rtrose
03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Before:

rtrose
03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
After:

rtrose
03-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Up till now I have been on a kind of dirty bulk, so I am going to try to clean up some stuff so that I don't get too fat. I would like to get up to 175 lbs before I do any cutting etc. Suggestions?

Detard
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd slow down the bulk abit and focus on lifting heavy. What does your program look like and what's your diet like?

rtrose
03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I lift 3x's a week with a trainer at school. We hit legs, chest, shoulders, back, and arms every MWF, but alternate the type of workout. Usually doing 3 sets of 6 reps...
My diet consists of trying to get in as much protein and carbs as possible. Its hard to make anything consistent because I have to eat whatever is at school. But I do take a whey protein shake about twice a day, and a weight gainer before bed along with a peanut butter sandwich.
I try to get at least 2500 calories a day.
Most of my carbs are from fettucini and most of my protein is from chicken breast fillets.
I was drinking alot of soda to help myself with the calories b/c I hate stuffing my face, but I am going to switch to drinking water and aim for about a gallon a day.

killxswitch
03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I'd slow down the bulk abit and focus on lifting heavy. What does your program look like and what's your diet like?

Yeah. Your back double-bicep shot was the only one that made it look like you did anything other than get fatter. Please don't take offense, that isn't my intention.

rtrose
03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm not sensitive, so you can be as harsh as you like. I think it is incredibly helpful! I really want to get my lats alot wider, develop my traps, chest, and build my arms up huge. My two main priorities are back, shoulders, arms and chest. But I am working on my calves, quads, hamstrings, and abs (believe it or not! hahaha!).

Detard
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm not sensitive, so you can be as harsh as you like. I think it is incredibly helpful!

In that case, you gained ALOT of fat. To me it looks like it all went to your stomach. So as I said before, work on hitting the weights hard with good form while maintaining your weight and you should see some good progress. How quickly did you gain this weight?

rtrose
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Since last September...

I took 3 more shots, the first is of my legs...
So would you suggest eating less, but continue lifting the same? Do you think I would lose muscle mass doing that?
I do agree that I think I gained alot of fat. Thats why advise to skinny ectomorphs to bulk dirty because you won't gain anything is nonsense!

Detard
03-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Dont drop your calories, instead, reduce your fat intake and up the protein. Just keep lifting heavy consistantly and the gains will come. Good luck man!

rtrose
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks!

rtrose
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Any advise on what I should hit harder?

getb1g
03-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah dude looks like 80% of your gains were fat.
To clean up your diet.
-NO transfats
-Limited Saturated Fats
-poly/mono fats = good
-no refined sugar
-avoid fried foods

My diet isnt too clean either but my gains are very lean.. I guess it just depends on the person.

rtrose
03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't say that 80% were fat... I know I gained alot, but I also gained a significant amount of muscle

getb1g
03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't say that 80% were fat... I know I gained alot, but I also gained a significant amount of muscle

Well maybe I'm being a lil harsh but.. more then half the gains are fat..

rtrose
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
The only problem I have with that is that before, I was stick like, straight up and down, and after my shoulders broadened, my chest thickened (from being concave), My arms/forarms grew a ton, and my thighs thickened to the point where my boxers ride up and my jeans are skin tight. I still wear my 29" jeans etc. One thing that I think is making my midsection look so fat is that I am built very narrow, making that pear shape easy.
I think that my biggest downfall was assuming I would never gain any fat, because I assumed I had a high metabolism. So I did stuff like drink soda etc. I also played the numbers game. But my strength has shot up like crazy, and my trainer has worked my ass off since September to the point that I have to just set out for a while afterwards before I can do anything else.

Jorge Sanchez
03-18-2008, 09:25 PM
You gained some mass, but far too much fat. I would say clean up your diet. Cut down some carbs and up protein and health fats. Empty calories like soda and sweets should have no place in your diet. Try to limit your carb intake to fibrous carbs.

rtrose
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
What word would you use to describe my body as is?

Jorge Sanchez
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Don't worry about that, just lift heavy and eat properly.

rtrose
03-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I am relieved that I won't have to stop my bulk... I've been lifting heavy, so I will just up the protein, and cut the pop.

