PDA

View Full Version : Chicken breasts how to make them taste yum?

cujo1
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Man i hate chicken breasts they're so plain and :( . Can anyone give me any simple. Keyword being simple recipes for them before i place them in the oven.

zen
03-19-2008, 01:37 PM
marinate overnight in italian dressing, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce

cujo1
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
ps i forgot to mention im cutting so they can be recipies which include tonnes of cals.

Unreal
03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Garlic powder, salt, pepper is my staple.

Just pick a bunch of spices you like and put them on top. Simple and easy.

midee1
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I marinate in Olive oil, worcestershire, garlic and cajun spice. Throw them on the grill and they are tasty.

cujo1
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
i was thinking of marinating in various sauces however some of them are moderately high in carbs/sugar/ Does it matter as long as im within my cal and macros?

RedSpikeyThing
03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
i was thinking of marinating in various sauces however some of them are moderately high in carbs/sugar/ Does it matter as long as im within my cal and macros?

most of the marinade doesn't stay on the meat. I wouldn't even bother counting it. Check out Massive Cooking (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=235mass2) by John Berardi.

so_calmaxwell
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I like to broil/ steam them with broccoli, carrots, brown rice, and spinach. add peanuts for added fat and calories.. it keeps all the natural flavors. add dashes of your favorite spices if you feel like it. I never get sick of it this way....

I think the bbq is a pain in the a** unless you cooking for a crowd.

cujo1
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
ahh cool. You guys much appreciated one more thing red spikey thing. Suppose i add a sauce like nandos peri peri that you can now buy from the store and marinate with that do you still not count the calories etc.

RedSpikeyThing
03-19-2008, 08:42 PM
add dashes of your favorite spices if you feel like it.

small amounts of flavour are ok, but I'm a bigger fan of big and bold flavours. Instead of adding a little of everything, try adding a lot of one thing. You may be pleasantly surprised :)

ShockBoxer
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
A touch of spaghetti sauce goes a long way.

VikingWarlord
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Blackened Chicken Breast:

1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Preheat your broiler. Rub spice mix into boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Broil for 7-8 minutes per side. These are also good grilled over a medium flame.

I like cutting it up and putting it on a salad or eating it on its own with some steamed rice and broccoli.

ryuage
03-20-2008, 09:11 PM
today i took about 24 oz of chicken and used ms dash marinade and let it sit for 10 minutes. Stir fried it with some sweet onions, red and green bell peppers.... package of 10 taco sized mission low carb tortillas and filled each of them up along with a side of some salsa and fresh guacamole.

ProLogic
03-20-2008, 11:25 PM
today i took about 24 oz of chicken and used ms dash marinade and let it sit for 10 minutes. Stir fried it with some sweet onions, red and green bell peppers.... package of 10 taco sized mission low carb tortillas and filled each of them up along with a side of some salsa and fresh guacamole.

My mouth watered just by reading that :D

SW
03-21-2008, 06:22 AM
I sometimes will wrap them with some lettuce and some nice mexican hot sauce. just cut a chicken breast lengthwise and there you go!

Trevor M.
03-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Boiled chicken breast, olive oil, spices, and steamed veggies.

Simple, quick, healthy and tasty. What more do you want?

Jorge Sanchez
03-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I like to make a stir fry and throw in a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for each chicken breast. A handful of peanuts are also a nice touch since they add a little bit of crunch. Use whatever vegetables you like, but I suggest you include broccoli because it goes really well with the peanut butter.

VikingWarlord
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I like to make a stir fry and throw in a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for each chicken breast. A handful of peanuts are also a nice touch since they add a little bit of crunch. Use whatever vegetables you like, but I suggest you include broccoli because it goes really well with the peanut butter.

Almost a little Thai style there. I like it. I'd think the oil from the peanut butter would negate you having to add other oils.

Usually I'll do a stir fry with onions, snap peas (or snow peas if snap peas aren't available), green onion, bean sprouts, and mushrooms. I'm not sure how that mix would work with the peanut butter, but I'll have to give that one a shot sometime soon. Maybe today.

VikingWarlord
03-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot.

