PDA

View Full Version : Diet plan for cutting whilst maintaining muscle

Tattman
03-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with an issue i have.
I started to go to the gym about 3 weeks ago, i have done weights for 4 years now but on and off which means that i lost my physique.
I generally dont have a problem putting on the muscle, i just seem to be lucky and am able to grow.
One problem i do have is around my stomach area. I want to know if it is possible to maintain my muscle and lose the body fat during the same period over a week?
Is it a good idea to eat less or drop certain foods on the days i do cardio and eat lots again on my weights days? i do 3 days weights and the rest cardio.
My current weight is 205lb and i am 6ft tall, i think my body fat is quite high at 20% +
do you have any suggestions on how i can aheive my goal

Thanks

dynamo
03-17-2008, 08:42 AM
I would start by cutting back on the food. See what happens, what do you define as cardio? I see alot of people at my school doing cardio but they don't break a sweat.

Tattman
03-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I am trying to eat clean food, minimise the fat with carbs in moderation. Im having my protein shakes.
Well for my cardio I normally do my weights session then 60 minutes within my fat burning heart rate zone. On non resistance days i do 1 hour cardio and i do sweat a lot during the carion exercise. On saturday i did 2 hours on a cross trainer and 30 minutes on a treadmill.
I hear mised answers for certain things, some people say cut back on your cals while others say just to eliminate carbs and fats apart from resistance days. Then i have thought about the high protein low carb diet to maintain the muscle whilst shedding the fat??

Slim Schaedle
03-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I see alot of people at my school doing cardio but they don't break a sweat.

You aren't implying that one must sweat, or should sweat, in order to be reeping any benefit from caridiovascular exercise, are you?

Aslin
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
you need to know your maintainance calories.. try LBM * 13.. if you start gaining weight, take off the carbs in your diet, just make sure you keep the protein to 1g per lb of LBM and fat 1/2g per lb. (or more)

Tattman
03-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Ok i'll try that, my daily calorie requirements is 2100

Thanks for your help

kad
03-18-2008, 06:15 AM
2100 seems way low for anyone's maintenance. I'm 5'10, 210, and I maintain on roughly 3000 a day. You need to track your calories for a week using a tool such as Fitday (http://www.fitday.com), and if you don't gain or lose any weight, those are *your* maintenance calories, not some cookie cutter formula. Just my thoughts, and the general consensus on these boards.

patrick3217
03-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Something I recommend is doing a search, and looking at Builts diet info.. She knows her stuff, and good luck man.

radioheadhead
03-18-2008, 09:46 PM
2100 seems way low for anyone's maintenance. I'm 5'10, 210, and I maintain on roughly 3000 a day. You need to track your calories for a week using a tool such as Fitday (http://www.fitday.com), and if you don't gain or lose any weight, those are *your* maintenance calories, not some cookie cutter formula. Just my thoughts, and the general consensus on these boards.

I hear you, but my maint. is about 2200/ day at 196.:confused:

Tattman
03-19-2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys