive attitude was great. Looking forward to seeing you again. If you are every around Cajun Country (Lafayete, LA) look us up for a squat session.

chris mason
03-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Sam, shoot me an email when you get a chance.

Chris

Big_Byrd52
03-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Craig Stutes and I had the pleasure of meeting you at the SPF meet this past weekend, and thought you were a class act. Your positive attitude was great. Looking forward to seeing you again. If you are every around Cajun Country (Lafayete, LA) look us up for a squat session.

Definately man! A good friend of mine is from down there, now in Gulf Shores, but do u know Jennie Hollier? She is a USAPL/IPF World team lifter.

Craig left alot on the platform this weekend. whats his best total?

Big_Byrd52
03-19-2008, 06:17 AM
grades up??? are you in school?

when I used to cut for BBing shows cutting carbs made me just about the meanest person around.

Yea, i took a year or 2 off to do some stuff, PT and run a gym to figure out i DO NOT want to do that the rest of my life! haha So im back in school to finish my undergrad in Political Science. I got one more year here before i start Law School.

And u are right about the dieting for sure. Thats why i quit doing them 4 years ago. i ruined some good relationships for a stupid plastic trophy. Last year wasnt bad because i had my priorites in check and wasnt going to let anything compromise those and i still wound up coming in the best shape of my life. And hell, i ate sushi and ice cream till it hurt once a week all the way in to the show! haha

Big_Byrd52
03-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Sam, shoot me an email when you get a chance.

Chris

sent

Travis Bell
03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Yea, i took a year or 2 off to do some stuff, PT and run a gym to figure out i DO NOT want to do that the rest of my life! haha So im back in school to finish my undergrad in Political Science. I got one more year here before i start Law School.

And u are right about the dieting for sure. Thats why i quit doing them 4 years ago. i ruined some good relationships for a stupid plastic trophy. Last year wasnt bad because i had my priorites in check and wasnt going to let anything compromise those and i still wound up coming in the best shape of my life. And hell, i ate sushi and ice cream till it hurt once a week all the way in to the show! haha

huh. Thats funny, when I first started school it was in Exercise Science but I also figured out that I didn't want to do personal training for the rest of my life so I ended up graduating with a psychology degree which forced me to do grad school work before I can do squat with it. fun

For some reason I thought you were alot older than me, must be the paul bunyon beard haha. Post some pics if you can of your show when you get some.

Big_Byrd52
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
yea, this is an expensive hobby, its almost as bad or worse than brothers drag racing or fixing old cars haha

i have some pics from last years show u may have seen already. ill post those. i took some pics last week but my battery died and i just found my charger from where i took it to the Arnold. i did good this year tho, it only took me 2 weeks to unpack... last year it was 2-3 months! haha

Week before at 217, and 2 months later at 230 (week before IPA Pro)

http://a780.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/127/l_177d0b58496dafb4e292677a36a7695b.jpg

Makin Branch Warren feel inferrior-- at least i squat more haha

http://a168.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_9df4ef3e77266477acb310cfb718f92f.jpg

Big_Byrd52
03-19-2008, 10:45 AM
lets see some of ur BB pics... i saw where Jim keeps callin u a fat ass now on Elite haha

Lones Green
03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
yea, this is an expensive hobby, its almost as bad or worse than brothers drag racing or fixing old cars haha

i have some pics from last years show u may have seen already. ill post those. i took some pics last week but my battery died and i just found my charger from where i took it to the Arnold. i did good this year tho, it only took me 2 weeks to unpack... last year it was 2-3 months! haha

Week before at 217, and 2 months later at 230 (week before IPA Pro)

http://a780.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/127/l_177d0b58496dafb4e292677a36a7695b.jpg

Makin Branch Warren feel inferrior-- at least i squat more haha

http://a168.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_9df4ef3e77266477acb310cfb718f92f.jpg

Sam is that 2nd picture on the top row at the Rush? thats where i lift during the week...its entertaining to say the least.

Big_Byrd52
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
yea dude, FUK the RUSH! i had to go there to do cardio in the mornings and at night. my gym doesnt have any cardio, and 20 rep squats werent gonna cut it! haha

Travis Bell
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Nice pics sam, lookin pretty ripped up there!

