PDA

View Full Version : Skinny on the outside, fat on the inside.

rayzor
03-30-2008, 04:59 AM
Earlier this week a friend of mine was told by a doctor that he had a fatty liver and needed to change his diet and start exercising. He is the skinny computer geek type and eats nothing but Mc'Donalds and KFC.

Never having lifted any weights, he came to me for advice and I pointed him towards WBB.

I was curious about his situation and started browsing the web for more information.

I found many articles which talk about the differences between "regular" fat under the skin and fat around/in your organs. Some used the example of a sumo wrestler and the misconception of them being overweight and having a heart attack some day, when they are healthier than the skinny person who does little exercise if any and has an unhealthy diet.

My questions are...

Is this true?
Surely sumo wrestlers are still at risk of heart disease?
How does this apply to people trying to bulk?

koal4e
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
This can be caused by severe weight loss or malnutrition...if your friend is really skinny and predominately lives off Mcdonalds and KFC which dont carry alot of the nutrients his body needs then this could be a cause.

If your friend is not getting enough calories, is not eating enough protein, vitamins or minerals then this could be down to malnutrition. All he needs to do is have a healthier lifestyle when it comes to food.

Sumo wrestlers are still in the bracket for heart risk because they are classed as obese and the weight will put a strain on their body, but what you talking about is the fact that the foods they eat are healthy and naturally grown and dont have so many trans fats as say what your friend was eating with his processed foods from takeaway outlets.

EternalSearcher
03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I think Sumo wrestlers are less at risk, because they eat massive amount of healthier food. They not loaded on KFC, and Mickey D's. Living off of fast food will eventually catch up to him, and you should sit down and talk to him about it.

ProLogic
03-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't get why people eat a lot of high calorie foods, sit on the computer all day and not gain weight. Could it be worms?

cmaggs
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't get why people eat a lot of high calorie foods, sit on the computer all day and not gain weight. Could it be worms?

Genetics. Besides if he's that skinny I doubt he eats much (regardless of what it is).