PDA

View Full Version : Bench foot placement

Invain
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I think I remember this being talked about before, but I can't remember. When I bring my legs back and arch my back, should my feet be far apart, or close together. I have pretty short legs and when getting a good high arch on the benches I use right now my feet are almost touching under the bench. If I tried to spred them wide I probably wouldn't touch the ground.

Is it also ok to touch with my toes, or is it better for leg drive to have the whole bottom of your foot on the ground. Again, with my short legs, I can only touch with my toes when arching my back, and the problem with this is my feet sometimes slip a little.

Xellarz
03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
I believe generally, they recommend feet being far apart. It gives you a much better base for "steering" a heavy load. I think it's fine to touch with just your toes, although some federations require the entire foot to be on the ground. Most federations allow a plate to be placed under your feet if you want.

However, I don't understand how you could possibly have a problem getting your feet to the ground. I am 5'8" also...but I have the leg length of an average 5'0" tall man...I have really short legs...and I don't have any problem getting my feet to the ground while arching.

drew
03-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Try to get your feet out. If you have to be up on your toes, really try to drive your heels down into the ground when you press. Work on your hip flexibility and remember to get your hips up (so your balls are down toward the bench) and your shoulders down under you. This will help you keep your arch and get your feet down.

Ryan Celli
03-27-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm 5'6" and also find most benches are too high for me to get my feet flat. I have a Forza and have to use a 1 1/2" mat under my feet in order to make them flat. I personally feel more grounded when my feet are flat on the floor, and I suggest you use some plates or mats to build up a platform for your feet if you can't get your feet flat on the floor.

Whether your feet are in close or out wide is a tough call, if you have a video I might be able to help you more on that one. I have some arched benchers with their feet out wide and some tucked in close to the bench. You want to try a few positions and see for yourself what feels better. I see most wide stance benchers bench on their toes when they are set up with their feet tucked back towards their head.

The rules of the USPF say your feet must be flat on the floor. At my last USPF competition they had 3 different size plywood platforms for your feet if you needed them. I choose the middle size one and it ended up being too much. As I drove with my legs my butt came up and I got called for it.
OC8ImBiRr4s

Here is a video of how I typically have my feet positioned. Sorry, it's a little long.
77dY9Kr2ks4

Invain
03-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I might try putting my feet on some plates.