PDA

View Full Version : ** Basketball Player Trying to Gain Weight! **

flippin15
03-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey I have been trying to gain weight for years. I am currently 19 years old and I'm 6'2 and 165 lbs. At the moment I have "wirey" strength, and I'm pretty quick laterally so I don't want to lose any quickness. I play college basketball and this off season I really need to gain weight (Goal is 10-15 pounds)...

I know that eating is key to gaining weight, but what supplements will help me most? Creatine? Protein? I have a very tough weight lifting routine, so I just need to know what supplements will help me most...

Somebody please help!

Thanks in advance!

Klotz
03-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Don't worry about supplements. Just eat right and big.

Post your routine and your diet.

flippin15
03-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Diet: I have a very hard time keeping my intake of calories high (i have an extremely fast metabolism). I cannot eat huge meals, but I can snack all day long. I usually try to eat 3 meals with snacks in between each meal. I have tried gaining weight by simply eating a lot and working out but it has not worked! (Seems like my body just won't allow me to intake enough colories as I always feel sick to my stomach my overloading on calories).

Lifitng Routine:

Example: Monday is chest, biís, and triís; Wednesday is back, biís, and triís; Thursday is shoulders; and Friday is legs. We will always save legs for Friday so that you have the weekend to recover. Biís and triís is twice per week, and itís functional. Each workout you must go to failure.

DAY 1: Chest Day

Warm up with 25 pushups

Super set

1. Functional Press on Swiss ball (3X15; Pick a decently heavy weight. Rep #15 should be very difficult on each set)
2. Dips (3X12)

Super set

1. Wide Grip Pushups (3X30)
2. Flyís on Bench (3X12; Go slow)

Biís & Triís

1. Squatted curls (3X12; back always touching the wall)
2. Skull crushers (3X3X3X12)

Abís

DAY 2: Back Day

Super Set

1. Pullups (3X10; Last set do as many as you can)
2. Dumbbell rows (3X12)

1. Supine Pullups (3X10; body weight)
2. Wide grip lat pulldowns (3X15)

Biís and Triís

1. 7ís (3 sets)
2. Rope (3X20)

Abís

DAY 3: Shoulder Day

Super Set

1. Shoulder Press Standing Heavy (3X12)
2. Shoulder Raises (3X15)

1. Military Press Heavy (3X12)
2. 5 Series (3 sets) (5 of each x 7)
3. Ironman (3 sets; 60 seconds each)

DAY 4: Legs

1. Squat Pulses (3x15)
2. Squat Jumps (3x10)

1. Lunges (Sideline to Sideline)

2. Single Leg Jumps (3x10)
3. Scissor Kicks (3x10 each leg)

If you have any ideas or suggestions let me know! This is the summer that will make or break my college career!
Thanks in advance,

strongkid963
03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
try and not drink water, what I mean is always have calories in what you drink.
Juice and milk are good options when thirsty.

andrewnp
03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
you want weight? compound movements and good wholesome food.

add in your conditioning too, can't play ball if you are out of breath.

Klotz
03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Dude that's the worst routine I've ever seen.

235orbust
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Flippin15- I think you could add a whole lot more to your weight lifting routine. You are not going to see a lot or results with a routine as easy as that. I recommend WBB 1.1 for a plan, its a very good routine that will make sure you are doing that kind of work you need to do to to see results. The main thing is to create a habit so that you do not miss a lift, consistancy is key! give yourself 3 days that you can miss lifts over these next 5 months, Dont allow yourself to miss more than 3, if you do, you arent dedicated enough to really see results.

You are the perfect candidate for taking a weight gainer supplement. AtLarge offers a great weight gainer. Good luck

Hazerboy
04-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I was once in your situation. As a freshman in highschool, I was 5'9, 119 lbs. My sophmore year, i was 5'10, 130 lbs. My junior and senior years I decided to get dedicated. My junior year I figured out what the hell I was doing and put on 20 lbs (152) and My senior year I was 5'10, 171 lbs. And I wasn't fat. Currently I compete in powerlifting, as well as training whatever kids wanna train with me who go to my college. my best lifts are in my signature.

Now After a quick skim, here's what I found on "basketball for beginners:"

Weight lifting- Weight lifting is how you get stronger and faster. It will make you more athletic and along with improving your game scientifically it makes you look better also. Here is a workout to help you improve your game:
3 sets of 8-12 reps on bench press
3 sets of 8-12 reps on squats
3 sets of 8-12 reps on curls
3 sets of 8-12 reps on tricep extensions
3 sets of 8-12 reps on military press
In between sets take a 2-4 minute break
Do this three to four times a week and try and take a day break in between. After you first time doing this you will be sore! This is a good thing, it shows that you worked your muscles well.

Core training- This amps up everything. It makes you better all around. Other than this it gives you nice abs. Here is a workout that will help you:

20 reps of leg lifts
20 reps of reverse crunches
50 reps of bicycle
20 reps of crunches
20 reps of sit-ups
15 reps of full body crunches"

I wouldn't say that is is terrible advice (you could do worse...) but its certainly not good advice either. First, notice how he says that being sore "is a good thing, it shows that you worked your muscles well." This is outright wrong. Some people never get sore, some people get sore all the time. If anything, getting sore means that your body has done something its never done before. This could mean running a mile, lifting weights (both beneficial) or doing 1000 curls. This would certainly make you very, very sore, but it doesn't mean you "worked your muscles well."

Now, as for your routine, here is what I noticed: First, everything is very high reps. You can probably make gains on this if you eat enough (just like about any routine) but with your choice of excercises, you probably won't get much bigger. You're 6'2, 165 lbs - you don't need to be working individual muscles. Do that when you're 6'2, 250. Right now you need to be doing SQUATS, DEADLIFTS, BENCH PRESSES, ROWS, ETC. Large, compound movements that work many muscles at once. This will produce the nescessary testosterone and growth hormones that will make you bigger, along with eating.

Along with that, if you're an athlete you really shouldn't be doing such specialized excercises like you're doing anyways. Think about it: you don't play basketball with your "bi's and tri's" or your "chest" or your glutes, abs, or whatever-- you play ball with your WHOLE BODY. Train it that way by doing heavy compound movements.

I think 235orbust has given you some great advice already. Look into wannabebig 1 (a routine you can find on this site: wannabebig.com ) and a weight gainer supplement, something with a lot of calories. Now, as for your claim that can't eat enough: I've probably heard this 50 times from new trainees. I also hear this alot from the skinny kids that I train: "I already eat a lot, I just have a fast metabolism." You have a fast metabolism when you're going to the buffet 3 times a day, eating until you puke, going through a whole bag of trail mix, 40 oz of whole milk, gobs of peanut butter and cottage cheese before bed, and you still don't gain a pound. Do that for two months, then you can tell me you have a fast metabolism. Kids who tell me this who I train with come with me to the dining hall for a week straight. They eat what i eat. In between meals, they eat what I eat. I had one kid do this with me and he put on 10 lbs of muscle in three weeks. The others just wussied out.

My point? you're still not eating enough. If you're lazy, get a weight gainer.

Finally, I can send you the basic routine I've designed for beginners (its not really an original work... more like I just stole stuff from this sight over the years and condensed it) if you want, that has put some solid mass on my training buddies in the past few months. I would recommend either doing that or trying wannabebig 1 - in the beginning, the routine doesn't really matter too much, just as long as you're doing compound movements and eating a lot.