PDA

View Full Version : Salads and Vegetables

Jane
03-18-2002, 04:46 PM
I had a couple of questions for all those who eat salads/veggies on a regular basis.

1. How often do you buy vegetables? How do you keep them fresh?
2. Is there any way to wash veggies and/or lettuce ahead of time and maybe even cut them and store them without losing a lot of vitamins and drying them out?
3. Any other time saving tips?

Thanks! :)

Blood&Iron
03-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Jane

Yeah. Use frozen or canned vegetables.:D Taste like crap, but they get the job done.

Tryska
03-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Jane
I had a couple of questions for all those who eat salads/veggies on a regular basis.

1. How often do you buy vegetables? How do you keep them fresh?
2. Is there any way to wash veggies and/or lettuce ahead of time and maybe even cut them and store them without losing a lot of vitamins and drying them out?

well lately i've been hitting off the salad bar near my gym, because it's been conveneint, but what i usually do is this:

buy 1 bag pre-chopped romain or a romain raddichio blend, and one bag pre-chopped field greens (stay away from any of the blends containing iceberg, as iceberg goes bad real quick)

1 bag baby carrots
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 red onion
1 red bell; 1 green bell

and whatever other little vegies or fruits i might wanna add (berries, radishes cucumber, that kinda thing)

all this stuff will keep in the fridge for a week, and the pre-chopped lettuse is actually afer then head lettuce as it's been triple washed.

then i just grab and compile. and put those little chip clip thingies ont he various bags.

Tryska
03-18-2002, 05:25 PM
oh....umm....i dice off bits of onion and bell pepper as i need them. i found with the bells, if you just whack them on the counter to break loose that center core and break apart the pepper into chunks, it keeps longer then if you slice it all neat. not sure why, but it does.

Jane
03-18-2002, 05:28 PM
so you can eat the triple washed lettuce without washing it again?

Tryska
03-18-2002, 05:47 PM
yup.

trust me..as anal retentive as i am about pesticides and slamonella and whatnot, i'm okay with it.

(actually i read in natrual health magazine that that was the best kind to buy and eat straight)

the doc
03-18-2002, 06:37 PM
i eat it straight out of the bag

ericg
03-18-2002, 08:25 PM
dont you love the wax on those apples!! yum