PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

BFGUITAR
04-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Yesterday I was doing two sets of 300x5 deadlifts. I did the first set no problem, but the second set... I failed on the last rep. Got half way up, dropped it, yelled **** and kicked the weights. Of course people started staring lol.

So, next time I go to the gym, should I try and hit 2 sets of 300x5 or maybe one set of 305 and the next one 300? I want to keep progressing.

TopCat
04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Your a pretty active member and I bet you already know what most people will tell you...

I personally believe only you can decide. Some days are just bad days. If you don't progress for a while try and locate what it is that is hindering you. Rest, caloric intake, stress, pre/post nutrition. Usually as I warm up I can kind of tell how the following sets will go. Give the 305's a shot and then decide from there what you can do. Lastly, remember not to push yourself to failing a rep every time.

Honestly though, no need to be pissed about being 1 rep shy of what you wanted to hit!

BFGUITAR
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeh but I hate missing my goals! lol

And that's what I was thinking of doing, but I just wanted to know what you guys do in situations like this. I will give 305 a chance and see how it goes.

But im pretty happy... my 5 rep max went up by 15 pounds in squat and 25 pounds in deadlifts in 2 weeks! My bench is another story... I completely changed my technique and starting from 135. :thumbup:

Detard
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Ryan did you seriously have to ask this question? Youve been around here for a while, you should know what to do. Take everything in stride and keep looking ahead. Every session cant be amazing.

Invain
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
How long have you been doing only 5 rep sets? I'm sure you already know this, but switch stuff up once in a while. I pretty much never do the same workout each week anymore. Throw some high rep stuff in once in a while.

If you don't mind, what did you change about your bench, and why are you starting over at 135?

Mik
04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Yesterday I was doing two sets of 300x5 deadlifts. I did the first set no problem, but the second set... I failed on the last rep. Got half way up, dropped it, yelled **** and kicked the weights. Of course people started staring lol.

So, next time I go to the gym, should I try and hit 2 sets of 300x5 or maybe one set of 305 and the next one 300? I want to keep progressing.

I say next time pull 315 and kick the people who laughed. :)

BFGUITAR
04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I ask because does one rep really justify having to do it all again? I have always had the mentality "If you can't do it, try again or lower the weights".

And Ive been doing this for 2 weeks. I have been pushing myself hard.

Better foot placement, tighter back, tighter arch, and most of all, im bringing my elbows in a lot more. I thought they were in enough but a few friends of mine they were pretty far off.

thewicked
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM

that's called motivation..

i bet you'll get it next time won't ya! :D