PDA

View Full Version : Power clean update!

BFGUITAR
03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, this is my second session trying them. I did what fuzz said, and naturally, it worked. I see a lot of people doing power cleans at the gym but no one does it with the hip drive. I seem to have gotten that concept down (not perfect obviously).

My problem is coordinating the shrug with the hip drive. It seems a bit odd for me, is there a way I can work on that?

Detard
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Video?

motoko013
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
what exactly is the hip drive?

BFGUITAR
03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Well the bar comes off the quads, perhaps a hip drive is a bad way of explaining it.

I dont have a video at the moment, I will try to get one soon.

Killa Kurt
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm looking for help on form with power cleans also.....try to get a video up.

Runty
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Try leaning further over the bar at the bottom. I think when you do cleans your shoulders are supposed to be a tad bit further over the bar than when doing deads. So you can pull back more when you shrug. I think the backward pull from the shrug and forward push from the hips are supposed to cancel out and fling the bar straight up.

JHarris
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Timing the shrug is hard; with most of the athletes I have coached, it just clicks one day after weeks of practice and me saying every cue I can possibly imagine to them.

That being said, here are the cues I would use: shrug as you are finishing your ankle extension. Imagine the momentum of the lift being passed from your ankles into your shoulders. You can also consider waiting to shrug until you are full upright so you get the most vertical shrug you possibly can - the more up and down the motion is, the more efficient. If you feel the bar going forward at any point of a pull (not necessarily a full lift), then you are either shrugging early or ramming the bar. (Some leg/hip contact with the bar is ideal, but you don't want to just be slamming into it, sending it forward. Remember that the end goal of the lift is to get the weight up.)

I hope that helps. Are you in the US or the UK? If so, I can probably get you in touch with someone who would coach you for free.

BFGUITAR
04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I live in Canada, so unless you know people who live in Toronto/London, I'm out of luck!

I will do exactly as you say.

thewicked
04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Timing the shrug is hard; with most of the athletes I have coached, it just clicks one day after weeks of practice and me saying every cue I can possibly imagine to them.

That being said, here are the cues I would use: shrug as you are finishing your ankle extension. Imagine the momentum of the lift being passed from your ankles into your shoulders. You can also consider waiting to shrug until you are full upright so you get the most vertical shrug you possibly can - the more up and down the motion is, the more efficient. If you feel the bar going forward at any point of a pull (not necessarily a full lift), then you are either shrugging early or ramming the bar. (Some leg/hip contact with the bar is ideal, but you don't want to just be slamming into it, sending it forward. Remember that the end goal of the lift is to get the weight up.)

I hope that helps. Are you in the US or the UK? If so, I can probably get you in touch with someone who would coach you for free.

thanks justin! solid info!