PDA

View Full Version : Fatloss : cutting calories vs cardio

SDS
04-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Obviously cardio is good for various reasons, but will the net effect be the same? If I cut 500 calories from my diet and do no cardio, or if I continue my diet as-is and burn 500 calories doing cardio.......will the fatloss and body shape/composition be the exact same?

krboyd7
04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I would cut your calories slightly and also do cardio.. I find it hard to drop enough calories on their own without it been detrimental to my newly found muscle.
Whats your maint cals at the moment?

SDS
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
'bout 2700, 3000 on cardio days (I'm not trying to cut). I do cardio for the obvious physical benefits. I'm just curious if there's any real world experience that says someone will look different by cutting via cardio instead of dieting, or vice versa. I agree that doing both will yield a quicker weight loss, but will one or the other minimize lean mass loss (assuming proper resistance training), or will one or the other cause greater fat loss in specific areas, or will it matter at all? I don't think it matters at all, just curious about other peoples experience

Spartan936
04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm not going to back this up with any evidence, but:

resistance training + calorie deficit = fat loss

resistance training + calorie deficit + cardio = slightly more fat loss

beachmuscles
04-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Me personally I think it's better to do cutting calories / hard training and no cardio...but cardio helps when you are trying to get freaky lean (contest) The thing with cardio is you don't know your burning 500 calories, other then the inaccurate reading the machine shows.

Built
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I seem to recall reading research that demonstrated weight loss is greater with cardio, but fat loss is greater without (given a net caloric deficit blah blah blah).

That being said, a little cardio can contribute to the deficit. Just don't look to it for the majority of that deficit.

Morox
04-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Well, since I am cutting at the moment, this is good news for me. I wasn't sure if I should have some extreme cardio going on or not. I HATE cardio...

Built
04-05-2008, 02:32 AM
YOU hate cardio?

I wrote an entire article (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/)about how much I hate it!