PDA

View Full Version : ALN Suggestion - Refill Bags?

PatheticJoe
03-15-2008, 12:00 AM
So I saw in a thread from 2004 that ALN was considering going to plastic bags for the product and after throwing my second empty tub of Opticen in the recycle bid I actually think this is a good idea. Maybe still have the tubs for first timers but offer refill bags for returning customers.

PhilsterT
03-15-2008, 02:32 AM
I don't like the tubs because the opening is too small (not on Maximus). I like plastic bags.

chris mason
03-15-2008, 06:28 AM
We feel the bags impart a "cheap" image for a given product. Customer perception can mean a lot and we have to consider the masses when producing our products.

Everything we sell is a premium product in terms of general quality, efficacy, and ingredients and we want our packaging to reflect that and not present a confusing image.

cphafner
03-15-2008, 08:39 AM
I like having tons of tubs stacked on top of the fridge. Looks cool!

chris mason
03-15-2008, 08:16 PM
By the way, I forgot to say thank you for the suggestion. We do value customer input.

PatheticJoe
03-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Your welcome, I still think advertising them as just refill bags and not your primary product might break the perception thing but all in all I'm not sure the gain is really worth it to you guys, its more of an environmental and size thing for me.

PhilsterT
03-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I imagine bags might be cheaper too... Maybe not?

Genacide
03-17-2008, 09:35 AM
You could also sell it as the "Green" option as I'm sure their is less plastic needed for bags compared to tubs. Also the cost savings (if their is any) would be appreciated to the customers that buy often.

TKisner
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah as a poor college student bags would help me to continue to support ALN!

Bob
03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I gotta say I support the refill bags idea Chris... I understand the marketing... but it could be a choice on purchase.. or just a default on the ordering site.. like you have to buy one tub, but each additional 2,5,10 lbs could come in bags - saving a couple of bucks maybe.

After buying about 25 tubs over the last couple of years... I feel like I'm supporting my local landfill... (actually I recycle them, but you get the point)

SDS
03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
The Maximus tubs are great for just about anything from washing your car mixing up SakRete. The RESULTS jug has too small an opening. I can barely get my hand in to grab the scooper.

JSully
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
I like the idea of having bags as an option on the site. I use ON protein all the time and have gotten the 10lb bag for years. I would rather purchase a 10lb bag of Nitrean if the price (after shipping) was comparable to the ON 10lb bag ($89.99 most local places).

That would be awesome to have ALN my "one stop shop" for supplements. I would start buying my creatine from ALN also so I could get every thing ordered once a month instead of splitting up my order and going locally for my protein/creatine.

JazzCatDRP
04-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree with this also. Perhaps to break that perception problem, you could not even list the refill bags on the general ordering site. Instead, when you order a tub, you get a code or something that will enable you to order a refill bag. That way, you won't have someone ordering a refill bag for the first time and getting that "cheap" type of impression.

PhilsterT
04-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Nitrean and Results: barely get my hand in the damn thing.

chris mason
04-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Man, some of you must have some big hands!

Invain
04-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Man, some of you must have some big hands!

Lol, seriously. Who the hell can't fit their hand into a Nitrean jug. Are you elephant man?

BFGUITAR
04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Lol, seriously. Who the hell can't fit their hand into a Nitrean jug. Are you elephant man?

Yeh honestly lol

Use the jugs as storage vessels!

borracho
04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I normally use my empty protein containers to hold used motor oil till I dispose of it. works nicely, and I can take it to any of the oil disposal places in my car w/o fear of spillage. :)

Jordanbcool
05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I would love to have 10lb nitrean bags! Who cares if they look cheap! I want them!

But yea, I just like buying in bulk so I don't have to worry about my powder for a couple months...instead of having to buy more protein every 1-2 months I could have some that'll last me the whole summer. And that would be really cool. Plus I don't think they sell any other protein products with casein/egg along with the whey.....I'd be willing to pay a little more then something like the ON bag just because its a better product....Just putting that out there..

