PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Repices

strongerfaster
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Everyone post how you make your can salmon

Keith
03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Canned salmon?

I cook my frozen salmon on the BBQ with lemon juice, olive oil and toss some Mrs. Dash original blend spices on top.

alex0131
03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
got a good tip, try a little brown sugar and bbq sauce on the george forman grill, its awesome!

killxswitch
03-26-2008, 09:34 AM
For grilled salmon, apply sea salt, ground pepper, and a bit of garlic powder, it's all you need. If you're good, remove the scales and apply to both sides. I can't do it without mutilating the fish flesh, so I leave it on (plus I actually don't mind the taste of the fat or whatever it is just inside the scales). Slap it on the grill with high heat to crisp the outside and leave the inside fairly rare. Yummo.

edit: this would be for fresh salmon, not canned. I'm not sure how you'd go about grilling canned, but it might be possible.

VikingWarlord
03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1617,158165-253204,00.html

EternalSearcher
03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks killxswitch, I'll have to try it.

nddillon
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
never tried this with canned salmon but I cook up wild caught salmon all the time

Start with just enough vegatable oil to coat some aluminum foil, place the salmon scales down. Top with spinach (the frozen kind preferably), and a mix of mustard, horseradish and previously boiled (soft) peppercorns. Cover with foil and back at 275 til internal temp is >170. Then pour in 2 oz. of dry white wine and let cover back up and turn the oven off but leave inside until ready to devour. Serve with cheap box white wine and a vitamin and a few almonds for desert.

The reason why such low temperature is because I normally do to the gym and then shower while my food is cooking

manowar669
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
With canned salmon, I squeeze out the extra water (like tuna), mix in an egg and italian seasoning. Form into pattys like a hamburger and cook like a hamburger. If they fall apart on you, breadcrumbs will help hold it together, but not everyone wants to add carbs. My fiancee eats them with ketchup. It's the only was she'll eat salmon, and she won't do fish oil caps because she says she gets fish burps.

FYI, Canned mackerel is cheaper, has more beneficial fat, and less mercury.

ArmandSV
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Salmon Puffs - Joy of Cooking – with some liberties

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Remove skin and bones, drain, then flake:

2 cups canned salmon

Add and stir lightly to blend:

˝ cup fresh bread crumbs

2 tablespoons grated onion

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon melted butter

Variation: add chopped red or green bell pepper to taste to above mixture

Season to taste

Beat together:

1 egg

˝ cup milk

Combine with salmon mixture. Place in 6 well-greased baking cups set in hot water. Bake for about 45 minutes. Unmold onto hot platter. Or, make mixture into patties and sauté. Serve with a Lemon or Horseradish Sauce
Lemon or Horseradish Sauce

Melt over low heat:

2 tablespoons butter

Add while still over low heat and stirring for 3 to 4 minutes until well blended:

1 ˝ to 2 tablespoons of flour

Stir in slowly:

1 cup milk, milk and light stock, light stock, or light stock and cream

Season to taste or vary with:

1 teaspoon lemon juice (more or less) or

1 teaspoon creamy horseradish (Trader Joe’s) (more or less) or

2 tablespoons chopped chives or

2 tablespoons chopped parsley or

Simmer and stir the sauce with a wire whisk until it has thickened and is smooth and hot. Combine it with other ingredients as it boils so that it will not become watery. For creamed dishes use about half as much sauce as there are solids.

ProLogic
04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I usually get it smoked.. Canned Salmon tastes like ass.

Jason Pegg
04-28-2008, 07:15 PM
For grilled salmon, apply sea salt, ground pepper, and a bit of garlic powder, it's all you need. If you're good, remove the scales and apply to both sides. I can't do it without mutilating the fish flesh, so I leave it on (plus I actually don't mind the taste of the fat or whatever it is just inside the scales). Slap it on the grill with high heat to crisp the outside and leave the inside fairly rare. Yummo.

edit: this would be for fresh salmon, not canned. I'm not sure how you'd go about grilling canned, but it might be possible.

EXACTLY how I do mine...2lbs a week worth!

Jason