In general I am concerned with size as opposed to being cut or lean, however, I don't want to end up bottom heavy!

nhlfan
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
cut the soda, any fatty pasta sauces, etc.

how long did this bulk take you?

rtrose
03-19-2008, 04:46 AM
I started in September

rtrose
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Stats:
Chest- 38.25"

Arm- 12.5"

Waist- 33.5"

Thigh- 23.5"

rtrose
03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I am overhauling my diet and workouts to narrow my waist out again. I don't necessarily want to be abs/veins cut, but I do want a tapered torso!

rtrose
03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I've already lost 2 plus lbs from when these pictures were taken

pmpimpalot01
03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
how much did your lifts go up, like bench, squat and deadlift since you started your bulk.

rtrose
03-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Alot, for example when I started I could just barely to push ups, could not dp wide grip pull ups or chin ups, and only lifted the bar on bench, squat etc...

shazoo123
03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
if possible, i think it would be helpful if you listed your workout routine. Because i feel that it is a bit ridiculous to see such amount of fat again with little muscle gain. You definately have the concept of eating right, but it must be the working out/routine/scheme/exercises that need to have a look. so please do list

rtrose
03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
its on my bulking journal

bjohnso
03-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Dont drop your calories, instead, reduce your fat intake and up the protein.

Why would he want to drop the fat intake?

rtrose
03-28-2008, 02:41 PM
because I am gaining too much fat and not enough muscle

bjohnso
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Fat doesn't make you fat - calories make you fat. And furthermore, your body manufactures hormones from dietary fat. If I were bulking and wanted to slow it down, I would (given what I know - maybe I'm wrong?) eliminate some carbs.

rtrose
03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, I'm thinking about watching my carb intake as well as fat intake. I also wonder how many toxins etc. I have been taking in. I was designated driver last night because I think my alcohol intake might be a contributing factor.

Nosaj
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I was designated driver last night because I think my alcohol intake might be a contributing factor.

Alcohol intake... designated driver... questionable?

Cut carbs, not protein/fat. You already said you've been dirty bulking, it shows. You put on a ton of stomach fat and little muscle. 6 meals a day, every 3 hours, carbs only pre & post workout (i.e. 2 meals) and the rest of your meals (the other 4) strictly protein/fat. I'm not even going to look into your workout journal, but given that you're in a calorie surplus, you have had time to put on LBM, and it hasn't happened. Lift heavier compound movements.

Mike G
03-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I just looked at your routine, it sucks. No real need at this point for a lot of the movements you are doing. Right now, you should really be focusing on compound lifts. Who is the trainer you are working with, is he a student working at the gym, or someone you paid for help? I used to work at a gym and would see a lot of workouts just like this, lots of exercises, change things up each workout and the people would not get the results they wanted. When they started to focus on compounds and increasing weight, they did. Your trainer should have been able to see your weight gain was not enough LBM and changed things up, especially if you are paying for his help.

Do a search on Starr 5x5, or Madcow 5x5. Both are good compound routines that will get you on the right track. Like Paul Stagg always says, you can spend fifteen minutes at the end of the workout doing other stuff.

It would also be a good idea to read some of the nutrition threads to get a better idea for your diet and to just learn some basic stuff that will be very helpful in the future.

rtrose
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks, we are actually moving to compound movements next week. I will look those two up

McIrish
03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
rt, you have the right IDEA. Eat a lot, lift heavy - however, as I'm sure you know by now, your eating choices (soda pop et al) and your workout regimen (lots of minor isolation exercises, not enough focus on heavy compound movements) probably isn't the most conducive to gaining LBM while minimizing fat gain.

Keep up with the great attitude and change a few things here and there and you'll notice MARKED improvement.

rtrose
04-03-2008, 10:28 PM
So, I cut the soda etc, and I am down 3 lbs... here are some pics I just took for progress. Can you tell any improvement?

csi
04-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Don't be so worried about your "look" day to day. Come back with a 6 or 1 year update :)

joelhall
04-04-2008, 05:27 AM
have simple carbs later in the day, and slower proteins. complex carbs earlier and faster protein (like whey). add some beef into the mix. but you can see some ok progress, especially round the shoulders. skip the weight gainer before bed too, too many carbs for sleeping. eat most of your fat at breakfast or later at night. itll slow the digestion for when you sleep.

cut out the sugars, the refined crap. dont cut fat, just dont go too overboard on saturates, (makes you feel crappy).

and please, whatever else, never forget to put shorts on.:thumbup:

rtrose
04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
thanks