PDA

View Full Version : Swimming? does it help?

timmins
03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi,

I am pretty decent swimmer, used to love going swimming when I was younger, kinda grew out of it all tho - especially with not having confidence and then meeting a women, you kind of fall back - think you dont need the confidence then it all goes to pot...

Anyways - its 8yrs on since I met the love of my life, yes I was 15 when I met her, split up with her 9 months ago - killed me but its made me really want to turn life around and get back into things :)

So - if im building up weight, to then bulk & cut for the summer or next year - will swimming help me as a secondary exercise?

I will be doing the gym on Mon/Wed/Fri and hope to do swimming either before or after my workouts (the gym ill be using has its own pool) - BUT would it be of a better advantage to go swimming as freely as possible? like when im not at the gym - will it help me build up more and tone up etc etc.

Just some tips please people - my gym partner is fit enough to do swimming so i want to crack on straight away, weights will be a week & half or so, if his wrist / hand hasnt recovered by then, ill find another gym partner until it has.

Advice people would be appreciated :)

Runty
03-31-2008, 04:17 AM
Swimming is a great way to stay in good cardiovascular shape. I'm not sure exactly what your asking here but in my opinion swimming is better than running or biking for cardio because it's a full body exercise and has less/no impact on your joints (compared to running specifically). Try doing some HIIT with it too and you should see great results. Swim 1 length full speed then coast for a length and repeat.

timmins
03-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Swimming is a great way to stay in good cardiovascular shape. I'm not sure exactly what your asking here but in my opinion swimming is better than running or biking for cardio because it's a full body exercise and has less/no impact on your joints (compared to running specifically). Try doing some HIIT with it too and you should see great results. Swim 1 length full speed then coast for a length and repeat.

Thanks for the info Rusty.

My main reasons for asking: My Gym has its own Pool and I would love to use it for the right reasons, im not keen on running or biking, I wouldnt get much time for it - but Swimming I would as its there waiting for me at my gym.

Now - HIIT - what is this? i've heard tons about it, but dont have a clue what it means, is it some sort of high intense training lol - don't mean to sound stupid but I don't have a clue...

Thankyou for your answer so far, your being a great help.

the doc
04-03-2008, 07:01 AM
yes i'd recommend the HIIT/sprinting technique mentioned above. I wouldn't spend much on the long distance swims

timmins
04-03-2008, 07:03 AM
yes i'd recommend the HIIT/sprinting technique mentioned above. I wouldn't spend much on the long distance swims

this is good information guys.

the pool at the gym isnt big, its only small so one length would dead easy and long distance would take so much longer with going back and forth.

Runty
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
HIIT is high intensity interval training. It means you go real high intensity for one interval, then low-moderate for another, and repeat. Most people that recommend it do anywhere from 10-20 minutes and from what I hear people see results that rival or even better traditional medium intensity long duration workouts. Since you're in a pool, it might be easier to gauge based on laps instead of minutes so try doing 10 fast, 10 slow at first. You'll be surprised after 8-9 lengths at high intensity at how long a "short" pool can get.

When I first tried it with sprinting I thought for sure it was going to be easy. **** rocked my world. Plus, it's more explosive training so you actually get faster while getting conditioned.

Killa Kurt
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Swimming would be good for GPP. Keep your soreness down big time.

timmins
04-04-2008, 02:50 AM
HIIT is high intensity interval training. It means you go real high intensity for one interval, then low-moderate for another, and repeat. Most people that recommend it do anywhere from 10-20 minutes and from what I hear people see results that rival or even better traditional medium intensity long duration workouts. Since you're in a pool, it might be easier to gauge based on laps instead of minutes so try doing 10 fast, 10 slow at first. You'll be surprised after 8-9 lengths at high intensity at how long a "short" pool can get.

When I first tried it with sprinting I thought for sure it was going to be easy. **** rocked my world. Plus, it's more explosive training so you actually get faster while getting conditioned.

Thanks for that piece of info, that's cleared things up for me - swimming it is then :)

Swimming would be good for GPP. Keep your soreness down big time.

Aye im hoping it will help me with this sort of problem, since Ive only been working out a short time - my muscles tend to feel it alot more, also without using supplements like Creatine - I dont have much to give me that last push (as people say thats what it does)... Bring on the swimming - cant wait.

ThomasG
04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Ive always been pretty good at sports in general, but for some reason I've always sucked ass at swimming. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/xtgrovex/fyi.gif

JonTheFisher
04-06-2008, 02:22 AM
i swam 4-5 miles 5 days per week after a 1.5 mile jog after working out all last summer. got super cut.