PDA

View Full Version : some advice on belts

jbrin0tk
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I've been thinking about investing in a good belt here lately. My squat is going up (350) and Deadlift as well (415). I know those aren't huuuuge numbers, but they aren't nothing either, in terms of what they could potentially do to one's body. I've got pretty good form and have had no injuries thus far, but think that it might be wise to invest in a belt, especially for deadlifts. My questions are as follows:

1). Why use a belt? What are some of the reasons people might want to use a belt?

2). Would you recommend getting one?

3). If so, where can I buy a good belt? I was looking at the ones Inzer makes and some of the ones on Elitefts, too. Are they about the same in quality, or do you have other recommendations?

4). Finally, how do you know what size to get? I was on Inzer's website and I saw something about a 13mm and a 10mm belt, though I am assuming that those may be the measurements for the width of the belt?

Thanks, guys, to whoever can give some advice. I appreciate it a lot!

deeder
03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I've been thinking about investing in a good belt here lately. My squat is going up (350) and Deadlift as well (415). I know those aren't huuuuge numbers, but they aren't nothing either, in terms of what they could potentially do to one's body. I've got pretty good form and have had no injuries thus far, but think that it might be wise to invest in a belt, especially for deadlifts. My questions are as follows:

1). Why use a belt? What are some of the reasons people might want to use a belt?
To squat more. Don't be tricked into a false sense of security. It will not protect your back.

2). Would you recommend getting one?
Sure.

3). If so, where can I buy a good belt? I was looking at the ones Inzer makes and some of the ones on Elitefts, too. Are they about the same in quality, or do you have other recommendations?
Inzer has great belts.

4). Finally, how do you know what size to get? I was on Inzer's website and I saw something about a 13mm and a 10mm belt, though I am assuming that those may be the measurements for the width of the belt?
I'd suggest you get the 13mm, others may disagree. As for the size, I'm pretty sure it goes by waist size...
Thanks, guys, to whoever can give some advice. I appreciate it a lot!

Blah

jbrin0tk
03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey, Deeder, thanks for the advice/information. I was wondering, how does it help you squat more? I'm not doubting you; I'm just wondering why this is true. Thanks.

deeder
03-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey, Deeder, thanks for the advice/information. I was wondering, how does it help you squat more? I'm not doubting you; I'm just wondering why this is true. Thanks.

A big limiting factor for squatting and deadlifting (and to a lesser degree benching) is core strength. Wearing a belt simulates having a stronger core. You push your stomach into the belt and it creates more intra-abdominal pressure than you could without the belt.

dynamo
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM
maybe i can be the devils advocate here...I don't want to use a belt, having my core strength go up with my 3 i think is a great idea. I love the idea of being able to dead lift 600lbs one day without a belt (I only do 315x5 now but its belt free). I'm more interested in total body fitness than whats the biggest number I can push or pull, though, i do have my days. Maybe a rant? maybe helpful? only you can decide ;)

Detard
03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
maybe i can be the devils advocate here...I don't want to use a belt, having my core strength go up with my 3 i think is a great idea. I love the idea of being able to dead lift 600lbs one day without a belt (I only do 315x5 now but its belt free). I'm more interested in total body fitness than whats the biggest number I can push or pull, though, i do have my days. Maybe a rant? maybe helpful? only you can decide ;)

This is the powerlifting section eh?

Beno79
03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
What sort of squat and deadlift numbers do people usually get to before investing in a belt? And are they simply to improve performance? Is there no safety benefit?

Lones Green
03-18-2008, 06:20 PM
just make sure you can move some weight without a belt before you buy one. do some sets without it, if you use it too much you can actually end up injuring yourself.

Beno79
03-18-2008, 06:28 PM
well i'm comfortably at 300x3 deadlift, x5 at a struggle. Squat though I feel my core is weak as I tend to bend over too much on the way up, I don't feel strong enough in my core to resist being pushed over by the weight. I guess a belt could help here, but solving the problem by increasing core strength would be a better idea...

jbrin0tk
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
just make sure you can move some weight without a belt before you buy one. do some sets without it, if you use it too much you can actually end up injuring yourself.

How much weight are you talking about here? Thanks, man.

deeder
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Right... Because anyone who deadlifts 600lbs in a belt clearly has no core strength...

What sort of squat and deadlift numbers do people usually get to before investing in a belt? And are they simply to improve performance? Is there no safety benefit?

There's no set limit. If you plan on competing, get a belt. If not, it's completely up to you...

I disagree with the first point. There's no reason not to learn how to use a belt from the start. I completely agree with your second point. Training without the belt can be more important than training with it. I'm 3 weeks out of nationals and I'm 12 weeks in to a 16 week program. The first 8 or so I only used a belt for my squats in knee wraps. (That's 1 out of 3 times a week I was squatting, including the front squats on my deadlift day)

well i'm comfortably at 300x3 deadlift, x5 at a struggle. Squat though I feel my core is weak as I tend to bend over too much on the way up, I don't feel strong enough in my core to resist being pushed over by the weight. I guess a belt could help here, but solving the problem by increasing core strength would be a better idea...

Why not both? It could also be a form problem. At your level, imbalances are not pronounced and most issues will be with technique.

Ben Moore
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Christ, it's a belt, not a decision to give up your first born. It's a tool, and a safety device.

I personally like the Inzers, but do a search for Bob's Custom Lifting Belts. Awesome belts that will last a lifetime and they are made to order.

deeder
03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Christ, it's a belt, not a decision to give up your first born. It's a tool, and a safety device.

I personally like the Inzers, but do a search for Bob's Custom Lifting Belts. Awesome belts that will last a lifetime and they are made to order.

:withstupi:

:thumbup:

Inzer forever belts will also last a lifetime. :evillaugh: