PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into Rhodestown!

Shangers
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Dear Matt,

I dream of being a Rhodestown member but am too skinny and lanky. I used to train at TPS with Murph and the powerlifting group and have seen you there a few times and am impressed at how a tall lanky guy can still total elite, as that is what I aspire to do one day.

I am 6'1'' and about 200 lbs right now and have competed in 220s and 242s in powerlifting. Realistically, I should be a 275 given my height. Please help me with my diet because I have been drinking protein shakes 5x a day and eating chicken breast the other 2 meals and I am sick of it. With these leverages, I am never going to total anything big in powerlifting and I know it. Ideally, I'd like to remain somewhat healthy as heart disease does run in my family, but I do realize I need to put on some serious weight and maybe hit a 1800+ total at 220s one day.

Hopefully this thread inspires others to join me on a voyage towards higher powerlifting totals and increased happiness due to eating tasty food rather than bland protein shakes.

Unholy
03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Go to an all you can eat buffet 2 x a day.

Rusty
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Go to an all you can eat buffet 2 x a day.

With a trip to McDonlads in between.

bjohnso
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Quiznos!

WBBIRL
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
The challenge you face is as hard as the one I face, except I can blow up big time on 3000 or so calories per week and you'd probably maintain or even slowly cut on that many.

You stay lean easy, I get big easy... to each of us the grass is greener on the other side.

You have to want it, if your not getting bigger you have to eat more plain and simple.

You can tell yourself you can, and you can tell yourself you can't... in both cases you'd be right.

radioheadhead
03-17-2008, 05:15 PM
5 shakes per day? I would replace 3 with real food and go down to 2 shakes per day.

Keith
03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Quiznos!

Seriously!

I got a foot long chicken misquite and that thing has about 1300 calories in it! No wonder they don't advertise a nutritional menu in their store.

dxiw
03-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Lol. Eat 5000 calories / day cleanly with a lot of protein and quality carbs/fat. Workout hard. Results will come. Pretty simple.

Killa Kurt
03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
5 shakes per day? I would replace 3 with real food and go down to 2 shakes per day.

Why not do 4 meals a day with 5 shakes?

radioheadhead
03-17-2008, 05:58 PM

LOL that'll work too.

Keith
03-17-2008, 05:58 PM

Why not do 4 meals a day with 5 shakes with McDonalds and 2 buffets mid-day?

Killa Kurt
03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Why not do 4 meals a day with 5 shakes with McDonalds and 2 buffets mid-day?

I stand corrected. :withstupi:

HahnB
03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Heart disease runs in your family and you want to weigh 275lbs? Swift move. If you're willing to sacrifice your health for the sake of joining an imaginary online club, I would start eating Mcdonalds 2-3 times daily at least, and follow the advice of everyone else.

Keith
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Heart disease runs in your family and you want to weigh 275lbs? Swift move. If you're willing to sacrifice your health for the sake of joining an imaginary online club, I would start eating Mcdonalds 2-3 times daily at least, and follow the advice of everyone else.

In all seriousness, think about this.

bjohnso
03-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Seriously!

I got a foot long chicken misquite and that thing has about 1300 calories in it! No wonder they don't advertise a nutritional menu in their store.

The carbonara is 1500 and like 86g of protein, but I usually get the mesquite. I've said it before and I'll say it again - that stuff is like crack.

Keith
03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
The carbonara is 1500 and like 86g of protein, but I usually get the mesquite. I've said it before and I'll say it again - that stuff is like crack.

It's so true! It beats out Subway and Mr. Sub like no tomorrow! It's slightly more expensive but SO worth it.

I think I've had every kind there and I'm hooked on the mesquite. I think that has about 83g of protein too.

Invain
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm a msiquite man myself. The Prime Rib cheesesteak has the most cals I think, at 1700+, but the Quiznos on my campus doesn't have it on the menu. The black angus as almost 100 grams of protein, but honestly, I tried one once and thought it tasted like ass.

bjohnso
03-17-2008, 08:18 PM
It's so true! It beats out Subway and Mr. Sub like no tomorrow! It's slightly more expensive but SO worth it.

I think I've had every kind there and I'm hooked on the mesquite. I think that has about 83g of protein too.

