PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Video Advice

garjagan
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
This is really a lower back issue. This is my heaviest deadlift (180kg) and I know form isn't always completely strict with M/E lifts - but looking at this I cant work out how badly my lower back is rounding - at the top of my spine, hell yes, but I cant quite tell if the lower portion of my spine is unhealthily rounded. I know the angle isn't dead side on but can people give their opinions from this? (I know I lent back too far at the top).

5uAETTyyPbc

SGT ROCK
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
From what I saw, your form wasnt as horrible as you think. Try the following:

WEAR SHORTS WITH BABY POWDER

THIS ONE IS MOST IMPORTANT: KEEP THE BAR IN CLOSER!
it should drag the shins the whole time

TURN YOUR FEET OUT A BIT MORE DURING SET UP

CONTINUE KEEPING HEAD UP

TRY TO KEEP HIPS DOWN JUST A BIT MORE AT THE START

TAKE A VIDEO OF YOUR CONVENTIONAL....LOOKS LIKE YOU MAY BE SUITED FOR IT.

Semper Fi

Ryan Celli
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
As Rock said you need to try and keep the bar up against your shins. your start looks good but as you pull the bar rolls away from your shins then back in.

Your lock out is ok, but i think your hyper-extending too much at the top end. all you need to do is lock your hips and knees, stand straight up.

Your decent is horrific! You need to control the bar on the way down, in a sanctioned competition that would not have been passed. learn control and try to set the bar back down in a slower controlled manner.

SGT ROCK
03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah what he said lol! I forgot about the descent....bend your knees and let it down under control, not super slow mo but slow. As Ryan said....you do NOT need to hyperextend at the top portion, merely have shoulders ERECT.

Semper Fi

chris mason
03-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Good advice guys!

Garjagan, just for reference, both Sgt Rock and Ryan are world class powerlifters and great deadlifters. You have two of the very best critiquing your lift. You know, it makes me smile when I think about that. I really wish I had a resource like this site when I was a younger lifter and am glad to have it now.

Chris

deeder
03-24-2008, 10:50 PM
If you're going to continue pulling sumo you need to learn to 'squeeze' the bar off the floor instead of trying to yank it like you do in that video. You lose tightness and your hips shoot up immediately the way you are doing it now.

garjagan
03-25-2008, 03:35 AM
From what I saw, your form wasnt as horrible as you think. Try the following:

WEAR SHORTS WITH BABY POWDER

THIS ONE IS MOST IMPORTANT: KEEP THE BAR IN CLOSER!
it should drag the shins the whole time

TURN YOUR FEET OUT A BIT MORE DURING SET UP

CONTINUE KEEPING HEAD UP

TRY TO KEEP HIPS DOWN JUST A BIT MORE AT THE START

TAKE A VIDEO OF YOUR CONVENTIONAL....LOOKS LIKE YOU MAY BE SUITED FOR IT.

Semper Fi

I'll pay more attention to keeping the bar closer to my shins, I do tend not to think about that. And I'll also think about lowering my hips a bit and pointing my feet out more. Perhaps as you suggest I should try some conventional and see how I get on with that. Thanks for the advice.

As Rock said you need to try and keep the bar up against your shins. your start looks good but as you pull the bar rolls away from your shins then back in.

Your lock out is ok, but i think your hyper-extending too much at the top end. all you need to do is lock your hips and knees, stand straight up.

Your decent is horrific! You need to control the bar on the way down, in a sanctioned competition that would not have been passed. learn control and try to set the bar back down in a slower controlled manner.

I realize I hyperextended too much, it's something I've been called out for before so I really should know better. As for setting the bar down - cheers for letting me know - as soon as I get to my max lifts I just drop it, not good! Cheers.

Good advice guys!

Garjagan, just for reference, both Sgt Rock and Ryan are world class powerlifters and great deadlifters. You have two of the very best critiquing your lift. You know, it makes me smile when I think about that. I really wish I had a resource like this site when I was a younger lifter and am glad to have it now.

Chris

Chris, I am aware SGT ROCK is a professional (and now Ryan too) - so believe me when I say this, I do not take this stuff for granted! It's great that I can post a vid of myself lifting and get attention and advice from world class individuals virtually instantly. I'm really grateful for this and I can see why you wish you'd had such a resource when you were younger and starting out.

If you're going to continue pulling sumo you need to learn to 'squeeze' the bar off the floor instead of trying to yank it like you do in that video. You lose tightness and your hips shoot up immediately the way you are doing it now.

Like the hyperextention thing, someone has told me about yanking the bar so I really should know better. But it makes more sense the way you explain it. Cheers.