PDA

View Full Version : Grip Training Follow Up

Runty
03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
So I went ahead and purchased a #1 CoC trainer because I wasn't sure exactly how strong to start with. Turns out my right can close it all the way once with a bit of effort, and my left can almost close it. Would it be wise to step down and get the trainer for a bit, or should I just close it as far as possible over and over till I can get closed reps. My guess is get the trainer so I can practice using full ROM. I was also looking around on IronMind and saw those extensor bands they have. Going to get a set of those because we all know how much an imbalance can mess up your body.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

P.S. Saw a few of these on Ebay and the resale value is like 80% so it probably wouldn't hurt to get the trainer if even for just a few months.

Killa Kurt
03-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Get the trainer, I know it says low reps, but doing 1 rep consistently until you can close it for 5-8 to move up to the next gripper might take longer opposed to getting the trainer. Get the trainer hit your reps with that, and do singles with the #1 or negatives with them....you'll be closing that consistently in no time. I just got my order of the 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3....I'm going to start next week.

If you're trying to work on your grip for deadlifting, or any pulling exercise, then my suggestion is to do static holds. There isn't as much direct correlation between the crushers and barbell grip strength IMO.

Runty
03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Okay. Sounds like getting the trainer is the way to go then. Improving deadlift grip isn't the only reason for me getting the grippers. I enjoy doing them as I've had one of those crappy store brand ones for a while. Training is fun for me at or away from the gym so this is just one more thing to get stronger.

Kurt, do you ever use the little extensor bands they sell or is that not worth getting?? I think they are like $10 a set.

Killa Kurt
03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Okay. Sounds like getting the trainer is the way to go then. Improving deadlift grip isn't the only reason for me getting the grippers. I enjoy doing them as I've had one of those crappy store brand ones for a while. Training is fun for me at or away from the gym so this is just one more thing to get stronger.

Kurt, do you ever use the little extensor bands they sell or is that not worth getting?? I think they are like $10 a set.

Honestly I haven't been crush training like I used to, I just decided to get back into it and bought the real deals (Captains of Crush) I had BBing.com crushers before these. Like I said I'm going to start training again on it and eventually I'd like to close the #3. I'm not familiar with the bands or the pinky crushers or two finger crushers yet. I'm sure it's not gimmick and could probably bump your crushing strength if you had them though....CoC is the real deal.

thewicked
03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I've been using the grip tools that APT offers at prowriststraps.com for awhile now.. and love them. I have them from 150 which is ridiculous up to 300.

You can EASILY over train your grip especially if you do alot of deadlifting and work without straps as it is. I suggest training your grip just liek any other body part...no more than twice a week.

I'd work with the 200 for 6 sets of however many times I could close it twice a week until I could do it 15-20 times with each hand. I can now close it with 2 fingers in a span of 4 months. I'm working with the 250 now for 4 sets of ten twice a week....at this time that has made me be able to close the 300lb gripper twice with both hands. I've slacked back a litlte though.. my grip is starting to fatigue so I'm only using the gripper for a couple sets a week. You'll find out quick if you're making progress or not for sure! :D

other grip training things I like to do are barbell suitcase style pickups... basically deadlifts on the side with the barbell parallel to your body. I'm able to pick up 285lbs on a regular barbell on both sides training this way..plus it does wonders for y our core strength.

I'll take a 25 and 45lb plate and flip it in the air and catch it with the opposite hand back and forth.

If you take funky shaped rocks or bricks iwth sharp edges and do the same..that works well too.

..the last thing I'd recommend would be doing static holds with the heaviest weight you can hold for say about 10 seconds or maybe a litlte less..and just workingn on holding it progressively longer and longer.

garjagan
03-22-2008, 06:24 AM
I read a grip article explaining that M/E and D/E work is best. Do a speed day, wait 3 days, then do a maximum effort day. So I guess you'd need the trainer for one.

Sensei
03-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Get the trainer. You don't need to get the extensor bands - thick rubber bands will work just as well.

Detard
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
I made the mistake of buying the 1 and 2. I can close the 1 easily for a couple reps but not really even close on the 2. I shoulda got the trainer to do reps with.

Turino
03-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking about getting the CoC trainer and no.1 to work on my grip as well, because my deadlifts have been suffering alot recently due to my grip. When is the best time to get the grip training in? Should I work on it on my off-days or does it not really matter? I deadlift on Rippetoe's plan, so 1 or 2 times per week.

Klotz
03-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't bother getting the trainer if you're that close. Get a crappy sports store gripper for warming up and use your 1 for training.

Priest
03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
I would probably use the one and do low reps.

i also dig taking dumbells and gripping them from the side and try to do 30 second holds.

I also use an el gordo bar or a mastadon bar and do rack lockouts with them. with the fatter bar it makes you focus on grip more.

Viking_Power
05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
I just ordered the trainer... How much harder is it to close the trainer then an average gripper they sell at any store? I really am not too happy with my grip strength so I really hope these can help me out alot.