PDA

View Full Version : Nitrean vs Opticen vs Maximus

SMK41
03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
I was wondering what the real difference is between Nitrean, Opticen, and Maximus besides how many calories/grams of protein you get in a shake. I have a few questions.

1) Are any of them better for PWO than the others or are they all about the same?

2) Would a shake with 2 scoops of Nitrean (220 cal/48g protein) be pretty much the same as a normal Opticen shake (323 cal/52g protein) or does Opticen have some other added benefits I'm not aware of?

3) Would adding extra stuff to increase the calories into an Opticen shake make it comparable to Maximus?

Here's why I'm asking.

My brother wants to start working out and he's SCRAWNY. He's 6'4 and about 165. I'm starting him with the Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine, but he has a ridiculous metabolism so I already told him he's going to have to eat a ton to gain weight. I want to get him to add 2 shakes a day into his diet. Probably one in the morning and one PWO. He doesn't want to spend a ton of money though. Nitrean is the cheapest option per gram of protein, but I'm assuming Opticen or Maximus would be better suited for him. I'm thinking about having him take either Maximus or Opticen in the morning and then doing either 2 scoops of Nitrean or a normal serving of Opticen PWO. I'll probably have him make each shake with 2 cups of whole milk for extra calories and protein. Does this sound ok?

4) Is there a major benefit to using Maximus vs Opticen as a morning shake?

5) Is there a major benefit to using Opticen vs Nitrean x 2 PWO?

Lones Green
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM
nitrean- protein powder. basically a straight protein blend. does not contain any carb source like malodextrin. has the simplest of the atlarge protein matrixes, although this matrix is better than any other matrix out there.

opticen- meal replacement shake. contains some carbs, and a little fat. this is good for a post workout shake, seeing as it has carbs + protein. the matrix in this has more protein sources than nitrean.

MAXIMUS- weight gain powder. lots of carbs, and some fat. high calorie. same matrix as opticen. also contains microlactin, flax, and inulin. same matrix as opticen. this would be the best option for gaining weight

thats pretty straight forward. hate to be a d*** but i just basically summarized whats on the site. just read the nutrition facts and descriptions on the site, man.

HahnB
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I wouldnt say maximus is "high calorie", it only has 10 more calories a scoop than nitrean. What does he consider "a ton of money"? Maximus is the best tasting weight gainer I've tried. Go with that if he can afford it.

SMK41
03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I wouldnt say maximus is "high calorie", it only has 10 more calories a scoop than nitrean. What does he consider "a ton of money"? Maximus is the best tasting weight gainer I've tried. Go with that if he can afford it.

Well I gave him the prices per month of each thing if he does 1 serving per day and Maximus is $75 per month and he thought that was way too much. Doing 2 scoops of Nitrean a day is about $40 a month and he said he thinks he could do that. But it sounds like if he is only going to use one product it should be Maximus.

I think what I might have him do for now is get Maximus and just use it once a day PWO but only do 4 scoops instead of 5. That will get him 25 servings out of one contrainer instead of 20 and 4 scoops of Maximus is still 462 cal and 47g protein (5 scoops is 616 cal and 62g protein). That breaks down to only $2 per serving, so $60 per month. Then hopefully after a month or so once he starts getting into lifting and really understands the value of this stuff, I can convince him to buy either some Nitrean or Opticen too.

bjohnso
03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Real food is cheaper than protein powder.

chris mason
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Real food is cheaper than protein powder.

Not necessarily. Try again.

chris mason
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM

No, that would be roughly 13 and that would equate to about 12% which is a significant number. As carbs and protein have the same per gram caloric content, the variance is in the fats.

I agree, go with MAXIMUS.

HahnB
03-24-2008, 08:21 PM
No, that would be roughly 13 and that would equate to about 12% which is a significant number. As carbs and protein have the same per gram caloric content, the variance is in the fats.

I agree, go with MAXIMUS.

I think it's a good thing that maximus has the calorie content it does. Anything more would be filler calories, much like the other weight gainers on the market that are mostly sugar calories.

chris mason
03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I think it's a good thing that maximus has the calorie content it does. Anything more would be filler calories, much like the other weight gainers on the market that are mostly sugar calories.

Yep. That is why I formulated the way I did. I wanted it to be better than the rest of the pack.

rdkraus
03-26-2008, 06:44 AM
I've been very happy with Maximus from both a taste and results
standpoint. And I'm one of those hardgainer, scrawny types.

Lones Green
03-26-2008, 06:59 AM
i'd go with maximus as well. mix it into 2 shakes a day with whole milk and you've got a lot of protein and cals.