PDA

View Full Version : Paying for my own stupidity

nejar462
03-26-2008, 09:40 AM
So yesterday I did a number of stupid things while squatting.

A) I got to the gym late and, in an epic moment of stupidity, did not stretch out properly.

B) I did not warm up properly. Which, compounded with the not stretching, was even dumber.

C) I took last week off, and haven't don't back squats for over a few months (been working on front squats).

D) I was on relatively light weight, and not taking it seriously (275 lb) and just shooting down quickly and coming up. On my third rep, I leaned forward slightly at the very bottom of my lift, (head wasn't up), while going down a bit more than I'm used to.

Anyway, I heard a funny sound out of my hip, and still managed to finish the lift. I stumbled away from the rack in an extreme amount of pain. Barely able to walk. I sat off to the side and walked around and tried to stretch for about an hour before going home.

It was a VERY painful night sleep. In the morning, I had even more pain. I took the day off from work and went back to bed. I felt much better after waking up, and other than having a slight pain in my back which I think I can work through while stretching, I think I'm ok to get back to my schedule tomorrow (cutting out some lifts which might strain my back).

So I've been lifting since I was 14, 8 years running now. I almost always have discipline to stretch out and warm up effectively and treat every lift as its serious (I had a friend who could max out near 400 lbs almost get hurt with 135, so I know it doesn't take a lot to hurt you). So I've never been even close to getting hurt while lifting. However, I was distracted yesterday, did not take everything seriously, and almost suffered some VERY dire consequences.

Luckily I think I should be able to work through this completely in about a week, and I only need to take one day off from work. I think I learned a VERY valuable lesson yesterday, and, like most idiots, I had to learn it the hard way, but at least I didn't have to learn it, THE VERY hard way. Hell, I might be squatting with light weights Friday if everything works out well.

killxswitch
03-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Any time you can hear your hip, something bad has happened.

Wolverine
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Ouch!

Runty
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Hopefully it heals quickly but only time will tell. Be extra careful the next time you squat, especially at the depth where your hip popped.

nejar462
03-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the support.

Right now, I feel ten times better. While I was running through some errands, I decided to get a quick 20 minute massage which really hit the sport. Sadly, the guy was Asian and didn't understand, "Focus on my lower back" but still I felt better.

I even went for a jog, so I think I should be well on my road to recovery.

Lesson to everyone, treat every lift with respect, and make sure to warm up and stretch out properly.

joey54
03-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Hope your recovery is a quick one. Good luck.