PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain

csi
04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
1. So far I have been somewhat steadily gaining 1-2 lbs per month. What is the optimum amount of weight I should be gaining per week or month? Or more specifically is there a max rate at which muscle is built? is it only possible to gain 3 lbs of muscle a month?

2. This probably is all in my mind, but I think my BF has dropped half a percent to two percent max. Nothing dramatic but I think I have lost fat. If it is true that I am losing fat does that mean I am not eating enough calories or that I could be eating more calories? I'm all for a hard gain in mass but I'm more concerned about maximizing muscle growth and worry about cutting later. I don't want to leave any potential muscle growth at the table.

Unreal
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
3lbs of muscle a month would be amazing. 1lb a week of weight gain is solid, but I wouldn't expect it to all be muscle. It depends on genetics, and all sorts of factors. See what works for you. If you are gaining too much fat then slow it down.

SMK41
04-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah gaining any more than 1 lbs per week and you are probably gaining more fat than you need to. If you are only gaining 1-2 lbs a month you could probably still add one more (~200-300 cal) snack into your diet per day to get a few extra cals and get your gains to around 3-4 lbs a month. As long as you are lifting hard the extra weight should be pretty lean.

csi
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks you two. I will up my intake and see if my pounds per month increases.

That being said out of curiosity what about question #2? Let's say hypothetically that I am increased my intake 300+ cals and am gaining 3-4 lb of muscle a month. At the same time my BF% is slowly dropping. Does that mean I am not eating as much as I should be eating? Clearly my body is craving more energy as it is eating away at fat.

Then again I'll just assume if I am gaining 3-4 lbs my body composition will remain the same?

Bupp
04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
If you are gaining 3 pounds a month and your lifts are going up then you should just stick with what you are doing until it stops working/you get too fat.

If the weight is going up on the bar and on the scale then don't **** with it.

Unreal
04-02-2008, 03:54 PM
If you are just gaining LBM or more LBM then fat then your BF% will go down. This does not mean your body is burning fat.