JSully
05-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I would love to have 10lb nitrean bags! Who cares if they look cheap! I want them!

But yea, I just like buying in bulk so I don't have to worry about my powder for a couple months...instead of having to buy more protein every 1-2 months I could have some that'll last me the whole summer. And that would be really cool. Plus I don't think they sell any other protein products with casein/egg along with the whey.....I'd be willing to pay a little more then something like the ON bag just because its a better product....Just putting that out there..

A 10lb bag will last you a few months? lol.. damn, mine only lasts about 5weeks.

Irish Pilot
05-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Id be down for 10lb bags...the savings would be great considering the amount of protein we go through. I know a few guys who have sadly left Nitrean to go to the ON bags for the savings...cant say I will join them though...strawberry Nitrean...mmmmmm.

JSully
05-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I use ON. If nitrean were comparable to ON in 10lb containers, I would buy it exclusively and save on shipping when combined with Opticen and Maximus.

dynamo
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
i wouldnt mind bags...those nitrean containters take up alot of space and i dunno if they even recycle them in my neighborhood. but then again, would the 10lb bags empty into the 7lbs containers completely? bc thats how i would roll. I tuck my protein away so if im pulling a bag out and it accidently pops open thats is a pain in the ass.

Lones Green
05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
i wouldnt mind bags...those nitrean containters take up alot of space and i dunno if they even recycle them in my neighborhood. but then again, would the 10lb bags empty into the 7lbs containers completely? bc thats how i would roll. I tuck my protein away so if im pulling a bag out and it accidently pops open thats is a pain in the ass.

i wouldnt buy the bags just for this reason. a couple years ago i spilled a 10 lb bag of ON protein.

getb1g
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
+1 for the bags :)

TKisner
05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Chris its not in their interest monetarily therefore it is not a smart business choice for them to do it. Until that changes you wont see them.

Jordanbcool
05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
A 10lb bag will last you a few months? lol.. damn, mine only lasts about 5weeks.

It depends, I try to limit myself to only 2-3 scoops a day so it lasts. After that I just get protein from chicken, eggs, and tuna for the most part. Eggs the most I'd say, I love eggs.

Jordanbcool
05-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Chris its not in their interest monetarily therefore it is not a smart business choice for them to do it. Until that changes you wont see them.

What are you talking about? Isn't that for the consumers to decide if its in their interest "monetarily". If I want something I'm going to buy it. But, it has to be available first.

Like I said, I want 10lb bags so I don't have to worry about my protein powder for a couple months, it takes up less space then buying two tubs, and nitrean is a higher quality protein mix then what is currently available on the market (other 10lb bags). On is good but it doesn't have egg/casein which is really what I want now that I'm cutting. So again, those are my reasons for wanting the bags. Also, the price has to be reasonable but I would pay more then other bags simply because its higher quality and tastes good.

JSully
05-27-2008, 10:32 AM
It depends, I try to limit myself to only 2-3 scoops a day so it lasts. After that I just get protein from chicken, eggs, and tuna for the most part. Eggs the most I'd say, I love eggs.
I see.. yeah I have about 8 scoops/day for 8 days straight, then I take 6 days off and utilize Maximus and Opticen for that duration. I would go broke eating 200g protein per day from chicken and egg whites. lol..

What are you talking about? Isn't that for the consumers to decide if its in their interest "monetarily". If I want something I'm going to buy it. But, it has to be available first.

Like I said, I want 10lb bags so I don't have to worry about my protein powder for a couple months, it takes up less space then buying two tubs, and nitrean is a higher quality protein mix then what is currently available on the market (other 10lb bags). On is good but it doesn't have egg/casein which is really what I want now that I'm cutting. So again, those are my reasons for wanting the bags. Also, the price has to be reasonable but I would pay more then other bags simply because its higher quality and tastes good.

