PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma...

Morox
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
First of all, here are my stats:

5'8" and 173 lbs sitting at 14% bf (measured with calipers)...

My bulk is at a halt due to the fact that I am completely sick of stuffing my face and I no longer want to do it anymore. Is it possible to eat completely clean/strict and stay at 170ish pounds and start to lean out?

azma
03-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Some say yes, others say no. If you do stay at the same weight while changing composition, you'll probably do it by staying at/around maintenance and continuing to lift heavy. Alternatively, you could cut for a month and come back to bulking when you're no longer sick of it, or bulk more slowly.

On another note, maybe you should take another look at what you want to achieve. If your goals are to get big, strong, and lean, are they worth giving up on because it's tough to eat enough? Before any flaming occurs, I should say that I felt exactly the same during a cut. After a week of eating maintenance, I thought about costs versus benefits, and I decided that I didn't want to be a fatass again. It's not easy to force your body to look better; it takes a lot of motivation, whether it be from partying with sexy women, whose bodies you might lustfully desire, or from watching Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron, whose body you might not-so-lustfully desire.

SMK41
03-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Well right now being 173 lbs @ 14% BF you have about 149 lbs of lean mass. If you can lift heavy and get enough protein on your cut so that you don't lose any muscle you only have to lose 8 lbs of fat which would put you at 165 lbs @ 10% BF (maintaining your 149 lbs lean mass). At 10% BF you should be pretty cut. If you can drop 2 lbs of fat a week and maintain all your lean mass you should be able to pull this off in a month.

Morox
03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions/opinions. I will post pictures once I get at the desired size. If it all fails, I will just bulk again since tolerance for food should come back.

Also, should I incorporate a lot of cardio? Or is this not necessary?

frank
03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
cardio is good for losing water weight if your cut and good for losing fat if your not. if you plan on losing weight i would do sprints, long distance running isnt necessary. maybe 1-2 times a week

Trevor M.
03-21-2008, 12:11 PM
cardio is good for losing water weight if your cut and good for losing fat if your not.
Haha - "cardio" does both regardless of whether your cut or not.

There are also many ways to encourage water weight loss. Simply restricting carbs (while calories remain roughly the same) out of the diet will often times cause a loss of 3-5 pounds fairly quickly in most people.
If calories remained the same none of that would be BLM of course.

if you plan on losing weight i would do sprints, long distance running isnt necessary. maybe 1-2 times a week

One or two bouts of sprints a week isn't going to be enough to encourage fat loss. The average sprint last about 8-10 seconds and most substrate utilization comes from ATP-PCr channels. A small increase in direct EPOC may occur, however this still wouldn't be enough to cause a solid calorie deficient state. Which is required to loose weight.

Both reduced calorie intake and increased calorie expenditure is suggested for someone trying to loose weight. In other words, eat less exercise more.

Simply saying go do some sprints while neglecting to mention the other portions of weight loss is not very exact.

frank
03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Haha - "cardio" does both regardless of whether your cut or not.

There are also many ways to encourage water weight loss. Simply restricting carbs (while calories remain roughly the same) out of the diet will often times cause a loss of 3-5 pounds fairly quickly in most people.
If calories remained the same none of that would be BLM of course.

One or two bouts of sprints a week isn't going to be enough to encourage fat loss. The average sprint last about 8-10 seconds and most substrate utilization comes from ATP-PCr channels. A small increase in direct EPOC may occur, however this still wouldn't be enough to cause a solid calorie deficient state. Which is required to loose weight.

Both reduced calorie intake and increased calorie expenditure is suggested for someone trying to loose weight. In other words, eat less exercise more.

Simply saying go do some sprints while neglecting to mention the other portions of weight loss is not very exact.

by sprints i mean suicides or shuttle runs with a rest between every 5 or 10
runs.