PDA

View Full Version : Lowering cholesterol

frank
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Besides from doing more cardio, my current diet doesnt even have the daily value of cholesterol BESIDES my protein shake. I use 4 scoops of 100% whey protein which equals 92% of my daily cholesterol intake. (23% per scoops) are there any alternatives or powders that contain little to no cholesterol?

Tikiman
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been using Isopure by Nature's Best for a little while (only buy online, otherwise extremely expensive!), which has almost zero cholesterol in it. The majority of proteins have somewhere between 5-30% of daily value, if I had to roughly estimate. Check the nutrition facts while you shop. Whey protein and whey isolate shouldn't have that much.

What exact brand are you using now?

Unless it's showing up at the doctor's office, I wouldn't worry about it.

curiosity
04-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Dietary cholesterol holds no bearing on your total cholesterol

Your liver will produce cholesterol for your body, if you intake some through food your liver will just produce less. Id worry about if your bad cholesterol levels were higher personally. Just avoid processed mono/poly fats and transfats and get in those EFA's and you shouldnt have a an issue

joelhall
04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
you shouldnt cut your cholesterol intake, its important for proper functions in the body. if youre worried about blood levels cut back on saturated fats an eat some more oily fish and olive oil.

Torrok
04-04-2008, 01:46 PM
soluble....fiber.....eat...consume...

TopCat
04-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Dietary cholesterol holds no bearing on your total cholesterol

This statement isn't really true. What you said about the body compensating is true, but if you eat way too much it will raise your cholesterol. It is why people often at risk of heart disease are suggested to watch their cholesterol intake.

OP - You have a medical condition you are trying to look out for or are you going by something you read online? Unless your doctor told you to at, your age there should be very little concern about cholesterol levels. Would help a lot if you filled us into why you are limiting your cholesterol intake.

frank
04-04-2008, 07:49 PM
This statement isn't really true. What you said about the body compensating is true, but if you eat way too much it will raise your cholesterol. It is why people often at risk of heart disease are suggested to watch their cholesterol intake.

OP - You have a medical condition you are trying to look out for or are you going by something you read online? Unless your doctor told you to at, your age there should be very little concern about cholesterol levels. Would help a lot if you filled us into why you are limiting your cholesterol intake.

i cant run for **** and i get winded easily. (if this has anythng to do with it) it will also narrow the chances of future heart problems.

curiosity
04-05-2008, 02:40 AM

Yes total cholesterol will be raised but there are two types HDL and LDL as im sure youre aware. Its like saying eating 20 eggs a day is bad for you when its been shown countless times its perfectly safe as the liver will dispose of excess. Id be more inclined to avoid damaged fats and transfats than natural ones that contain cholesterol. I also take with the American RDA and food association say with a big bucket of salt as it holds little relevance to bodybuilders and weight trainers. Apparently RDA of Vit D is only 200mg, thats enough to stop rickets but not enough for the brain to function properly

as long as you keep a varied diet with plenty of good healthy fats then i dont think it will be an issue

OP: get in shape then, start doing CV exercise if you dont exercise your heart then you will be at more risk of heart disease, youre a young one at 15 i was doing gymnastics and playing basketball, do some cardio ! Make it fun as well, play sports, do martial arts, boxing etc

frank
04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
i have a cholesterol of 180 which has lowered by 10 in 2-3 weeks. i just started doing sprints but long distance is impossible for me.

frank
04-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I've been using Isopure by Nature's Best for a little while (only buy online, otherwise extremely expensive!), which has almost zero cholesterol in it. The majority of proteins have somewhere between 5-30% of daily value, if I had to roughly estimate. Check the nutrition facts while you shop. Whey protein and whey isolate shouldn't have that much.

What exact brand are you using now?

Unless it's showing up at the doctor's office, I wouldn't worry about it.

EAS 100% whey

ZeroBurn
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Just avoid processed mono/poly fats and transfats and get in those EFA's and you shouldnt have a an issue

wait, avoid mono/poly ? i thought these were the healthy fats, mono and polo unsaturated fats increase HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol), right?

i'm genetically predispositioned for high cholesterol, so i specifically include olive oil and a lot of monounsaturated fats to help the HDL levels (oatmeal and grains to address the LDL).

unless i'm interpreting it wrong, and you mean processed mono and poly to the point they're not unsaturated fats anymore at all and they're now transfats (like deep frying something in olive oil, the heat and process causing the healthy mono to break down into unhealthy transfat).

macro
06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
repost

Oat meal and oat fiber will lower LDL cholesterol somewhat overtime.

cholesterol is only partly genetic, your diet and activity levels are significant factors as well. dietary cholesterol is pretty much a non issue, its saturated fat intake that causes increases in LDL cholesterol.

dietary reccs:
oat, oat fibers
decrease saturated fats
eliminate hydrogenated oils
increase omega 3 intake (fish)

supplement reccs:
sesapure (sesamin/episesamin)
Red yeast Rice extract (contains naturally occuring lovostatin)
Fish oil (high omega 3)
Flax oil (no lignans generally- also high in omega 3)

ShockBoxer
06-13-2008, 06:41 AM
I was looking for a topic like this. My bloodwork just came back with high cholesterol for the first time in my life, so I need/want to get it under control ASAP. Honestly, it was the second last thing I expected to see from my bloodwork (the last being HIV). I walk for thirty minutes a day and do full body sessions two or three times a week, and usually (unless I go for chinese) keep to well under the recommended max dietary intake, even with the obscene amounts of cholesterol in protein powders. So I was a little surprised.

I'll drop exteraneous saturated fats and add some omega-3s... I already eat oatmeal for breakfast and take soluble fiber supplements for my IBS. Is there anything else I can do?

the doc
06-13-2008, 07:03 PM
dietary cholesterol levels do not substantially effect serum cholesterol levels. Worry more about the type of fats you are consuming, the rest will more or less fall in line