PDA

View Full Version : Getting faster for football with squats and deadlifts?

gauchos21
03-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I wanted to know if squats and deadlifts actually get you faster. I have heard that they can make you slower, but i dont know if thats true or not. And if it is good, should you aquat heavy with low reps or light with high reps?

Trevor M.
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
The only way squats would make you slower is if you tried sprinting right after a heavy squat session.

As for making you faster? Maybe. Speed is a very complicated thing. You can have all the strength in the world. But if your neuromuscular efficiency ain't where it should be. You will be slow as hell no matter how strong you are.

It sure as hell help when you are pushing your way through wannabe tacklers, though.

Squat heavy. I would, however, add a set of high reps from time to time with any movement, though. But most of the time go heavy.

Go for the athletic squat. This will have the most carry over to the real world.
Don't go to failure each workout.
If you are going to football practice quite often. You might want to keep the weights to a 1-2day a week limit. No better way to "burn" out than to hit the weights heavy and go to hard ass football practice 3-5 days a week.
Make sure to eat and rest up well, also.

schmitty199
03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I wanted to know if squats and deadlifts actually get you faster. I have heard that they can make you slower, but i dont know if thats true or not. And if it is good, should you aquat heavy with low reps or light with high reps?

In general they'll help quite a bit. And if you truely want to get faster im hoping your in track right now.

Klotz
03-27-2008, 10:00 PM
If you do heavy squats and deadlifts with no speed training, you'll get slower.

Fast squats and deadlifts and olympic lifts mixed in with the heavy stuff will make you stronger and faster.

Coachmanor
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Try Super Cleans or the Bear

For both the first time you do this go light or you may give out before you need to.

Super Clean - Start with a regular power clean but as you set it back down CONTROLED you release jump forward over and the backwards over the bar regrip and repeat. This is a Clean with Plyometrics built into it. It improves explosiveness, body control and leg quickness.

The Bear - Power Clean into a Push Press, then set on the shoulders, squat to below 90 degrees, up, Push Press, Snatch Squat, Return to begining stage of lift.

Both are 2 to 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps.