PDA

View Full Version : Squat/DL form check

fpr
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Finally got a video camera. I know the angle isn't the greatest, if it's that bad I'll retake the video.

Squat 225 x 8

S63IYTcZEqM

DL 275 x 5

oK3snx9kdKM

bjohnso
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Squat it's hard to tell - the bottom half is obscured. With your deadlift, it looks like your rounding your back quite a bit.

fpr
03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I'll have to redo the squat video. How do I straighten the back out any more? I'm looking straight ahead.... I thought it was pretty rigid, any suggestions?

bjohnso
03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
It's probably a question of flexibility. I'm no physiology expert, but I think it may be due to tight hamstrings and glutes. I know for me, conventional deadlifts are kind of tough because my huge gut makes it difficult to keep an arched/straight back in the bottom position.

You could try widening your stance a little and working on flexibility. Make an effort to stick your @ss back as far as you can, and puff out your chest. See if that helps.

dynamo
03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
try having your arms in between your legs next time you dead lift, may help you get lower, and keep your back from rounding.

fpr
03-27-2008, 08:29 PM
I'll give sumo a try, haven't tried it before. Any disadvantages to it, e.g. not being able to lift as much? I'll go low to start.

bjohnso
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I find that sumo takes a lot more leg strength to lift comparable weight. You might lose some poundage if your legs are weak, but it's worth it IMO.

Ben Moore
03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Can't tell on the squat.

DL looked as if that weight was very easy since you walked it back into the rack. Try keeping the bar closer to the shins. Head back into the traps. You're back rounding a little should be corrected by getting the bar back a bit.

Ryan Celli
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I think the DL's look great. Only thing I would change would be the running shoes! You need a flat soled shoe, that will keep you from leaning forward.
The squats are hard to tell from that video.
Keep up the good work.
Ryan

fpr
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
On my way up I am scraping my shins with the bar, I'll have to reexamine it and see if I can get the bar any closer. One thing I've noticed is that I seem to scrape my left side more (I'm left-hand dominant), and barely touch the right. I've checked positioning and I feel like I'm straight. Maybe it has to do with my mixed grip ... pronated on the left, suppinated on the right.

EDIT: When I take a new vid of my squats what's the best angle to take the video from? Saggital view?

Nosaj
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Sumo DL seems to lift a few extra pounds from the examples I've seen. I'm a conventional DL'er myself, but sumo is a good change of pace. As far as the shins go, that's just how it goes man. Shins get tore up, thighs get brutalized. Part of the game. I pulled off a big strip of skin on my right quad (through my shorts) doing rack pulls the other day. The upside is the skin grows back stronger the next time around.

To your original form question. Everything looks decent, good weights, good form. Always room for tweaking though, keep asking questions, trying suggestions/advice and find what works best for you. You'll find what works and what doesn't, just try and figure it out before you get too strong or else the trial and error process might include an injury which is no good.

Personally, I'm a fan of using support equipment to limit body damage. Wraps while squatting, knee wraps while DL'ing (limits shin/knee/thigh wear and tear). Find what works for you.