PDA

View Full Version : Some Power Cleans...How's My Form?

Notorious
03-29-2008, 03:21 PM
eVhmOS5LkZA

So I took someone's advice and got a video of myself doing some cleans...only problem is I thought of this while at the gym so the videos were taken on a crappy quality camera phone.

That's 115, 125, and 135 lbs. Not sure what my max is, but probably not much higher than 135 at this point. The 115 and 125 are off of two 5lb plates to make a more realistic ROM. The bar in those is probably a cm or so too low.

Some things I noticed:

The power cleans are slightly mistimed. (The stomp and the catch aren't at the exactly same time).

I could probably get under the bar more. I think this is a flexibility problem. I have trouble with narrow stance squats, so dipping down more causes my stance to be excessively wide.

Am I pulling with my arms at all?

Also at higher weights, sometimes I catch the bar slightly too low, like at the tip of my shoulders, and kind of roll it back.

How should I approach these problems?

I also know I'm gonna get comments on the shoes, but it's between those and basketball shoes until I can get something better.

Any other comments, tips, suggestions, etc would be appreciated:)

Notorious
03-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Here's the same 135, but in slow motion. Fast forward to 47 seconds.

F7neosznbNk

Thought that might help.

Notorious
03-30-2008, 09:45 AM
C'mon, 80 views, almost a day, and no replies? Are they really THAT good? haha

Guess I'll post this in the Oly section.

frankzanewannab
03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
i like doing them with out much of the "jump" from your feet. i do this on my back day so i want it to really hit the back. pretty much keep my feet planted with some tip toe towards the end.

KingJustin
03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I think your form is solid. You should try to shoot your hips through a little more and "pop" them at the end to give you more momentum. I also don't like the jump. I used to do them with one until my friend that has a 295 lb snatch made fun of me and explained that nobody at a high level does it.

frankzanewannab
03-30-2008, 08:03 PM
295 lb snatch....... lol
as old as i get i still can't help but laugh at this.

KingJustin
03-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Someone delete my post, please. I'm dumb.

frankzanewannab
03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
i was making a juvenile joke reffering to the name of the lift..... i'm not doubting you.

Runty
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm pretty sure your supposed to try and jump a little bit, but you just don't see it higher weights because it's hard to get even a little bit of air under yourself. When you watch a lot of training videos with lighter weights, even the pros jump up and slam their feet when the bar hits the shoulders. (or lockout for snatch)

Notorious
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I think your form is solid. You should try to shoot your hips through a little more and "pop" them at the end to give you more momentum. I also don't like the jump. I used to do them with one until my friend that has a 295 lb snatch made fun of me and explained that nobody at a high level does it.

What do you mean by "popping" my hips at the end?

Also, I was under the impression that the jump was the most important part of the lift. Guess I was wrong? Do high level Oly lifters not jump at all, or just not as much? I can see how jumping too high would be a waste of energy and might slightly increase the ROM, but not trying to jump at all seems really hard.

I'm pretty sure your supposed to try and jump a little bit, but you just don't see it higher weights because it's hard to get even a little bit of air under yourself. When you watch a lot of training videos with lighter weights, even the pros jump up and slam their feet when the bar hits the shoulders. (or lockout for snatch)

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I obviously am no expert though.

Should I focus on trying not to jump, or will it just happen naturally as I start getting to higher weights?

KingJustin
03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-838786570075803024&q=clean+and+jerk&total=2693&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

frankzanewannab
03-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Someone delete my post, please. I'm dumb.

lol... i've done that numerous times