PDA

View Full Version : 24 Fitness' Bodybugg, your thoughts?

JSully
03-26-2008, 02:21 PM
SO,

I've been contemplating getting this for some time and I was curious to see if anyone else had this or if anyone else had researched this further and had comments on the subject. I ran a search and there is another thread on it, but only 3 total posts. This product is a bit older now, so I wonder if more people on this board have used it.

For those of you who don't know what this is:::

http://www.24hourfitness.com/training/bodybugg/

It is a gadget you wear on your arm like a MP3 player. It costs $229.99 and 24 hour fitness wil set it up for you. You get a 2 month trial membership and it is $9/month afterwards. Once purchased, 24 hour fitness sets it up and gets you an account. You can load the software on your computer at home. Much like Fitday.com, it has a large database of foods and you can select what you're eating each day.

Now, the interesting part. As I stated, you wear it on your arm like a MP3 player. It uses super sonic extra sweet technology to actually calculate how many calories you burn in a day. It figures out calories burned while doing nothing, while walking around, while doing cardio, while working out, etc. It shows you a 24 hour clock (if you wear it 24 hours) and there is a graph showing exactly when you burned x amount of cals and even breaks down how many cals/minute you burn in a given time.

The guy at the gym was explaining it to me last night (though this is not the first person I've talked to about it) and he was telling me how nice it was. How much easier it makes bulking/cutting/maintaining since you know what your maintenance calories are all the time. You enter your foods eaten and at the end of the day, plug it into the computer and it tells you how above or below your calories burned for the day are.

It looks pretty sweet. Not sure about the $$ though, plus a monthly membership..

Comments/discussion?

Notorious
03-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I have nothing to back this up, but it just seems like this would be really inaccurate. I wouldn't trust it, let alone pay that much money for it. Even if it is accurate, fitday/eyeballing are nearly as effective and are free :)

CrazyK
03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Really cool invention if it works but people have been meeting their goals with out it just fine for a pretty long time now. No need to be that exact imo.

Unreal
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
There is a big thread on Lyle's board about the body bugg. Check it out.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21686

Slim Schaedle
03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah Lyle said it would be ok for a one time deal to see where you are at, ....at least I think that's what he said.

MrWebb78
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
seems like it would contribute to being overly anal about calorie counting

Slim Schaedle
03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
seems like it would contribute to being overly anal about calorie counting

I agree.

I once plugged a bunch of daily activites into fitday, and consequently upped my caloric intake (while cutting) still maintaining a caloric deficit on paper.

Yeah,.... I didn't lose any fat during that time.