Actually, a double-stacked sub from subway has about the same amount of protein for about the same price. So it's not really more expensive. I'm cutting/maintaining for now, so I don't know when I'll be able to eat quiznos again :(

Slim Schaedle
03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Ideally, I'd like to remain somewhat healthy as heart disease does run in my family, but I do realize I need to put on some serious weight and maybe hit a 1800+ total at 220s one day.

Buy a tub of Crisco lard.

Measure about 1 cup and put it in a bowl and place in microwave.

Nuke it until it is completely liquid.

Blend it up with your whey protein shakes, but make sure you use whole Vitamin D milk.

Your shake will taste great and you will have no problems getting to your target weight after a while.

Shangers
03-18-2008, 06:17 AM

This has less to do with how much I weigh and more to do with having better leverages to squat and bench with. Bottom line is you don't want to be the tallest guy in your weight class at powerlifting meets. Most 6'1'' lifters tend to be 275s+.

My goal is to total elite one day. Sorry buddy, but it has nothing to do with an imaginary club. I'm just seeking advice from someone who went from skinny to freakishly strong.

The rest of you take these posts wayyy too seriously lol. Guess that's what happens when you eat nasty healthy crap all day. I'm enjoying a couple glazed donut right now for breakfast and they are delicious!

HahnB
03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Oh, I guess I'm in the wrong, right? All I'm saying is that you should think your decisions through a little more carefully.

drew
03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Eat a lot. Eat everything. Do your conditioning work and take your fish oil and get your bloodwork done regularly (at least every 6 months).

Why don't you train at TPS anymore?

Shangers
03-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I still do. I usually go there Mondays with Dxiw. I'd go everyday but I totalled my car last November so no more transportation for me. I'm coming from Cambridge so it's quite a trip without a car.

HahnB, haha I just noticed we have the same birthday. Oct 18th lol!

ProLogic
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Quiznos!

In my eyes, I see no difference between Quiznos and subway. :D

RhodeHouse
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
HahnB is still a whiney little ..... Good to see nothing has changed.

As for your quest to be in Rhodestown, which is not imaginary. There is just a small memeber ship, because, quite honestly, not too many people understand what it takes to be great. So, they cry and moan because they are small and weak in mind and body.

I like your mindset. If you truly want to be a good powerlifter, you do need to pack on the lbs. Don't just eat crap and get fat. Here are a few simple things to keep an eye on:

-Keep your protein around 250-300g per day.
-Make sure you're eating A LOT of carbs.
-Eat McDonald's 1x per day (all other fast food restaurants suck)
-Don't put anything in your mouth that doesn't have calories in it
-Never be without food
-Drink a gallon of Gatorade EVERYDAY

As for heart problems - be smart. Don't eat crappy food all the time. Eat clean, but not healthy. Healthy will get you small and weak. Clean will get you jacked and strong. It's a fact!

Stay away from Murph, too. He is weak and fat, and will only give you bad strength vibes. :thumbup:

Condition 3-4x per week. Do some Strongman stuff instead of cardio. It's more fun and will get you stronger. Nothing crazy, but light farmers', stones, log pressing - all that stuff is great for conditioning. Take about 20 minutes to condition and stretch.

Hope those ideas help.

And, remember, there are 2 kinds of people in the world - BIG PEOPLE and little people. You should want to be BIG PEOPLE.

Introduce yourself next time I'm down there.

HahnB
03-19-2008, 05:21 PM
HahnB is still a whiney little ..... Good to see nothing has changed.

Someone made a thread and posted the following fact, followed by the following question.

1. Heart disease runs in my family

2. How can I become over-weight?

I told him weighing 275lbs- which is an above average load on your heart- regardless of body fat, might not be the greatest idea for him and I'm somehow labeled a "whiney little". Only in America.

RhodeHouse
03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Someone made a thread and posted the following fact, followed by the following question.

I told him weighing 275lbs- which is an above average load on your heart- regardless of body fat, might not be the greatest idea for him and I'm somehow labeled a "whiney little". Only in America.

Yes. He's a big boy. If he wants to get jacked, he can. If heart disease is an issue, he can choose to stay skinny or to get jacked. Whatever his choice, he is capable of making that decision. He asked how he could put some weight on and increase his total. I told him how to do it. Now, it's up to him to choose whether or not he wants to use that info or not. No matter what you say, or I say, for that matter, he will make that choice, knowing full well, that heart disease is an issue. Hell, I have heart problems and a history of BP and cholesterol problems in my family. I'm sorry, but that will not be my excuse for not reaching my goals. Whah! I have heart problems!