I agree 100%. I personally don't like tubs becuase its difficult getting my hand in there without scraping the **** out of it. I've used ON bags for about 5 years now.. Opticen is starting to be a pain in the ass getting my hand in there. I like the maximus tub! :D

method115
05-27-2008, 03:05 PM
I see.. yeah I have about 8 scoops/day for 8 days straight, then I take 6 days off and utilize Maximus and Opticen for that duration. I would go broke eating 200g protein per day from chicken and egg whites. lol..

I agree 100%. I personally don't like tubs becuase its difficult getting my hand in there without scraping the **** out of it. I've used ON bags for about 5 years now.. Opticen is starting to be a pain in the ass getting my hand in there. I like the maximus tub! :D

I agree I love the maximus tubs and I've used them for my protien 10 pounds bags I get. I would definetly pay up to 10$ more if nitrean was sold this way.

Jordanbcool
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I would go broke eating 200g protein per day from chicken and egg whites. lol..

Haha, thats the advantage of still mooching off the rents!

ZenMonkey
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM

hahha!

it would be a pain in the ass though, if it spilt.

randommetalguy
05-29-2008, 08:20 AM
I think bags are a good idea. However, I would like to have the bag have an easy open feature to dump its contents into one of my old Nitrean tubs. I like to keep my protein protected from the elements.

Jordanbcool
05-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Where do you store your protein? In the rain forest?!

I'm being serious...

HP666
05-29-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm being serious...

Yeah, he keeps his protein in a nap sack as he hitchhikes from gym to gym!!!!!

ROFLMFAO!!!:zipit:

HP666
05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I agree I love the maximus tubs and I've used them for my protien 10 pounds bags I get. I would definetly pay up to 10$ more if nitrean was sold this way.

Speak for yourself!!!!!!! :omg:

MillerTime1485
05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
... I've never met someone who couldnt get their hand in a tub of protein

randommetalguy
05-29-2008, 12:43 PM

I'm being serious...

I know that sounded weird didn't it? "Protection from the elements."

I dunno what's wrong with my apartment but it just seems like there's a lot of moisture in the air and having protein in a bag just makes me feel like it would get ruined if it weren't in a tub because of the moisture.

method115
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Speak for yourself!!!!!!! :omg:

The letter "I" in the beggining of my sentence pretty much says I'm speaking for myself. Also when I said 10$ more I meant over the price I currently pay for protein bags not 10$ more then what ALN is selling there tubs for.

HP666
05-29-2008, 02:58 PM
The letter "I" in the beggining of my sentence pretty much says I'm speaking for myself. Also when I said 10$ more I meant over the price I currently pay for protein bags not 10$ more then what ALN is selling there tubs for.

Dude, I know, I'm just having fun. :thumbup:

Notorious
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I'm being serious...

Haha, I have a 50lb bag of dextrose sitting in a closet at home. I just refill an old protein tub every now and then.

method115
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Dude, I know, I'm just having fun. :thumbup:

:outnumber:

HP666
05-29-2008, 08:00 PM
:outnumber:

:hide:

JSully
05-29-2008, 11:43 PM
... I've never met someone who couldnt get their hand in a tub of protein

Just because we can get our hand in it doesn't mean it's comfortable. I'm always scraping my hand on the sides of the tub. Not to mention, I make my PostWO shake when I get home. I'm normally so fried that is frustrating trying to work my hand in there without getting it all scraped up. It's annoying..

I prefer really big tubs or bags.

Jordanbcool
05-30-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm just trying to keep this thread as active as possible.

Maybe I'll just hoard nitrean and fill up an empty On bag of mine. Of course that would defeat the entire purpose of buying in bulk.....

Steve24
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
They should just go straight to the 5gallon buckets baby

JSully
06-10-2008, 04:16 PM
They should just go straight to the 5gallon buckets baby

:withstupi:

BFGUITAR
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I support bags or bigger containers!

