PDA

View Full Version : Calories from Alcohol

SMK41
03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but I usually drink 2-3 nights a week. When I drink I can add anywhere from an extra 700-2500 calories for that day depending what I'm drinking and how much a drink. For those of you that track calories, do you eat less food on days you drink so that your total calories hit the number you are trying for each day? It seems like it'd be bad to sub out a 1000 calories of real food for 1000 calories of alcohol and mixers which is basically just carbs. But if I'm getting the right amount of protein that day does it really matter where those carbs come from?

I'm sure it's more important to worry about it while cutting than it is for bulking. But I'm trying to do a pretty clean bulk right now and if I don't eat less on days I drink I'll easily drink an extra 4000 calories a week over what I was already budgeting for and it seems like that would just be an extra pound of fat I'd be adding every week that I'd rather not add.

Keith
03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
So you care enough to track your calories, but don't care enough to drink?

So when you're drinking with your buddies and all, do you actually look at the label and track every calorie that you consume including the mixer?

To answer your question though, yes, if you're consuming 1000 calories from alcohol, then sub out 1000 calories that you would have consumed from solid food.

RedSpikeyThing
03-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Don't forget to subtract the calories from alcohol slowing your metabolism. And all the other negative effects associated with alcohol. Why don't you cut down to drink once per week? It will give you some extra money too :)

PS use the search and you'll see where some other threads on alcohol of gone.

SMK41
03-19-2008, 10:55 AM
So you care enough to track your calories, but don't care enough to drink?

So when you're drinking with your buddies and all, do you actually look at the label and track every calorie that you consume including the mixer?

To answer your question though, yes, if you're consuming 1000 calories from alcohol, then sub out 1000 calories that you would have consumed from solid food.

I just started tracking my calories, so the whole tracking calories thing is new to me still. I use www.thedailyplate.com and it has the nutrition info for most types of liquor and beer on there. I don't keep track exactly but I give a rough guess on how many drinks I had. If I'm drinking at home or at a friends place it's easier than at a bar. If I buy a 12 pack and take it to my friends place and finish it and don't drink anything else I know I had 12 beers. If I wake up in the morning and see I have 2 beers left I know I only drank 10. It's not that hard.

I don't have to really worry about mixers. When I go out I only drink beer. When I drink at home if I do mixed drinks I only use coke zero/sprite zero, sugar free sour mix, and light cranberry juice (5 cal per serving). So I only have to keep track of the alcohol and for a while now I've been in the habit of using a jigger to measure out how many shots I use when I make my drinks. I started doing it just to follow the recipe when making different drinks but I decided to keep using it b/c I noticed when I got drunk I'd start dumping a lot in each drink when I should probably be slowing down. Plus when I'm mixing my drinks I usually stick with the same thing all night. So I might decided I'm gonna do Southern Comfort and Coke Zero and I put 2 shots in every drink and then in the morning I just try to remember roughly how many drinks I had. I might be off by 1, but it's not a huge deal unless I'm off be 3 or more.

SMK41
03-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Don't forget to subtract the calories from alcohol slowing your metabolism. And all the other negative effects associated with alcohol. Why don't you cut down to drink once per week? It will give you some extra money too :)

PS use the search and you'll see where some other threads on alcohol of gone.

Yeah I know I should drink less, but that's not gonna happen right now. I'm only 26. I'm still in the "only been out of school for a few years with no responsibility" phase of my life. I went from drinking 5 nights or more a week in college down to just 2-3 nights a week (usually every Friday and Saturday, and sometimes on Sundays). I'm kind of over the bar scene, so I only go to bars maybe 2-3 times a month. Most of my drinking is at home or at a friends place which is a lot less expensive than going to the bar. I figure I should enjoy it now while I don't have a wife or kids and while my body can still bounce back quickly from a night of drinking.

Plus the rest of my life is pretty clean. I don't smoke or do any drugs. I don't really eat any fast food, junk food, soda, chips, cookies, cake, or candy. I could be treating my body a lot worse!

RedSpikeyThing
03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Plus the rest of my life is pretty clean. I don't smoke or do any drugs. I don't really eat any fast food, junk food, soda, chips, cookies, cake, or candy. I could be treating my body a lot worse!

No doubt you could be treating it worse. IMO you shouldn't worry about counting calories if you're drinking 3 times per week because of the whole "bigger fish to fry" thing. I'm also assuming that by "drinking" you mean drinking heavily. If you're having a beer or two then counting calories would be ok.

