PDA

View Full Version : elbow pain

Lones Green
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
pretty common problem i guess. ive been having really bad pain in both my elbows after benching, i benched monday and my elbows are still hurting tonight. i made a makeshift ice apparatus with an ice pack and knee wraps. ibproufen also helps. i was wondering if anyone else has other suggestions or methods to help. the weird thing is i don't get this pain EVERY bench session, just every now and then. thanks guys!

Travis Bell
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
really ice is the best way. go to the local pharmarcy or wherever and find an ice pack. Most places will have a sleeve for the elbow. I have a neoprene sleeve for my ice pack and its great. I usually put it on after each bench session for about 20min each elbow (10 on 10 off, 10 on etc) and I'm all good

I try and stay away from ibuprofen unless I really have to because I just don't like to get dependent on it but sometimes its necessary

Lones Green
04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
really ice is the best way. go to the local pharmarcy or wherever and find an ice pack. Most places will have a sleeve for the elbow. I have a neoprene sleeve for my ice pack and its great. I usually put it on after each bench session for about 20min each elbow (10 on 10 off, 10 on etc) and I'm all good

I try and stay away from ibuprofen unless I really have to because I just don't like to get dependent on it but sometimes its necessary

i was hoping you'd respond, videos of you with 500+ raw i KNEW you at least some elbow pain. i did heavy squats the day before i benched. i might just start icing them after every session. blue heat helps during sessions.

Travis Bell
04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah, I ice even if they don't hurt. what I've found is if I do the ice work after benching, I'm good for the rest of the week. If I don't, sometimes they'll feel a little odd the rest of the week, not hurt, just weird

Ben Moore
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Dude, I feel like someone has run over my elbows and biceps after that meet, LOL. I may have to ice some tonight.

Rusty
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
The worst is speed bench for me. Massage and ice.

Xellarz
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
My elbows used to throb after heavy boards, but after a few weeks (2-3) of doing some pressdowns, my elbows no longer hurt. I'd recommend trying it because they're simple and quick to add to the end of the workout, and if it doesn't work after 3 weeks, then stop doing 'em and stick with your icing, etc.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
pretty common problem i guess. ive been having really bad pain in both my elbows after benching, i benched monday and my elbows are still hurting tonight. i made a makeshift ice apparatus with an ice pack and knee wraps. ibproufen also helps. i was wondering if anyone else has other suggestions or methods to help. the weird thing is i don't get this pain EVERY bench session, just every now and then. thanks guys!

1). Reduce your volume
2). Ice elbow/tricep region after every bp workout.
3). Use rubbing anti inflammatory ointment(Bio freeze,etc) immediately before & after workout.
4). Try 3-5 rep range instead of singles for a while.
5). Ice your elbow/tricep region 1-day before your bp workout too.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.criticalbench.com/JT-Hall-Big-Willie.htm
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Tim K
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
1). Reduce your volume
3). Use rubbing anti inflammatory ointment(Bio freeze,etc) immediately before & after workout.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Good info! Thanks!

nhlfan
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM
elitefts sells some kind of wrap that is supposed to help elbows

Lones Green
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM
1). Reduce your volume

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

thanks man. blue heat seems to be helping quite a bit during workouts.

Lones Green
04-02-2008, 10:48 AM
elitefts sells some kind of wrap that is supposed to help elbows

just harris swears by this. if it gets too bad i might try it.

thewicked
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
prowriststraps.com APT sells elbow wraps and sleeves that keep fluid pressure in and around your elbow to really help keep away and all discomfort from such things.

last friday I bombed a big squat and hyper extended my right elbow. NOW what I do for any and all elbow issues is alot of rehab and prehab work with light hammer curls and over hand then under hand pressdowns for high reps..i'm talking 50 reps or better of each.

what this does is flushes blood into the area that creates the pump we all know and love..what that creates is your body's own type of "pressure bandage" not only does the build up of fluid pressure ease the pain back some but also fills the area with oxygenated and HEALING blood to help recoup the area faster. Now i do hammers and press downs before and after all benching days just to keep my elbows in good shape and never have a problem.

just doing those has made it to where i was able to bench today with no problems where sunday I couldn't put up that much at lal and friday when I dumped the squat it made it to where my arm wasn't killing me all night.

www.prowriststraps.com will provide you wiht any and all the goodies you need to help rehab that elbow for sure.

bigmoney
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
One guy I lift with has something similar to these : http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/95498

They are not as thick, but keep the elbow nice and warm throughout. Like wicked said, when I have pain during a workout, I do some really high rep hammer curls and push downs between sets which seems to help a little bit.

Rusty
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
just harris swears by this. if it gets too bad i might try it.

If you do, let us all know how it goes.

TommyBoy
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I wear elbow sleeves for everything.....even leg curls! But the speed was the worst on my elbows...speed and various tricep movements. So I cut back to 1 bench day per week, and I only do pushdowns for my tri's, and somehow I managed to get rid of my elbow pain and my bench got way stronger. Go figure.

vdizenzo
04-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Do rolling dumbell tricep extensions with moderate weight for sets of ten. This exercise really helps to stretch your tricep and helps reduce pain in the elbows. Just make sure to do them in a nice fluid motion.

Runty
04-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I've heard that grip training can help with some elbow pains. IronMind advertised some extensor bands which are supposed to help relieve pain in/around elbows. I bought them because I wasn't sure what exactly I was ordering(got excited when buying my new CoC grip trainers and just threw em in for $10). I'd recommend just getting some various width thickness rubber bands and do high rep sets.

Darracq
04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Get a big bowl and put ice and water in it, then soak your elbows, it hurts like hell but works.

PriestCometh
04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Ice ice baby

do you flare your elbows out alot when you bench?
I ask because when i used to go elbows out when i benched
my elbows always took a beating.

Lones Green
04-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Ice ice baby

do you flare your elbows out alot when you bench?
I ask because when i used to go elbows out when i benched
my elbows always took a beating.

somewhat. i still don't have a shirt, so my loads aren't TOO heavy. i think i'm just not giving my elbows enough time to recover...between my job and training, they take a massive beating. i'm taking today off...that gives me a solid 3 days before training again.

vinnie- i love rolling DB extensions. i do them with mini's sometimes. i will definetely try the 10 rep thing out, thanks.