I understand that ALN is trying not to give the "cheap" image but really, most people don't care. The ON bag I have doesn't look cheap what so ever. When they see "3 protein blend, mixes well, tastes great" for an affordable price in a 10lb bag people WILL buy. It is only the 15 year old punks who walk in to GNC and buy what looks most visually appealing. Chris, everyone here knows that your products are quality items. Protein is the number one supplement people get. By adding in 10lb bags you will own that department. For now, you are competing against 10lbs bags of ON whey for 80-90 bucks while a 4.6lb tub of Nitrean is around 52. People love buying protein for the long run. Right now you are placing people in an odd position. Either get 9.2lbs of protein for 104+shipping or 10lbs of whey for 85. At this point, people will ask themselves if they really want to pay more for your product. Making 10lbs bags would eliminate that thought (or at least close the gap).

Not to mention, once people start buying your protein they will buy additional supplements as well. Often people will not just buy Results or ETS. The first thing people go for is the protein, if you have them hooked on that the rest will follow.

Ben Moore
06-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't the bag be able to be condensed down into a smaller box as well? Might save in shipping or packaging costs.

deeder
06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't know if I have chimed in yet... But I also think bags are a great idea. :cool:

method115
06-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I support bags or bigger containers!

I understand that ALN is trying not to give the "cheap" image but really, most people don't care. The ON bag I have doesn't look cheap what so ever. When they see "3 protein blend, mixes well, tastes great" for an affordable price in a 10lb bag people WILL buy. It is only the 15 year old punks who walk in to GNC and buy what looks most visually appealing. Chris, everyone here knows that your products are quality items. Protein is the number one supplement people get. By adding in 10lb bags you will own that department. For now, you are competing against 10lbs bags of ON whey for 80-90 bucks while a 4.6lb tub of Nitrean is around 52. People love buying protein for the long run. Right now you are placing people in an odd position. Either get 9.2lbs of protein for 104+shipping or 10lbs of whey for 85. At this point, people will ask themselves if they really want to pay more for your product. Making 10lbs bags would eliminate that thought (or at least close the gap).

Not to mention, once people start buying your protein they will buy additional supplements as well. Often people will not just buy Results or ETS. The first thing people go for is the protein, if you have them hooked on that the rest will follow.

Agreed there not only competing with On whey trueprotien does 10lb bags and you can make a custom mix as well. This is where I currently buy mine from.

BFGUITAR
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Anyone else?

chris mason
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Agreed there not only competing with On whey trueprotien does 10lb bags and you can make a custom mix as well. This is where I currently buy mine from.

Right, and TP has high shipping costs from what I have been told as well as their prices are very comparable to ours. So, why not buy a pre-mixed blend?

method115
07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Right, and TP has high shipping costs from what I have been told as well as their prices are very comparable to ours. So, why not buy a pre-mixed blend?

There shipping cost is $11.25 and yours is $9.99 I save about 35$ dollars going through TP as well as get .8 pounds more. Also if I was to buy 16+ or more pounds I get a 5% discount. On top of that they always have a 5% discount on the web somewhere or from a user, and I mean always.

Travis Bell
07-11-2008, 08:21 PM
and you're buying a similar protein blend to Nitrean?

if you're getting just whey, its not apples to apples

chris mason
07-11-2008, 09:51 PM
There shipping cost is $11.25 and yours is $9.99 I save about 35$ dollars going through TP as well as get .8 pounds more. Also if I was to buy 16+ or more pounds I get a 5% discount. On top of that they always have a 5% discount on the web somewhere or from a user, and I mean always.

Wtf are you talking about? I have been on their site and their casein, egg, and whey isolate are priced as much or more than Nitrean on a lb for lb basis.

If you are going to try to steer people somewhere else on OUR site at least make an accurate and true comparison.

By the way, I like Dante and I think he and his partner run a top notch operation at TP.com. That said, they are not priced any better for a comparable product than we are.

chris mason
07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
To clarify the matter of this thread.

We will NOT be offering bags of Nitrean any time soon.

There is no need to discuss the matter further.