PDA

View Full Version : squat form check follow-up

fpr
03-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Here's a follow-up squat video, last video was bad angle.

These didn't feel that great while doing them, I hadn't eaten much and my hip and ankle joints were very achey for some reason. It felt like much more than 225... so I expect my form isn't that great, like I said... bad day.

225 x 7
qej6QhN2oio

225 x 5
6Ph3TIx4354

McVein
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
you seem to be coming off your heels alot, try losing the running shoes and either go barefoot or get some flat soles.

Jorge Sanchez
03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
It's kind of hard to tell in that vidoe -- the quality isn't great -- but it looks like you're a little loosey goosey. It doesn't look like you're keeping a tight arch at the bottom of your squat. You should also try sitting back more.

BFGUITAR
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeh, heels are coming off.

fpr
03-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I do notice the heels popping up. I'll have to look into a new pair of shoes or try going barefoot. Does it look like I'm at least going parallel?

RickTheDestroyer
03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
I think you're hitting parallel with most of them, but not by a lot because you've got a fair degree of forward lean and you're not sitting back enough (it can be hard to tell with the dark shorts).
Aside from the shoes, the main issue is that you're not tight under the bar at all. Get some chucks (or fake chucks $10-15 at Walmart), or go barefoot, and make sure you're getting tight, taking a deep breath, and focusing on arching harder and sitting back some as you squat. You should probably also work on stretching your hammies and IT bands a little.

Ryan Celli
03-31-2008, 07:53 AM
First, You need to find new shoes. You need a flat hard sole. Running shoes are soft and have a heel, this plays a major role in your unstableness. I've never seen someone move their feet so much, believe it or not, this maybe why your having ankle and hip pain!

Once you change the shoes, you need to learn to sit back....start the decent with your hips shooting back, your starting with your knees. starting with your knees throws your knees forward and is NOT what you want. Notice your knees out in front of your toes,,,,not good. It places a tremendous amount of stress on your knees. you want your shin perpendicular to the floor.

You want every rep to look the same. YDDwPgfIVZc

Work on these few things a shoot us another video.
Ryan

fpr
03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
You want every rep to look the same. YDDwPgfIVZc

Work on these few things a shoot us another video.
Ryan

Thanks again, I think once I get these few things sorted out I'll be able to lift even more!

Would it help on my next video if I recorded at the same angle as the video that you provided? ^^

Travis Bell
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
do what Ryan said, he knows his crap for sure

Ryan Celli
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks again, I think once I get these few things sorted out I'll be able to lift even more!

Would it help on my next video if I recorded at the same angle as the video that you provided? ^^

no your angle was better.

fpr
04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I've tried working on my form, and unfortunately, these are my final set of squats for a while. It's kind of weird, after having everyone tell me what bad form I have and that I may end up with an injury.... it has begun!

Started getting some mild symptoms of patella-femoral syndrome and now not only is my right hip bothering me, (almost like a tendon strain right at the hip joint, I think it's the hip flexors?) but my left one too. So I've decided to give the squats a rest for a few weeks before this resolves itself.

QUESTION: Do you guys think I stop legs for a few weeks altogether? After doing the below squats in the video today (I only did 2 sets of 225x5), I tried some other leg exercises. Machine Hack squats felt fine, leg press and lunges bothered my hips. Should I give legs a rest altogether or only do hack squats/ hamstring/ calfs for the next few weeks?

It's not that painful, maybe a 3-4 out of 10, I'm just worried that if I keep pushing it I may cause serious injury.

Once again thanks for the advice and help.

aZ6TUYZG2i8

fpr
04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
bump

RickTheDestroyer
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Definitely don't stop squatting, especially if you're swapping it out for something ****ty like machines. These are definitely somewhat better than they were. You still need to sit back farther and work on going a little bit deeper. Watch Ryan's squats- you see how his shins barely move at all throughout the squat? Compare that with yours. The difference is that he's sitting back.

If you need to, imagine that someone's standing behing you with a string tied around your sack and they're pulling it backwards. Let that be how you start your squats. Do a couple like that tomorrow with 185 and post them on up so we can look at them.

Your hip pain sounds like tight iliotibial bands. Do a google search for how to stretch those and start doing it daily. I'd bet money that your hips feel better within the week.

Ben Moore
04-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Hard to tell, but turn your toes out a bit more and think about bending at the hips first then breaking with the knees. Couple that with pushing the knees out.

Also, with the hip pain it could be tight muscles. Stretch the hell out of your quads, glutes and hamstrings. Try some foam rolling of the IT bands as well.

Ryan Celli
04-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Your still not sitting back enough. You really should have shoes on!

I would not stop squatting, unless you can't correct your form. Hack squats done incorrectly are going to be worse for your knees than anything!

Have you tried box squats? they can be a useful tool in teaching someone how to sit back correctly.

Ben and Rick had excellent advise. I have to admit I've never heard of the string method! haha

get some shoes and another video.

RickTheDestroyer
04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I have to admit I've never heard of the string method! haha
Hahahahaha- that was my best attempt at modifying my typical advice to tell people how to sit back on a box squat- which is to try and tap your sack on the back corner of the box. No one ever actually can because their shins will hit the front edge of the box, but it helps give people a feel of what sitting back really means.

fpr
04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
The hip is bothersome 24/7, I'm not bitching or anything, but it does ache when I flex the knee, even with no load (i.e. weights)

Think I just try and stretch it or give it a rest?

It looks like it may be an IT issue since it inserts into the knees and I'm experiencing knee problems too

And about the shoe thing, I thought I saw someone mention to do it w/out shoes. I would try the chucks except that I have a really wide forefoot (4E)

BFGUITAR
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Sit back more! Pretend your gonna sit on the toilet.

RickTheDestroyer
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Just stretch and foam roll and you'll be fine, there's no need to rest it- you're tight, not injured.
As far as footwear, chucks>barefoot>running shoes with big soft heels. I have big ass paddle feet too, but I still use chucks to squat. They're not comfy, but you won't be wearing them more than a few hours a week anyway (at most).