PDA

View Full Version : A New Chapter

SW
03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Muay Thai. At the end of my previous journal, I told you guys that I was starting it and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Since it takes a lot of dedication and hard work and focus, I will start with Muay Thai, and BJJ will come later.
Yesterday was my first 2 hour session. Easter. I guess in the years to come it will be easy to tell people how long I've been doing this.
I will be training Sundays and Tuesdays, 2 hour sessions apiece at the Academy. Most other days I will be working on katas on my own and working out/getting in good cardio shape.
I am 250 lbs, and when I start to actually fight I will be in the light heavyweight division, 205. I'm not sure if I will have to lose some muscle to get that low, but we'll see. I'm watching my diet very carefully.
Muay Thai is the martial art I've wanted to do my whole life but where I grew up it was impossible. Now I have all the things I need to do it, and I plan on working as hard as possible. Put all that muscle and experience I gained thru some good people on this board's advice to some awesome use.

There are some guys there who could literally smash my ribs with one kick, and I am learning as much as possible from them. I hurt everywhere from things I had to do, like I started off with the 1st kata 50 times per side (kicking with a diff leg). Then the work started, hitting a person with pads, then them hitting/kicking me. That's a workout on it's own when the dude doing it resembles a "killing machine".
I am more motivated about this than anything else in my life. I have lost 10lbs in the past couple of weeks in preparation. Count on me losing a lot more. Half the muscles in my body hurt form kicking and punching over and over. I skinned both my fist's knuckles, but had gloves on the whole time. I love this!
The one thing that stood out to my teacher yesterday was that he kept commenting on my "heavy hands" initially I thought this was bad, like "heavy feet" (which i do have, and it's my biggest weakness right now. I most like a rhino). He let me know that I can hit pretty hard for an extended period of time. He had me do a very simple 3 punch combo, jab, overhand right, left hook until I literally couldn't hold my hands in front of my face anymore. And if for some reason I didn't have my hands above my chin before and IMMEDIATELY after my punch, he'd go ahead and pop me lightly.

Like I said, I'm terminally obsessed already.

dblockspky
03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Sounds great man. Are there Muay Thai meets like the ones for Karate and Tae Kwon Doe? Sounds like it would be interesting. Good luck.

SW
03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Sounds great man. Are there Muay Thai meets like the ones for Karate and Tae Kwon Doe? Sounds like it would be interesting. Good luck.

Thanks bro. Yes, there are tournaments and such. I won't do any of that for a while, but I will be the best fighter I can be. Who knows, one day mma? That's in the not so near future though.

Jinkies
03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey man how do you feel about grip strength as far as BJJ goes.

I havn't fought in a while but im about to get into as soon as powerlifting is over and was considering getting some grippers.

SW
03-25-2008, 06:19 AM
I've never participated in a BJJ class, but IMO I'd have to say it's very important.
I've had grippers but quit using them b/c I used to lift on so many bars almost every day my grip became quite strong without them.

Muay Thai tonight, I think I get to meet the head guy who teaches it too.

Coke
03-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Off to an impressive start in there, picking things up quick.

mickyjune26
03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
This stuff sounds pretty cool. Maybe you can get some video recordings up sometime? Keep up the good work. In many ways this will be harder than lifting, but you can def do it!

KevinStarke
03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Best of luck man looking forward to seeing how you do.

SW
03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
mickey--i was trying for some pics but my friend who has the mp3 to put pics online let some fool borrow it, and if there are any vids ever for sure you will see them

Starke--long time no talk bro. Hit me up.

Last night was amazing, did 100 kicks per side on a bag, the coach tells me I have really powerful punches/kicks, wants to develop me a lot though.
We did some crazy plate work outs, some punch, kick combos, and atthe end I managed to hyper extend my right thumb with a 25lb plate. It's fine though.
I will be sparring tomorrow night for the first time. That should be interesting. I"m getting in much better shape, that's for sure. I'll give you guys a weight update soon too. Not much time right now, I"ll prob post again tonight.

Chubrock
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Keep your chin down and your hands up. Breathe. You'll be fine.

SW
04-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Thanks Chubbs, that's good advice I've had to use.

I've had 2 session lately, but been too lazy to post them. They are brutal, and always full contact with a partner, no individual work at all. Last session was...
With a partner who had forearm pads, we'd jab with our left, kick them in the stomach to push them back, stepping thru the kick (not actually hurting them, but you get it).
Then they'd hold the pads mid range and to their left, then i'd kick with my right. Repeat each side, 2 5 min rounds apiece.
Important note here. Holding the pads and absorbing the shock caused by someone kicking you full force over and over also is very wearing. Point is you're getting a workout either way.
After each partner had had 2 5 min rounds, we did a drill where we'd clinch the other guy, knee him twice in the guts/chest (they held the forearm pads together here. Supposed to simulate slamming knees to face I believe). 1 per knee for a total of 2. Then we'd step out, pulling the other person in the clinch still, then do it again. 2 5 min rounds here.
I should mention you get a 1 minute break between rounds here, and 2 min between rounds when you switch guys.
The last thing we did was left jab, then two rapid kicks with proper form (and hard or you get hit with this foam bat about the head) with your right leg, then switch hands and legs. 3 5 min rounds per guy. I thought i would die b/c we had to go 100% or else.
I love it.

Coke
04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Sounds awesome man, no doubt the conditioning aspect is outrageous and will do a world of good.

WBBIRL
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
He jabs you when you let your hands down to let you know thats a big mistake. When you throw a punch, no matter what your doing, you keep the hand your not swinging with infront of your face. If they try to counter and your hand is up, that leaves them open for a power shot. Let one rip from your power hand if you counter their counter and still keep that other hand up.

SW
04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around the truth is I had some unexpected expenses and couldn't afford the gas (embarassing, but true) to go across the city 3 times per week for Muay Thai, so I have to wait until early next month ( a few days) to start back up. Don't want anybody to think I quit!