Poaching chicken breasts is great. You poach them correctly and they stay tender and store easily so you can grab them and do whatever you want in almost no time.

Shred and season them and turn them into burritos, cube them and throw them on a salad, pretty much anything you can think. Since cooking the meat is usually what takes longest, if you get some time to poach a few pounds of meat ahead of time, you can save yourself a lot of time later on.

foodist
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I often just cut them up, cook them in a pan with onions, veggies, then add soy sauce, garlic, and maybe a touch of "oyster sauce" and call it good. What im eating tonight. :)

Also i often use these chicken rubs, which are a mix of a bunch of good spices , and just throw them on.

But i like these other recipes here, love to see more :)

Fixxit
03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Basic Adobo (sp?)

OK this sound complex but it is really easy, even for those of you that may not like to cook. I can provide a simple version if you wish. Just shut up and try it! 8-P

1/2 cup white vinager
1/2 cup soy (kikomans low sodium) or homebrew (this is the flavor factor reduce/increase to taste. THE FIRST TIME YOU TRY THIS YOU MAY WANT TO BACK OFF THE SOY A BIT. Like 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup water
A fist full (umm ok like 20 leaves) of raw basil and/or spinach (the raw basil is a huge flavor factor here. Please don't use dried basil, use spinach and more sugar before you do that)
1/2 onion sliced thick (cause you want to taste it)
3-6 cloves garlic sliced thin (more is better right?)
1-4 tblspn brown sugar (This is a huge flavor factor in this recipe add more if you dont mind the carbs. Remember unless you reduce and use the sauce adding more sugar is not that big of a deal!)
Red pepper (cayenne) to taste (I like it hot!)
EXTRAS (if you can fit in pan): Mushrooms, red bell pepper...

Tightly cover and simmer as many breasts as you can fit in the pan (in a single layer) for 20 mins, then flip for another 10-20 mins or until done. Note: Don't touch the pan just let it simmer and don't touch! 8-)

The smell from this alone will drive you wild to eat! Be prepared to hear people ask, "OMG WTF is that? It smells soooo good!

EDIT: Sometimes if you find it cooking down too fast add more water (SLOWLY). You DO NOT want it to the consistancy of syrup. On that note: you can take and reduce the sauce left over for a very nice sauce if you don't mind the extra calories.

Also: I forgot to add... You need enough liquid to almost cover the breasts. Adjust to accommodate, but leave the 1:1:1 vinager:soy:water (again adjust soy to taste!)

Adaptations:
You can use any meat or protein for this recipe. From Tuna to Tofu. You just need to adjust cooking times to allow for "Doneness". With red meats I like to add more water and cook for very long time depending on fat content. For Tofu, I like to cut it in 1" cubes and fry it on all sides in Olive Oil till brown before adding to this (also simmer the sauce for about 20 mins before adding the tofu for another 10 mins).

------------
Another favorite:

1 cup rice (If you use wild rice cook it for 20 mins before adding to pan and add extra water as appropriate)
2 cups water
1/2 cup "Valentina Mexican Hot Sauce" (Salsa Picante) (it's like $1.50 1qt bottle) (this stuff has a very low sodium content)
4-5 chicken breasts (bone in or out. no matter. I prefer bone in)

In a big (7x11) pyrex dish add all and bake covered with foil for 30-45 mins at approx 350-375f. Be carefull not to over cook.

Adaptations: I add red bell pepper and sometimes some parmigiano reggiano, Onions and garlic... ohh my!

Questions? Ask!!

p.s. I have another one for chipotle burritos, but I have to dig in a box for that recipe. If you like these and, if I get a request for it. I'll go find it. A PM might help me find it faster. 8-P

r5gtt87
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
OTT lol

SAK
03-24-2008, 09:08 PM
mix honey and bit of orange juice and glaze chicken with it.
slice rest of orange and throw in baking pan w/ chicken.
bake.

Jacob
03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
whats OTT?

alex0131
03-25-2008, 07:50 PM
got a good tip on this. try taking garlic powder, put it in the pan, turn the heat up high for like 3 minutes, i know it smells like its burning but then put the chicken it, it rocks!