PDA

View Full Version : without 1gr protein/lb of bw

Mission
03-29-2008, 11:16 AM
This has been on my mind for a while. I've been going by the mantra of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for several years and the results have been pretty good.

What would happen if someone who lifted regularly didn't get 1gr/lb? Would their strength never go up? Muscle mass? Both?

Paul Stagg
03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
No one really knows. The studies done on protein consumption and athletes, as I recall, don't give a certain answer. The best we can do is use the information and make an educated guess, and that educated guess is that about 1g per pound is about right.

I've gained both strength and muscle mass on less, and on more. More seemed to work better, but n=1.

Klotz
03-29-2008, 07:12 PM
You can still make gains.

thewicked
03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
This has been on my mind for a while. I've been going by the mantra of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for several years and the results have been pretty good.

What would happen if someone who lifted regularly didn't get 1gr/lb? Would their strength never go up? Muscle mass? Both?

it all depends on the person..i just ramped up my protien with shakes and more meats, etc. until i found out what I responded to the best..as i grow obviously the amount grows with it but it's a trial and error thing that takes a litlte time to figure out. I'd use the 1gram per lb as a start always..if you're not seeing the growth youw ant but still are taking in the total calories you need then just add more til you see a change either in the mirror or on the scale!