Shangers
03-20-2008, 05:21 PM
I used to drink like you do if not more. My fraternity was pretty big on partying and my weekends usually started on Wednesday nights("party ball wednesdays!") and lasted until Sunday("omg it's trivia night at the local bar, gotta go"). While I still made it to the gym and even made gains, it really takes it's toll on your body. The biggest thing that convinced me that drinking heavily is a bad idea is how fast I made gains when I didn't drink all the time.

Try going a month without boozing and you'll feel a lot stronger in the gym, more energetic when you wake up, and you'll look much leaner too without even changing your diet.

Recreational drugs(coke, E, shrooms, weed), if anything are less damaging to your lifting and strength gains than boozing.

Shangers
03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
^^ I just realized you are older than me lol. It's not the calories that are damaging. It's the havoc alcohol wreaks on your testosterone levels and all your internal organs. It makes you store fat around your gut more and tons of other bad stuff. Why not play poker or something wiht your buddies instead of getting hammered. Or just find some new friends who are into lifting.

JohnnyBrown
03-20-2008, 08:45 PM
This is why god created marijuana.

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2008, 11:42 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but I usually drink 2-3 nights a week. When I drink I can add anywhere from an extra 700-2500 calories for that day depending what I'm drinking and how much a drink. For those of you that track calories, do you eat less food on days you drink so that your total calories hit the number you are trying for each day? It seems like it'd be bad to sub out a 1000 calories of real food for 1000 calories of alcohol and mixers which is basically just carbs. But if I'm getting the right amount of protein that day does it really matter where those carbs come from?

I'm sure it's more important to worry about it while cutting than it is for bulking. But I'm trying to do a pretty clean bulk right now and if I don't eat less on days I drink I'll easily drink an extra 4000 calories a week over what I was already budgeting for and it seems like that would just be an extra pound of fat I'd be adding every week that I'd rather not add.

Calories? Who gives a damn about calories from a drink.

I would be more worried about the effect alcohol has on protein synthesis and the fact that digestion of all macronutrients comes to a screeching halt until all the alcohol has been metabolized.

When I was doing research in order to design a study on the topic, I learned that just one drink causes a 75% decrease in IGF-1 growth factor for 72 hours.

Obviously, some people can get away with regular drinking in real world application.

Food for thought though.

Slim Schaedle
03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
This is why god created marijuana.

That is why god created GHB.

But some perverts had to go **** that good thing up.

Rogue
03-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Calories from alcohol are crap. I'm a bartender and used to drink 4 nights a week, sometimes drinking over 20 shots along with my mixed drinks in an 8 hour shift. I wised up and realized that if you truly want to get good gains on a consistant basis you need to stop drinking or keep drinking at a minimum of maybe 1-2 drinks per week. If you're serious about working out, then you must cut the alcohol out...

SMK41
03-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. At this stage in my life the best I'm gonna be able to do is try to keep my drinking to only 2 nights a week instead of 3 nights. I certainly don't think I could only have 1-2 drinks a week even if I was only drinking one night a week. I don't regularly drink to the point where I'm falling down wasted, but if I'm going to bother drinking at all one night I'm gonna have enough drinks to get a decent buzz. Drinking 1-2 drinks with dinner would just be a waste of time.

I try to keep my calories minimized by drinking lite or ultra lite beer and using 0 calorie mixers when drinking liquor, but I know alcohol has a lot of negative effects on the body that have nothing to do with the added calories. I guess for now I'll just see how far I can progress without compromising that part of my lifestyle and if at some point I hit a wall with my lifting and I feel that it's more important to break through that barrier than it is to drink twice a week then I'll try taking a break from it for a little while and see how it goes.

Slim Schaedle
03-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. At this stage in my life the best I'm gonna be able to do is try to keep my drinking to only 2 nights a week instead of 3 nights. I certainly don't think I could only have 1-2 drinks a week even if I was only drinking one night a week. I don't regularly drink to the point where I'm falling down wasted, but if I'm going to bother drinking at all one night I'm gonna have enough drinks to get a decent buzz. Drinking 1-2 drinks with dinner would just be a waste of time.

I try to keep my calories minimized by drinking lite or ultra lite beer and using 0 calorie mixers when drinking liquor, but I know alcohol has a lot of negative effects on the body that have nothing to do with the added calories. I guess for now I'll just see how far I can progress without compromising that part of my lifestyle and if at some point I hit a wall with my lifting and I feel that it's more important to break through that barrier than it is to drink twice a week then I'll try taking a break from it for a little while and see how it goes.

This is a very mature response and very much contrasts what alot of people respond with when being presented with the fact that alcohol aint that great for lifting.

Very refreshing.