PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn power cleans

BFGUITAR
03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I really want to learn how to do these, I tried some today but couldn't get the hang of it (obviously). I know I need practice but unfortunately I don't have a coach who can show me the ropes and instead have to rely on the internet and some buddies who can somewhat do it.

I find that I can read all I want about it but I still won't get the hang of it perfectly. Anyone know how I can learn to do these lifts? Perhaps even hire someone for a session?

Notorious
03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd also be interested in this. My form is 10x better than the highschool football team's, but probably 10x worse than any Oly lifter's :(

Fuzzy
03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Dont do cleans.

Do Olympic clean grp pulls instead.

There is no point with you messing around trying to rack the weight if you do not master the hip extension and shrug first.

When you are correctly extending your hips you will make contact with the bar with your quads, due enough cleans in a session and you will bruise.

This picture doesnt do it justice.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/big_fuzzy/IMG000071.jpg

Look around youtube for videos of clean pulls, but basically think of this like a speed deadlift, you know that feeling in the glutes when you contract them so hard and the bar just flys up, you want to push that momentum even further.

...and dont forget to shrug the **** out of it to.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc73/kevbw14/clean1-1.gif

CleverName
03-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Like Fuzzy said, watch good Olympic lift videos over and over and over. It took me months to get to a form that I consider somewhat decent, but I know that it's still not anywhere near as good as it could be. Once you're able to do them well you'll be happy you started doing them. :D

Here's a pretty good post that might help you learn on your own: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4378183

garjagan
03-27-2008, 03:47 AM
Im also trying to teach myself and after many many efforts, Im gradually getting better. I found filming myself and constantly watching as many vids of the lift as possible (good & bad versions) has helped.

But like Fuzzy said, breaking the lift down and practising the various parts individually seems to be the best way - that's what I've read. This t-natino artice goes through the stages of the hang claen and has some helpful advice.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1014931

BFGUITAR
03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys! I will look in to it.

Guido
03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Fuzz's explanation is good.

Hey, Fuzz, is that you in the vid?

Fuzzy
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Fuzz's explanation is good.

Hey, Fuzz, is that you in the vid?

Sure is.

thewicked
03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
practice practice practice! I'd use a bar and REALLY light weight or fake plates even to get the movement and fluidity of hte motion down before attempting any sort of weight. It's not just one thing or another that makes a smooth clean, it's a shrug, deadlift, upright row, and curl all rolled into one it seems. I wouldn't suggest using y our deadlift grip..i'd use your push press/overhead press grip on this one...

Fuzzy
03-29-2008, 08:22 PM
practice practice practice! I'd use a bar and REALLY light weight or fake plates even to get the movement and fluidity of hte motion down before attempting any sort of weight. It's not just one thing or another that makes a smooth clean, it's a shrug, deadlift, upright row, and curl all rolled into one it seems. I wouldn't suggest using y our deadlift grip..i'd use your push press/overhead press grip on this one...

'Bar and really light weight' is avtually a pretty stupid idea. it doesnt help or do much, there is not enough weight to pull against to force your body into the right position.

Focus on the hip extension with 40-60% of your dead. bring the hips in, shrug, and keep the bar close.

Runty
03-30-2008, 04:18 AM
As a firm believer in the idea of form over weight I'm with Wicked on this. However, for powercleans specifically I'm with Fuzzy. I've tried powercleans with just the bar and you can't get the feel for it without a decent amount of resistance. Also, as far as I know there is no "curl" in the motion. I think you're just stupposed to whip your elbows under the bar. I've tried PCs with just the bar or a small amount of weight and it feels really unnatural. I am no pro though. I'm barely even amateur in fact so disregard this if necessary.

Sleepy Guy
03-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I wish I thought of it while I had the chance. Allot of videos on cleans and the likes but low quality makes them marginally useful.

Need a high def camera and some one who can do post production. Not to mention a proficient lifter.

thewicked
03-30-2008, 05:35 PM
depends on what you consider light weight for cleans.. a 25 per side or a 45 would be more than sufficient.

Fuzzy
03-31-2008, 02:26 AM
Just stick to the pulls, forget cleans.

THE END.