PDA

View Full Version : Which deadlift to use?

Runty
04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm slowly becoming more interested in the idea of getting into Olympic style lifting and was wondering about which way to deadlift. My first thoughts were obviously to use the conventional stance since it so similar to a clean or snatch. But then I got to thinking that one of the main reasons Olympic lifters do DLs is get extra hamstring work they miss out on from doing Olympic lifts and extra work(front squats, highbar close stance back squats, etc). And if thats the case, would it be more beneficial to recruit as much hamstring as possible during DLs and do sumo?

BFGUITAR
04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Sumo is for powerlifters.

Oly lifters all I can guess do conventional or snatch grip deadlifts.

Notorious
04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I would stick to conventional. If you want to target hamstrings, different squatting styles would probably be more effective.

EDIT: Or obviously, GMs.

SGT ROCK
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Explosive conventional pulls, and heavy GMs.

Semper Fi

Xellarz
04-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Exactly what SGT Rock said.

jtteg_x
04-04-2008, 03:10 AM
conventional will be more beneficial toward your oly lifting progress. sumo are for PLs as mentioned and for lifters who have endomorph body types that take great advantage of it (like me)

Lones Green
04-04-2008, 05:05 AM
do both! naturally i was comfortable with conv. to start with, i changed over to sumo and strengthened my hips and eventually pulled more. CR would be good to ask with this one, he's the DL king.

thewicked
04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
do both! naturally i was comfortable with conv. to start with, i changed over to sumo and strengthened my hips and eventually pulled more. CR would be good to ask with this one, he's the DL king.

yep..do both! sumo helps with your hip and leg power while conventional tends to be more lower back with a little bit of legs depending on how you go about pulling..

good mornings, rack pulls, pulls wiht chains, pulls wiht bands, box squats, pulls off a box...speed deads...pull throughs on a machine, kettle bell swings, etc. are all great things to do while working on your over all pull total!

Kastro
04-04-2008, 08:59 PM
If you want hamstring work you might as well just low-bar back squat. Heavy deads for increasing the bar speed off the floor when dropping back down to your c+j weight.