And, if you have a problem with this country (only in America) get the F#$K out! We don't need your belly-aching and pissing and moaning.

Sensei
03-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Hahn,
Everyone is perfectly clear on your views. Why do you feel the need to butt in to every thread on the subject? Maybe, just maybe, the rest of us aren't as clueless as you think.

HP666
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Hahn,
Everyone is perfectly clear on your views. Why do you feel the need to butt in to every thread on the subject? Maybe, just maybe, the rest of us aren't as clueless as you think.

It's like the Surgeon General's Warning!!!!! :burger: :alcoholic: :zipit:

HahnB
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Hahn,

Well I was reading back through the thread and I seemed to be the only person that took this position...Should someone not have told him that if heart disease is rampant in his family that he might not want to try and gain as much weight as possible?

As far as Rhodes comment, I guess I was under some sort of foolish assumption that the health of your heart should supersede your powerlifting goals. That doesn't mean that everyone should do the same, but in his situation it's surely something to consider.

CrazyK
03-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Well I was reading back through the thread and I seemed to be the only person that took this position...Should someone not have told him that if heart disease is rampant in his family that he might not want to try and gain as much weight as possible?

As far as Rhodes comment, I guess I was under some sort of foolish assumption that the health of your heart should supersede your powerlifting goals. That doesn't mean that everyone should do the same, but in his situation it's surely something to consider.You're not his doctor. He asked for advice on gaining weight, if you have nothing to add then do us all a favor and not post this regurgitated garbage over and over again. Incredibly annoying.

Slim Schaedle
03-21-2008, 01:49 AM
For the record, my previous post quoted below, was 100% sarcasm and actually meant to express agreement with the postion Hahn took.

Blend it up with your whey protein shakes, but make sure you use whole Vitamin D milk.

Your shake will taste great and you will have no problems getting to your target weight after a while.

So, flame away.

azma
03-21-2008, 01:58 AM

If that's your only suggestion when someone wants to gain mass and get stronger while eating "tasty food," then your conceptualization of tastiness is markedly peculiar, and extremely frightening to me.

HahnB
03-21-2008, 02:06 AM
You're not his doctor. He asked for advice on gaining weight, if you have nothing to add then do us all a favor and not post this regurgitated garbage over and over again. Incredibly annoying.

lol, so if his family's medical history was unrelated to his post, why did he include it? Obviously he wanted that included into the people's responses, or he wouldn't have ****ing included it into his OP.

Slim Schaedle
03-21-2008, 02:26 AM
If that's your only suggestion when someone wants to gain mass and get stronger while eating "tasty food," then your conceptualization of tastiness is markedly peculiar, and extremely frightening to me.

Yes, if that were really my honest recomendation.

Did you read the post immediately before yours above?

bill
03-21-2008, 06:06 AM
I think Rhodes gave good advice. Eat clean + cardio + check ups and so on. Do people not think you could be 6'1" 275 and free of heart problems? He may only stay at 275 for a short period who knows.
Look at Jared he seems fine, but I see him on tv.
As far health most of us should probably cut most of the wts out decrease our eating, (no meats)...... do more cardio and not use Aas. That is what many doctors will tell you.

Chubrock
03-21-2008, 08:02 AM
As far as Rhodes comment, I guess I was under some sort of foolish assumption that the health of your heart should supersede your powerlifting goals.

To some people, acheiving their goals is more important than their health/safety. I wouldn't expect you to understand that though.

HahnB
03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
To some people, acheiving their goals is more important than their health/safety. I wouldn't expect you to understand that though.

I would surely hope not. You can't do much goal attaining when you're dead. The average person might be able to get away with weighing 275lbs for extended periods of time, but someone with heart disease in their family may want to be more careful. It's actually pretty incredible that you can find a way to disagree with that. Unless of course, you're just disagreeing to disagree.

Chubrock
03-21-2008, 09:36 AM
It's actually pretty incredible that you can find a way to disagree with that. Unless of course, you're just disagreeing to disagree.

I never said I disagree with that. You seem to think that all these guys competing at a top level are oblivious to the fact that in some manner they're destroying their body. Everybody is aware of this. You don't get to a top level of any competitive endeavor and compete for your health. Those that are at the top of their respective sport understand the sacrifice they're making.

Shangers
03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
OMG HE DISAGREES WITH ME LET ME TELL HIM HOW RITE I AM KK

u guyz r not teh funny :(