PDA

View Full Version : Some Power Cleans...How's My Form?

Notorious
03-30-2008, 09:47 AM
eVhmOS5LkZA

So I took someone's advice and got a video of myself doing some cleans...only problem is I thought of this while at the gym so the videos were taken on a crappy quality camera phone.

That's 115, 125, and 135 lbs. Not sure what my max is, but probably not much higher than 135 at this point. The 115 and 125 are off of two 5lb plates to make a more realistic ROM. The bar in those is probably a cm or so too low.

Here's the same 135, but in slow motion. Fast forward to 47 seconds.

F7neosznbNk

Some things I noticed:

The power cleans are slightly mistimed. (The stomp and the catch aren't at the exactly same time).

I could probably get under the bar more. I think this is a flexibility problem. I have trouble with narrow stance squats, so dipping down more causes my stance to be excessively wide.

Am I pulling with my arms at all?

Also at higher weights, sometimes I catch the bar slightly too low, like at the tip of my shoulders, and kind of roll it back.

How should I approach these problems?

Any other comments, tips, suggestions, etc would be appreciated:)

Chubrock
03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
It appears as though you start bending at the arms very soon instead of shrugging the weight first.

Sleepy Guy
03-30-2008, 01:58 PM
I would say get lower into it sticking out your ass. Keep the bar very close to the body. Bend the arms after the final thrust with the legs and raps.

To get deeper practice front squats and doing clean/squats with a light weight. Basically a full clean.

As for the bar landing low. Two things can be done. Dip lower into it and keep it closer allowing a much harder shrug. It does not look like you are utilizing your traps and back as well as you could be.

I think with some form tweaks you could up your poundage significantly.

thewicked
03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
i'm not really sure where to point you..yo'uve got a good base to start. in slow motion it looks good and solid since you're just getting into it. you kept moving up and didn't seem to have any serious sticking points. Nice looking lift man.

Notorious
03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna do some power shrugs or something to see if I can fix the arms bending early. I think the shrug is probably the weakest point of my form.

Also gonna try full cleans a little until I get used to getting low under the bar.

strongkid963
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
do you normally have a bunch of large ball around you when you train?
j/k

I don't know what good form is on power cleans all I know is try not to round your back (not saying you do that).