I have to say though, Branch is one big dude

Lones Green
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
yea dude, FUK the RUSH! i had to go there to do cardio in the mornings and at night. my gym doesnt have any cardio, and 20 rep squats werent gonna cut it! haha

i agree man. i have a friend who works there so he hooks me up with the monthly rates or whatever.

chris mason
03-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Sam is that 2nd picture on the top row at the Rush? thats where i lift during the week...its entertaining to say the least.

You hold your own well there Sam!

Branch does have some mother****ing wheels!!!

gdurling
03-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Craig's best total is 2400 (will try and break 2500 @ Gary Franks meet in Baton Rouge on May 3 & 4. I know Jennie Hollier, she was on the University of Louisiana Power Lifting Team. Craig and I are training partners and train at Red Lerille's Gym. Its more of a health club, but yea they were ordering us a Monolift from Elite this week. Stay strong. George

Big_Byrd52
03-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Craig's best total is 2400 (will try and break 2500 @ Gary Franks meet in Baton Rouge on May 3 & 4. I know Jennie Hollier, she was on the University of Louisiana Power Lifting Team. Craig and I are training partners and train at Red Lerille's Gym. Its more of a health club, but yea they were ordering us a Monolift from Elite this week. Stay strong. George

Good deal, i know he left alot on the platform last week. i talked to ken about his suit told him we gotta find a way to get some briefs under there.

Jennie is sweetheart. she told me before there are some Plers that train at reds. are u guys allowed to lift with the LA team or just choose not to?

thewicked
03-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Next time it will fall... there's only one way to live forever... DO IT ON THE PLATFORM SAM!

Simply incredible numbers bro

bill
03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
great job Sam, doesn't look like the powerlifting has slowed you bodybuilding down.

Powerfulkate
03-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Sam-please post more pix of yourself in skivvies so I can continue to analyze your remarkable physique! :omg:

I know how hard it is to participate and compete in both sports at the same time, and to be able to excel as you do, well, Sam Byrd rules!!!

bjohnso
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey Sam, what kind of training do you use, being both a powerlifter and a bodybuilder?

gdurling
03-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Sam, we are the ones that train at Reds. We train on occassions at UL (the university) but are not able to lift with the team because we do not attend school there. You are right, Craig needs to get a pair of briefs under his squat suit. This is the second boss suit he has tried and always has a problem with the leg openings. We have busted out the valves on some basketballs trying to strech the material.
We are thinking of going to Gatlinburg,TN in June for the Nationals.

bill
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Hey Sam, what kind of training do you use, being both a powerlifter and a bodybuilder?

Hope Sam catches this and answers it. I would bet mostly basic powerlifting and you don't see any disportioned body parts or weakness. This is why I believe a lot of people doing "bodybuilding" should just focus a little bit on the wt instead of getting 12 reps. I just think many have a very funny idea that training a particular way (powerlifter) will make them bulky and blocky. Just random thought

Lones Green
03-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Hope Sam catches this and answers it. I would bet mostly basic powerlifting and you don't see any disportioned body parts or weakness. This is why I believe a lot of people doing "bodybuilding" should just focus a little bit on the wt instead of getting 12 reps. I just think many have a very funny idea that training a particular way (powerlifter) will make them bulky and blocky. Just random thought

should be VERY interesting. he dosen't train in gear until x amount of weeks leading up to a meet

bjohnso
03-21-2008, 01:08 PM

What I want to know is if he trains like a powerlifter while bulking (if he does cut and bulk) and a bodybuilder while cutting, or if he has a hybrid workout year-around.

Travis Bell
03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Sam isn't human

he's part Terminator, part bulldozer

Priest
03-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Travis is cool people. cant wait to see you put up 100!

Priest

Jinkies
03-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Do you pull sumo or traditonal?

Only curious because your deadlift although extremely strong is alot lower then your squat

chris mason
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Do you pull sumo or traditonal?

Only curious because your deadlift although extremely strong is alot lower then your squat

Equipment doesn't do as much for the deadlift as the squat. Sam is no different than the vast majority of athletes at his level in that respect.

Jinkies
03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah that makes sense, didn't mean any disrespect or anything was just wondering.

Wasn't really sure Sam was before this thread and gotta say hes a badass i've never seen such an unquestionable squat especially at that weight.