PDA

View Full Version : question about westside powerlifting

jroc
03-18-2002, 09:23 PM
i was reading the article here on the westside powerlifting techniques. For their bench, the pecs are never mentioned. if i train this way, with the emphasis not on the pecs, but on tri's, back and traps, will this still get you a huge- aesteticaly pleasing- chest?
- and one more thing- which is best for your chest, close grip bench or a wider, hands above your elbows grip? im pretty sure the wider you go, the more shoulder you hit, and the closer grip you use focuses more on the tri's - this is what i learned from MD

Chris Rodgers
03-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Is your goal to get strong or to get a "huge- aesteticaly pleasing- chest"?

PowerManDL
03-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Westside doesn't focus a lot on the chest because of their emphasis on bench shirts. Personally, I've never found the need to do "chest" work while pressing as much as they do.

nightop
05-05-2002, 04:07 PM
bump... I'm about to start some westside training and I'm wondering the same thing. I put on chest mass easily and I'm more so looking for triceps size and strength rather than chest size.. will westside blow up my chest ?

Adam
05-06-2002, 02:10 PM
It might make your chest bigger it might not, to take emphasis off of your chest make sure that your elbows are in by your sides while pressin

nate allan
05-06-2002, 08:45 PM
nightop- since you will be doing westside with alot of floor presses, board presses, lockouts, and band work, I would not worry about getting a big chest, these focus more on your lockout so your triceps and lats will play a larger role. On DE day you will be focused more on speed and explosion than on working the muscle of the chest.

nightop
05-06-2002, 09:04 PM
okay thanks guys. It's not that I'm worried about getting a huge chest, its just that I already have great chest size but would like to bring up the strength and density.

Paul Stagg
05-07-2002, 07:58 AM
I've been training westside since the beginning of this year.

I'm dieting, so I'm getting a liitle smaller all over.

My chest looks about the same as it did when I started.

Since I lift raw, I'll include a little more chest work - I'll probably keep some sort of DB press in the routine on my ME days.

You can tailor Westide training to suit your needs.

Chris Rodgers
05-07-2002, 02:07 PM
I honestly think my upper torso(chest/back) has thickened up over the past few monhs and my weight hasn't gone up. I dunno.